KathleenC

Mother & Father tag labels gone v6.07

I noticed recently that the Mother & Father tag type labels on the Person view have disappeared.

The relationship is still there, the person is there, the Family and Tree views are okay, but I'm having to select tag types for all the parents! This is not the way I want to spend my time. :angry:

I'm using TMG 6.07 with XP. I have run VFI with no effect - no problems found.

Help please.

Kathleen

Kathleen,

Do you have a scroll mouse?  It sounds like you have just scrolled the label off the screen. PUt your mouse on the father's name and roll the scroll.  Does that bring back the label?

No scroll mouse -- I use the touch pad on my laptop. Also, if I open the tag, the space next to "Tag type" is blank. Good thought, though.

Is it just the relationship tag types that are missing from the Detail view and from the tag entry screen?

Do you see the same problem in the Sample project?

If the Sample project is OK, you might try deleting your project index files (*.cdx) when tmg is closed. There are 29 or 30 .cdx files that will be refreshed when you open tmg again. Even though the project has a problem, I'd still make a fresh backup (not overwriting an old one) in case it should need repair at some point.

If the problem is also in the Sample project, you might want to uninstall the program and install a fresh copy of the full 6.07 version - being sure you have current backups of your projects (and/or move the Projects folder to a safe place first). The full install is available at:

http://download.whollygenes.com/downloadTMG.html

You will need your registration information to unlock it.

Let us know what happens. I don't recall seeing this problem before.

Virginia

Is it just the relationship tag types that are missing from the Detail view and from the tag entry screen?

Do you see the same problem in the Sample project?

If the Sample project is OK, you might try deleting your project index files (*.cdx) when tmg is closed.  There are 29 or 30 .cdx files that will be refreshed when you open tmg again.  Even though the project has a problem, I'd still make a fresh backup (not overwriting an old one) in case it should need repair at some point.

<snip>

Let us know what happens.  I don't recall seeing this problem before.

Virginia

Virginia,

Yes, just the mother and father relationship tags.

No, the Sample project seems to be okay.

I did delete the .cdx files (29), but the problem is still there. :(

Leave it to me to get something weird like this.

Should I try re-installing?

Kathleen

Yes, just the mother and father relationship tags. 

No, the Sample project seems to be okay.

I did delete the .cdx files (29), but the problem is still there.  :( 

Leave it to me to get something weird like this. 

Once you deleted the cdx files, did you run optimize and validate file integrity? If the problem is still there, Phil or Dorothy in Tech Support will want to see your project.

Once you deleted the cdx files, did you run optimize and validate file integrity?  If the problem is still there, Phil or Dorothy in Tech Support will want to see your project.

Barbara,

I have run them now -- no problems found and no change.

Any instructions for sending the project?

Thanks,

Kathleen

Guest PhilDee

Hi Kathleen,

Make a backup of your project (without external exhibits) and send an email to phild@whollygenes.com and attach the backup file to it. In the body of the email please put in a short summary of your problem as a reminder to my aging mind. We'll take a look at it and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

Hi Kathleen,

Make a backup of your project (without external exhibits) and send an email to phild@whollygenes.com and attach the backup file to it.  In the body of the email please put in a short summary of your problem as a reminder to my aging mind.  We'll take a look at it and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Phil

I too seem to be suffering from a similar problem. Using a project which I haven't used since pre 6.07 days, when I make an amendment many (not all) Mother-bio tag type descriptions fall off (Father-bio tag type is unchanged). It hasn't happened with other projects.

If I use my back up to restore everything looks fine, until I make an amendment!

It's Gold UK edition

Any ideas?

David

Edited by cooperda

Guest PhilDee
I too seem to be suffering from a similar problem. Using a project which I haven't used since pre 6.07 days, when I make an amendment many (not all) Mother-bio tag type descriptions fall off (Father-bio tag type is unchanged). It hasn't happened with other projects.

If I use my back up to restore everything looks fine, until I make an amendment!

It's Gold UK edition

Any ideas?

David

David,

See my reply to Kathleen about sending me your file. I'll take a look at it as well.

Phil