AlanB

UK Census tags

Has anyone got a satisfactory set of sentences for 1901 census entries.

I am still experimenting and I'm not yet happy with what I've created. I've played with variations on Terry Riegel's US census tags and I think I understand how it all hangs together in TMG - I'm just not happy with my English!

At the moment I use the Principal role for the head of household and I have created two roles for Family and NonFamily enumerated witnesses.

All suggestions gratefully received

Alan

I am still experimenting and I'm not yet happy with what I've created.  I've played with variations on Terry Riegel's US census tags and I think I understand how it all hangs together in TMG - I'm just not happy with my English! 

At the moment I use the Principal role for the head of household and I have created two roles for Family and NonFamily enumerated witnesses. 

Alan

Hi Alan

I have ones that are satisfactory for me - though every now and again I tweak them :) . I tend to use Roles a lot adding new ones as necessary from the census entries. For example I have a Head of household Role with the sentence:

The 1901 census <[L]> listed [RF:Head Of Household] as head of household. <[M1].> <He was enumerated with [WO].>

Here [M1] is information on the Head's age and recorded place of birth. [WO] lists all the other persons enumerated (provided I have entered them)

The spouse will be given the Role Wife, with the sentence:

[RP:Wife] was listed as the wife of [R:Head Of Household] in the 1901 census <[L]>. <[WM].>

I enter all other persons as Witnesses and use the Witness Memo to enter their age and birth place. If there is more than one person with the same Role I use, e.g. Son1, Son2, Son3 etc. All entries are done at one time citing the one source for the census. I use one 1901 census source (all my census data has come from Ancestry images):

Ancestry.com 1901 England Census Image

and I add the reference details to the Citation detail

Any information on occupations is added as an Occupation Tag to the appropriate personagain citing the same source.

My advice is to continue experimenting, checking the output using the Individual Narative report to see how it reads. If you come up with something good please share it. Many of us are learning all the time and like to continue to pick up suggestions.

Les Wylde

I am still experimenting and I'm not yet happy with what I've created.  I've played with variations on Terry Riegel's US census tags and I think I understand how it all hangs together in TMG - I'm just not happy with my English! 

Alan

I use sentences very similar to Les. In the memo field I enter a transcription of the census for the household.

I have considered using the Witness Memo for elements of the entry such as occupation, age, place of birth but have not at the moment as I am daunted by the task of going back to change all my census entries.

I'm doing mass census entry at the moment so now might be a good time to consider it further to cut down on what I would have to change.

:santa:

Alan

Alan,

As a result of your post I've decided to change my sentences (Big Job as it also involves changing how I record the information).

The sentence for the 1851 is now

[RP:Head of Household] was enumerated as the head of the household in the 1851 census <[L]>< with [WO]>.<[PF] was recorded as [M1],><aged [M2]>< born in [M4]>< and an occupation of [M3]>[:CR:]

M1, M2, M3, M4 are marriage status, age, occupation, place of birth

The sentence for the roles is similar

[R:Daughter1] was enumerated as the daughter of [R:Head of Household] in the 1851 census <[L]>. <[RF:Daughter] was recorded as [WM1],><aged [WM2]>< born in [WM4]><and an occupation of [WM3]>[:CR:]

This makes use of the witness memo and WM1-4 are equivalent to M1-4.

I will also put a transcription of the census entry in the citation memo field.

Once I have the details recorded in a structured format then I can play with the sentence structure to produce something readable.

I will also dispense with separate Occupation tags created from the census entry.

Edited by jeffpiper

Here is another situation to consider. Suppose the person you are interested in has only a minor role, for example, as a lodger, or as one of a large number of staff and/or students in an institution or school. You have no real interest in the "Head of Household", although you might want that person to be included in the sentence for your relative. I could create a custom sentence for each of these special cases, but I have a number of relatives who were students at a boarding school, or servants in someones household, or inmates of a poor house.

I've entered my information into Ultimate Family Tree, where the concept of Principal is a bit different. Any role can easily be made "principal" and the Family Journal report will be structured appropriately. In our database, our census entries generally list and link all of the family, if they are of any interest to us. In the case of the student/servant/inmate, I usually link only the Head of Household in addition to my relative, although I briefly describe the rest of the household, to give a feel for the environment they were living in. GenBridge generally does an adequate conversion of my UFT data. However, I have not tried to enter any of my census data directly into TMG yet, using Tag types defined within TMG.

Pierce

Here is another situation to consider. Suppose the person you are interested in has only a minor role, for example, as a lodger, or as one of a large number of staff and/or students in an institution or school. You have no real interest in the "Head of Household", although you might want that person to be included in the sentence for your relative. I could create a custom sentence for each of these special cases, but I have a number of relatives who were students at a boarding school, or servants in someones household, or inmates of a poor house.

I've entered my information into Ultimate Family Tree, where the concept of Principal is a bit different. Any role can easily be made "principal" and the Family Journal report will be structured appropriately. In our database, our census entries generally list and link all of the family, if they are of any interest to us. In the case of the student/servant/inmate, I usually link only the Head of Household in addition to my relative, although I briefly describe the rest of the household, to give a feel for the environment they were living in. GenBridge generally does an adequate conversion of my UFT data. However, I have not tried to enter any of my census data directly into TMG yet, using Tag types defined within TMG.

Pierce

Pierce

I enter the person of interest as the Principal and put the contextual information in the memo field. So the memo might read "Elizabeth was enumerated as a domestic servant in the household of John Sharp, the Rector of St Mary's church, Maidford. She was unmarried, aged 18 and her birthplace was confirmed as Towcester."

Les

Alan,

As a result of your post I've decided to change my sentences (Big Job as it also involves changing how I record the information).

The sentence for the 1851 is now

[RP:Head of Household] was enumerated as the head of the household in the 1851 census <[L]>< with [WO]>.<[PF] was recorded as [M1],><aged [M2]>< born in [M4]>< and an occupation of  [M3]>[:CR:]

M1, M2, M3, M4 are marriage status, age, occupation, place of birth

The sentence for the roles is similar

[R:Daughter1] was enumerated as the daughter of [R:Head of Household] in the 1851 census <[L]>. <[RF:Daughter] was recorded as [WM1],><aged [WM2]>< born in [WM4]><and an occupation of  [WM3]>[:CR:]

This makes use of the witness memo and WM1-4 are equivalent to M1-4.

I will also put a transcription of the census entry in the citation memo field.

Once I have the details recorded in a structured format then I can play with the sentence structure to produce something readable.

I will also dispense with separate Occupation tags created from the census entry.

This looks like the sort of thing I have been attempting, with some better English.

I have tried to put all the variable data into the witness memo field including the relationship to the head of household. So my memo structure would be something like

relation||marriage status||age||occupation||place of birth

This way I end up with only two witness roles Family and nonFamily (for lodgers etc).

Sorry I have not replied sooner, I am away from home and only have occasional access to my TMG and the internet. I will post my current set up (amended in the light of these messages) as soon as I can.

Thanks for your help

Alan