epaikin

Bugs in ver. 6.07.0000!

I updated to 6.07.000 when I received the offer with the TMG Newsletter.

I sorely regret that. Ever since then mysterious things keep happening and it keeps stalling in the middle of a session, so that I loose all that I have done in the last session. I have tried to backup every 15 minutes, but it still means a lot of extra work!

Just one example of the many problems (I can't list them all): I try to enter a "name var" and everything looks right until I click "OK" - then it appears that another - totally unrelalted person (both genealogically and in time!9 has been given the "aka" name!

I sincerely hope that there will soon be a bugfix!

I am trying to finish a project for a museum, and had promised to deliver it in January 2006. Now that is not possible, because I have realised that sometimes the crashes cause more to be lost, so now I have to check all the some 40.000 persons!

I am very, very frustrated!

Please let me know when a bug-fix wil be released!

Elsebeth Paikin

Copenhagen

elsebeth@paikin.dk

I sorely regret that. Ever since then mysterious things keep happening and it keeps stalling in the middle of a session, so that I loose all that I have done in the last session. I have tried to backup every 15 minutes, but it still means a lot of extra work!

Just one example of the many problems (I can't list them all): I try to enter a "name var" and everything looks right until I click "OK" - then it appears that another - totally unrelalted person (both genealogically and in time!9 has been given the "aka" name!

I am trying to finish a project for a museum, and had promised to deliver it in January 2006. Now that is not possible, because I have realised that sometimes the crashes cause more to be lost, so now I have to check all the some 40.000 persons!

Elsebeth Paikin

Copenhagen

elsebeth@paikin.dk

This happens to me as well, also with other tags. I also hope for a fix soon!

Afina

Elsebeth Paikin

Copenhagen

elsebeth@paikin.dk

Do you get any error messages when the 'stalls' occur? Are the menus dimmed and you have to shut down the program?

There is a file 'error.txt' in your main TMG folder where the error messages are saved. If you would copy and paste a few of the recent errors and post them here, it might help narrow down the problem. The newest error messages are at the bottom of the list.

Have you tried running the Maintenance Routines including the VFI until it reports no more errors?

Virginia

>Do you get any error messages when the 'stalls' occur? 

No.

>Are the menus dimmed >and you have to shut down the program?

Sometimes - but sometimes I can't do anything but a hard reset!

>There is a file 'error.txt' in your main TMG folder where the error messages are >saved.  If you would copy and paste a few of the recent errors and post them >here, it might help narrow down the problem.  The newest error messages are at >the bottom of the list.

There is only one since August:

2005.12.08, 21:49:36         11Function argument value, type, or count is invalid.         15 FTOA

>Have you tried running the Maintenance Routines including the VFI until it reports >no more errors?

Yes. A couple of times.

But the problems just won't go away.

Elsebeth

Edited by epaikin

Hello, Elsebeth -

I have seen that particular error when Adding a Person. Do you recall whether you were in the Add Person screen when it happened?

When the program stalls, have you tried going to the Windows menu and clicking on 'Center the Current Window'? Sometimes that will bring a hidden window to the forefront and you can continue working.

Virginia

Hello, Elsebeth -

>I have seen that particular error when Adding a Person.  Do you recall whether >you were in the Add Person screen when it happened?

No, sorry.  Only e.g. editing or adding information about a person or merging two persons.

>When the program stalls, have you tried going to the Windows menu and clicking >on 'Center the Current Window'?  Sometimes that will bring a hidden window to >the forefront and you can continue working.

>

>Virginia

No I haven't tried that, but I have minimized the window to see if something was happening in the background. And that - I guess - will do the same!?

Elsebeth

Virginia

I've tried to continue working on my project tonight and can elaborate a bit on some of the errors that occurs:

When I click on a child in order to bring him up as the head of the family, nothing happens! I have to close down and open TMG again.

I have a couple of times entered information about burial for a person that exists in my database, everything looks alrights but when I click F9 for OK - another unrelated person is all of a sudden on the screen and is the one that has been buried ( in the last case he died in 1648 and the burial entered was 1870!)

I am at my wit's end and more than ever hoping for a bugfix!

Elsebeth

Does it seem like any of the problems relate to people you have merged?

You could try deleting the project index files (29 or 30 .cdx files) in case there are some crosslinks somewhere. They will be regenerated when you open the project again.

With the problems you are having, I'd be inclined to uninstall tmg and install a fresh copy of the full 6.07 version - being sure you have current backups of your projects (or move the Projects folder to a safe place first). The full install is available at:

http://download.whollygenes.com/downloadTMG.html

You will need your registration information to unlock it.

Virginia

>Does it seem like any of the problems relate to people you have merged?

No, not specifically. Sometimes a person that I haven't "visited" for ages pops up when I enter some new information for a totally unrelated person.

>With the problems you are having, I'd be inclined to uninstall tmg and install a >fresh copy of the full 6.07 version - being sure you have current backups of your >projects (or move the Projects folder to a safe place first).  The full install is >available at:

>>http://download.whollygenes.com/downloadTMG.html

Thanks, I'll try that and hope that the bugs are on my computer/program

Happy New Year (if I don't come back before  ;) )

Elsebeth

Well, that didn't work either!!!!!!

I am trying to enter a birth year for ID 16437 "Merle von Halle" and when I have entered the information in the dialogue box and click OK (or F9) a dialogue box pops up telling me that "The age (-68) of Cecilie von Halle (5970) does not meet the expected minimum age for .... Proceed anyway?"

Now, the question is:

Is almost 10 years work wasted?

Words cannot express my frustration and anger!

I have adviced everyone asking to use TMG. But that I deeply regret and hope that they didn't take my advice.

Elsebeth Paikin

President of JGS-Denmark

Does it seem like any of the problems relate to people you have merged?

You could try deleting the project index files (29 or 30 .cdx files) in case there are some crosslinks somewhere.  They will be regenerated when you open the project again. 

With the problems you are having, I'd be inclined to uninstall tmg and install a fresh copy of the full 6.07 version - being sure you have current backups of your projects (or move the Projects folder to a safe place first).  The full install is available at:

http://download.whollygenes.com/downloadTMG.html

You will need your registration information to unlock it.

Virginia

Please don't get depressed.

In your earlier messages, something unexpected has happened when using your TMG project in your TMG installation. This is unusual!! B)

The standard warning message you are seeing is displayed if you have entered a new birth date that is earlier than the current primary birth date of a person. Have you changed the date backwards that far? If not there is a clue to what is happening here.

It is extremely seldom that TMG's data gets corrupted (usually because of power failure, a disk crash or a virus action). In many cases Wholly Genes support can recover it.

BUT, I don't think that you have such a problem.

If you can,

1) Please find another local TMG v6.07.000 user (preferably using the same version of Windows). BTW: Are you using a Danish, International or US version of Windows xxxx?

2) On your computer do a File > Backup (probably need to burn a CD-ROM for 40,000 persons or use a USB Memory stick).

3) On the other person's machine, do a File > Restore to a new folder.

4) Then open the restored project on the second computer.

5) Try the operations that are causing problems on the second computer.

Please report what you find. (If you can't find a local user, then you will probably have to negotiate with Wholly Genes support how best to get your project to them to examine.)

What you are reporting strikes me as:

A. a problem in the TMG database indexing that should have be fixed by the file maintenance routines.

B. a problem where the other software installed on your machine is somehow in conflict with the requirements of TMG (that is why I asked about which version of Windows you are using!)

C: an undetected problem within your dataset (like a circular relationship reference).

Another way of trying isolate the problem is to File > Project Copy the TMG Sample project. Then to open the copy and perform operations on it to see whether you can invoke (or not) the problems. (I suggest taking a copy of the Sample project as this means that you can return to the original version to take other copies for experiments.)

QUERIES: Which application did you import the 40,000 persons from? Are you working in English or Danish? Are you using any custom name or place styles?

As I write this, I keep thinking that this a data problem and that you will probably not experience the same problems when using the copy of the TMG sample data set.

I also am having problems with 6.07 that weren't there before.

I was working on an "unrelated" entry and saved to find that I had gone back to focus on my 1:1 entry. I searched for the person that I wanted, tried to add a "wife" and it offered to give me personally a second one (don't tell my first one).

I wouldn't have minded too much but the one on offer had been dead for a couple of hundred years.

I suspected a lack of memory problem although I am running XP SP2 with 1Gb of RAM, but closing everything down didn't help. Running the maintenance and verifying clears the problem for a short while (maybe three more people) and then it goes back to all entries point to me.

Today I have run the programme as the first one loaded and it seems to have held up ok, although I have been working on existing people's records.

I add this just to try and assist in finding the problem.

Thanks - Terry

I also am having problems with 6.07 that weren't there before.

I was working on an "unrelated" entry and saved to find that I had gone back to focus on my 1:1 entry. I searched for the person that I wanted, tried to add a "wife" and it offered to give me personally a second one (don't tell my first one).

Thanks - Terry

Something similar has happened to me with v6.07. It seems to occur after working quite a while, adding lots of people, or merging two people. Then when I add a tag to the current person and click OK, the tag is there but was added to a different person. Or when I choose a person from the list on the View menu, TMG won't go to that person.

The Maintenance routines don't fix the problem, but everything works OK again if I exit from TMG and start afresh. I have never lost data (that I know of).

Don't know if this is the same issue, but it is annoying.

Kay in Oregon