daniel_james_gullo

Master Data Repository and Relative Paths

I have been evaluating TMG for the last two weeks now. The reason I considered switching to TMG is because it places more emphasis on documentation and evidence than other programs do.

However, I see a major shortcoming in the basic structure of items such as source documents, exhibits, etc. Sure, you can indicate whatever path you like in the Preferences\Advanced section. However, it would make much more sense to also allow relative paths based upon the location of the entire collection of data or what I am calling the Master Data Repository.

For instance, there would be an optional field for Master Data Repository and then the user could indicate relative paths to this path: ..\pics ..\Timelines ..\Reports

This way, when you scan images and such in TMG, the image wouldn't be saved with an absolute path and consequently be broken when/if the data is moved because it would always use the relative path to whatever is indicated in the Master Data Repository. It's the same principle behind coding web pages that has saved hours and hours of frustration.

At this point, I can't justify investing my time to input all of this data when I know for sure in the future, I will need to move it; perhaps even several times.

-DJG

I would like to see relative paths for TMG's external exhibits, but I am not sure that I would always use them. I have multiple uses for files that I use as exhibits. Some are related to TMG, and some not. As a result, some of those files are stored in far-flung locations relative to my TMG data. Relative paths to them would sometimes be quite confusing and would not offer any additional insulation from file movement. In general, relative paths help if all the files are in a hierarchy and you move the root folder of that hierarchy. If you reorganize within the heriarchy, the relative paths don't help.

Regarding the analogy to URLs, URLs can be relative or absolute and both have their place. I know that relative URLs save a lot of time and effort--my web building tool Second Site uses relative URLs almost exclusively--but absolute URLs are useful too, and sometimes the only choice.

I've taken a lot of words to say something fairly simple: I'd like to see relative paths added as an option, with the ability to use absolute paths retained.

Paths can be a problem, espeically in the XP environment, when your "My Documents" folder is down in the tree. My solution is a directory at the root cleverly called c:\TMG. Under it I have reports, exhibits, projects etc. If I move things to another machine (I do this weekly) I just put it in the root and all is well.

I've taken a lot of words to say something fairly simple: I'd like to see relative paths added as an option, with the ability to use absolute paths retained.

Precisely, John. ;) That's a good summary of my suggestion as well.

In my case, I have a central server in my house and anyone in the family can access the TMG repository. To acheive this, I have indicated the path in TMG on all machines as: \\servername\shared_tmg_folder

If/When I migrate the data or if I want to burn the repository on to a DVD or whatever and send it to my other relatives, the paths will all be screwed up. Relative paths would go a long way to remedy sharing/distribution issues.