thresharch

Merging Gedcom Data Sets

I have several downloaded Gedcom data sets from sources that have already researched common relations. After I import them into a project, I've tried to merge the data sets so that I can merge duplicate names. But after a "successful" merge by using the Data Set Manager, the data sets are still separate. Is this a bug or am I merging incorrectly?

I have several downloaded Gedcom data sets from sources that have already researched common relations. After I import them into a project, I've tried to merge the data sets so that I can merge duplicate names. But after a "successful" merge by using the Data Set Manager, the data sets are still separate. Is this a bug or am I merging incorrectly?

Hi,

When you merge you get asked if you want to merge A into B or B into A.

Whichever way you chose leaves one dataset as it was, and the other containing both datasets inside the final one.

After you have convinced yourself that all your data is indeed in the combined one, go into the Dataset manager and delete the unwanted single dataset.

I'd do a backup first in case you get it the wrong way round - but I'm paranoid.

You're welcome, Dave.  :)

Terry

Thanks that explains where I went wrong 3 days ago.

However it doesn't help me totally . I downloaded a gedcom from Family search but was unable to directly import it. I had to import it first to my old tree program (familytreemaker) and then save it as a GEDCOM before I could import it to TMG.

My question is how can I directly import GEDCOM's from Family Search site to TMG ? (I must be overlooking something ?)

Laurence

... I downloaded a gedcom from Family search but was unable to directly import it. I had to import it first to my old tree program (familytreemaker) and then save it as a GEDCOM before I could import it to TMG.

My question is how can I directly import GEDCOM's from Family Search site to TMG ? (I must be overlooking something ?)

Laurence

Laurence,

What happened when you tried importing the first gedcom? It should have been able to be imported directly without having to put it into FTM first.

Laurence,

What happened when you tried importing the first gedcom?  It should have been able to be imported directly without having to put it into FTM first.

Lorna

I was told that Gedcom format wasn't recognised/supported.

If I double click the gedcom directly it opens straight into FTM with asking which program I would like it to open in.

The process is roughly

1. Select File for Download

2. File Download window appears showing file name & Type (FTW GEDCOM)

3. Click Save File (I put it in a folder with all my Gedcom's).

4. :) To this point I am happy everything is fine .

5. Select from "File" menu "Import"

6. Select Simple Wizard and Next

7a. Select Import File Type ( I select "Family Tree Maker (.FTW)" based on the GEDCOM being an FTW type. [is this right?])

7b. Select File by clicking Locate and Going to the folder where my gedcom is located. (however it's not seen so I select All files and then select my gedcom file). then click next.

8. the next wizard screen (step 2 import) now says in red at bottom 'Wrong extension "FTW" for import file type: "Family Tree Maker (.FTW)"

9. :( End Game as next button is shaded out.

Please make me happy and tell me where I'm going wrong. I know its probably something stupid or silly . But it would save a fair bit of typing.

Laurence

7a is where you went wrong . A gedcom file will have the .GED extension, no matter the originating software. GEDCOM is a standardized format which allows the data to be converted into any genealogy software program. In the Import Wizard, you should select to import a GEDCOM (.GED) file, not .FTW file.

If you run into any more problems, let us know.

Virginia

7a is where you went wrong <g>.  A gedcom file will have the .GED extension, no matter the originating software.  GEDCOM is a standardized format which allows the data to be converted into any genealogy software program.  In the Import Wizard, you should select to import a  GEDCOM (.GED) file, not .FTW file.

If you run into any more problems, let us know.

Virginia

Many Thanks

I knew it was something silly I was doing. I knew it would be possible.

Laurence