DVPowell

Restore error message

I just finished replacing my harddrive. I reinstalled 6.07 on the new drive and started to restore my .sqz file (project + customizations), which was also created on 6.07. Part way through the restore I started getting messages about specific files already existing and did I want to replace them. I answered yes the first couple of times this screen came up, then became concerned this was the wrong option and switched to "no, do not replace".

At the end of the restore I got this message: "Do you want to restore this file? The program options might not be compatible with the current TMG installation." I answered No, not to install, but it installed anyway.

Now I'm not sure if there could be problems lurking that I don't know about. Everything seems to have restored properly and the program is running fine. But I'm afraid to start any new data entry. Is there anything in particular I should be on the lookout for?

And yes, I have to admit I read the Help file on Restore after the fact, not before <blush>

The restore of projects and customizations includes quite a few different types of files, which listed with the check boxes at Step 3 of the restore wizard. You can restore any or all of them independently, so if you said "no" to some items they didn't get restored, such as layouts or report configurations.

As long as you don't find something important missing, no big loss. If you do, you can run the restore again, and check only that item at step 3.

The item that was warned about possible incompatiblities is the Program Options in Preferences. The problem is when you move to a new machine, or even a new HD, the logical drives and folders may be different, causing problems with some settings. It's safer to reset these options manually than to restore them on a machine with a different setup than the one on which the backup was made.

I don't think you have any problems other than a few of your custom settings may not have been restored. :)

Terry, thank you for replying to my posting. It was very helpful.

For future reference I'd like to follow up on the topic. I back up Preferences>Program Options but you're saying that its best to deselect that when you do a restore on another machine, just in case there are differences in the drive/folder structure?

Was the warning I received just a standard message that shows up whenever you include Program Options in the restore?

It appears that the warning is actually just asking if you want to restore the program options file; I thought it was asking me if I wanted to restore "the" file (meaning the .sqz file). So, when I selected No, but all my data still appeared that threw me off too.

Also, one of the reasons I became concerned about choosing "yes" when the restore process asked me if I was sure I wanted to replace "such and such" file (the items from step 3) was because the default choice was "no". I guess that didn't seem consistent with the fact that I had already chosen to restore those files during step 3.

There was also the choice of Yes, or Yes to all as these files were being restored. If you have made the appropriate choices in Step 3 of the Restore Wizard can you just select 'Yes to all"?

Sometimes its a thin line between understanding and total confusion :D

Terry, thank you for replying to my posting.  It was very helpful.

You're welcome. :)

I back up Preferences>Program Options but you're saying that its best to deselect that when you do a restore on another machine, just in case there are differences in the drive/folder structure?

Yes - it's fine to use to restore your settings on the same machine, but when you move to a different drive/folder structure (as you could moving to a new computer) it's best not to restore this part.

Was the warning I received just a standard message that shows up whenever you include Program Options in the restore?

Yes.

It appears that the warning is actually just asking if you want to restore the program options file; I thought it was asking me if I wanted to restore "the" file (meaning the .sqz file).  So, when I selected No, but all my data still appeared that threw me off too.

Sorry, I meant to address that in my previous response. The restore wizard works through all the items you are telling it to restore, asking you to confirm those in question, then it actaully does the restore of those items you end up telling it to use. So after you say "No" to some items, there will be other items, like the project itself, that it still has to restore.

Also, one of the reasons I became concerned about choosing "yes" when the restore process asked me if I was sure I wanted to replace "such and such" file (the items from step 3) was because the default choice was "no".   I guess that didn't seem consistent with the fact that I had already chosen to restore those files during step 3.

I think what's happening here is that many file types, like layouts and filters, have some default files that are generated during installation or initial use. If you backup includes these, you are asked if you want to overwrite the existing ones. In that case it really doesn't matter which you answer - the restored defaults will be the same as the existing ones.

The real purpose of these confirmations is when you restore over a copy you have been using. In that case, the layouts, report defs, filters, etc. that you have created are likely to exist both on your installation and in the restore, though perhaps with different versions. So you are asked whether you want to keep the current version or restore the old one.

There was also the choice of Yes, or Yes to all as these files were being restored.  If you have made the appropriate choices in Step 3 of the Restore Wizard can you just select 'Yes to all"?

In the case like you had, when you are restoring previous settings to a new installation, I think so. If you were restoring over a working copy and had some later changes in the current files that you don't want to overwrite, you couldn't.