guineapic

How do you do a "global search"?

I need to search throughout my project for specific things like address, town, keyword, etc. in order to find a person. Sometime I remember a fact about someone, but can't remember who it is - how do you preform a global search through the project to find what I what found?

Any help is appreciated.

Toni

Toni,

to suit your needs you should use TMG's different "Tools" (Menu) e.g. "Master Event List" if you are looking for specific events or e.g. "Master Place List" if you are looking for any kind of place information.

Vera

I would like to also search "memo's" for a fact that I would have entered. There MUST BE A WAY!! <_<

Toni

I would like to also search "memo's" for a fact that I would have entered.  There MUST BE A WAY!!  <_<

Toni

Toni-

If no experienced TMG users suggest a feature of TMG that will do this internally within 24 hours, I will post a suggestion that you export a Journal Report in doc or RTF format and do the search in your 3rd party Text Editor, such as MSWord, Open Office, or WordPerfect.

Good luck,

John

I would like to also search "memo's" for a fact that I would have entered.  There MUST BE A WAY!!  <_>

Toni

I am aware of two ways that I use to "globally" search for various items in my database: the Project Explorer and its filter capability, and filters on various reports.

For your searching of memos, I would do a List of Events report with a filter. I would probably limit my search to certain tag types and use something like:

Tag Type Group is Birth AND

Memo contains gobbledegook END

Hope this helps

For your searching of memos, I would do a List of Events report with a filter.  I would probably limit my search to certain tag types and use something like:

Tag Type Group is    Birth    AND

Memo    contains    gobbledegook  END

You can limit your search to a single tag type like this if you know what type of tag you used, or omit the first line and search all tag types.

Note that the search is literal - it looks for exactly what you enter, so if your search text is different by a single letter, even a space, it will not be found. Thus it's best to search for just a key word or phrase that you are sure you used.

I would like to also search "memo's" for a fact that I would have entered.  There MUST BE A WAY!!  <_>TMG Utility (a free companion program) will search event memos, name memos, and other text fields for words or phrases.