Regau

Open Office Writer

Interesting topic.

I had a desire to use Open Ofiice but I cannot see it mentioned as a TMG option. Can you inform me how you do it? - Please. I presently export to word.

Thanks

Reg

Interesting topic.

I had a desire to use  Open Ofiice but I cannot see it mentioned as  a TMG option.  Can you inform me how you do it?  - Please.  I presently export to word.

Thanks

Reg

Reg,

I've only done one test report with OOo v2; I chose the MSWord 2000 format.

Kathleen

I had a desire to use  Open Ofiice but I cannot see it mentioned as  a TMG option.  Can you inform me how you do it?  - Please.  I presently export to word.

For the file type selection, I would suggest using either 'Word for Windows 2000 or later' or 'Rich Text Format (RTF). Both worked fine with OO 2.0 last time that I tested.

For the file type selection, I would suggest using either 'Word for Windows 2000 or later' or 'Rich Text Format (RTF). Both worked fine with OO 2.0 last time that I tested.

I recently made an effort to use OOo for a TMG journal report of considerable size. I found that pictures initially showed as squares (proportions wrong) until I edited each using a button to restore to original size. Then too, each progenitor had a separate "section" and that meant that page numbers were restarted at the beginning of each section. Removing the section identifiers was difficult - and I had over 400 of them. I failed at developing macros to do these tasks, mostly because all the variables which can be used were not documented in any place I could find.

However, for short reports I believe it would be satisfactory. I made the effort because WORD failed upon trying to open the file - I understand that it's too many endnotes that cause the problem; OOo Write didn'd have THAT problem, though.

Dick

I recently made an effort to use OOo for a TMG journal report of considerable size.  I found that pictures initially showed as squares (proportions wrong) until I edited each using a button to restore to original size.  Then too, each progenitor had a separate "section" and that meant that page numbers were restarted at the beginning of each section. Removing the section identifiers was difficult - and I had over 400 of them. I failed at developing macros to do these tasks, mostly because all the variables which can be used were not documented in any place I could find.

However, for short reports I believe it would be satisfactory.  I made the effort because WORD failed upon trying to open the file - I understand that it's too many endnotes that cause the problem; OOo Write didn'd have THAT problem, though.

Dick

Gentlemen-

I got up this morning with the intention of commenting on this thread. Dick beat me to it. I will suggest that the problems exposed by OpenOffice.org Writer are not necessarily indicative of errors in Writer.

It may well be that TMG has some repetitve styling errors in its doc and rtf file conversions that may/may not be designed to cover up complementary errors in MSWord. In any event if TMG would concentrate on getting the rtf export correct, and if the power users such as Dick would use only rtf exports for their tests, perhaps the "problems" would be solved rather quickly.

That TMG needs another internal Text Editor that can at least support Right-to-left scripting of certain middle eastern languages was also a matter of record - at least until the board was wiped clean three months back.

A recent reply by Virginia on another thread gave a link to a historical event that should no longer be in play. It seems that the release of TMG 1.2 was delayed because Commsoft had apparently thought it had patented the process of creating and indexing footnotes in 1989.

Perhaps the computing world is past that issue. Seems like, after much consternation, I purchased Word 2.0 instead of Wordperfect for my college age son circa 1991. An hour later he showed up to say he had dropped out of school for a semester. And so it goes.

But back to 2006, perhaps if TMG would concentrate on rtf, and perhaps an open document xml format of file exports for the future, the overall workload TMG programmer workload could be simplified and the errors could be minimized. Wordperfect users would just have to limp along with existing TMG 6.x versions.

Oh, by the way, it is possible to change footnote font styles back and forth from text body default in OOo writer, to correct errors form TMG exports. But, like the image sizing problem, it apparently cannot be done globally in OOo at this point.

John