tejofo

Reports All Tags

How do I make God Parent tags appear in reports? I have chosen All Tag Types in the reports "Descendancy Narrative" and "Journal" but they don't appear. Is there any other report that will show these tags?

How do I make God Parent tags appear in reports?  I have chosen All Tag Types in the reports "Descendancy Narrative" and "Journal" but they don't appear.  Is there any other report that will show these tags?

In Report Type "Individual Detail" go to Report Options click on "Miscellaneous" tab and select "Parents: All variations".

Vera

To expand on Vera's reply, Parent/Child relationship tags do not print in most reports. Instead, the primary parent/child tags are used to create the parent/child relationships that the report depicts, depending on the type of report or chart you are using. Non-primary parent/child tags are simply ignored.

If you want non-primary relationships, such as God Parents, to appear, it's best to enter them as events, rather than as relationship tags. God Parents, for example, can be entered as witnesses on a baptism tag, with a suitable sentence. They will then appear in the narratives of both the child and the God Parents, or either, as you choose.

Terry and Vera,

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Entering God-Parents as witnesses on the Baptism tag works nicely.

I extended the idea by creating the roles of Minister and God-Parent, so the sentence for the Principal is now:

[P] was baptized <[D]> <[L]> <by [R:Minister]>. <[PFS] God-Parents are [R:God-Parent]>

One minor point: the God-Mothers show with their pre-marriage names. Any way to make it use their current names?

Best Wishes, Terry Fogarty.

You're welcome. :)

One minor point: the God-Mothers show with their pre-marriage names.  Any way to make it use their current names?

Yes, provided you have created a name tag for the God-Mother for the desired name, such as the standard Name-Mar tag.

In the Add Witness screen (the one in which you added the God-Mother as a witness and chose the role) at the top right is a drop-down list that shows all the name variations you have created for that witness. Choose the variation you want to appear in the report.

Terry and Vera,

Entering God-Parents as witnesses on the Baptism tag works nicely.

I extended the idea by creating the roles of Minister and God-Parent, so the sentence for the Principal is now:

[P] was baptized <[D]> <[L]> <by [R:Minister]>.  <[PFS] God-Parents are [R:God-Parent]>

One minor point: the God-Mothers show with their pre-marriage names.  Any way to make it use their current names?

Best Wishes, Terry Fogarty.

Terry,

This is great! I've tried your method but I can't get the God-Parent information to print on the Family Group Sheets. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steven

This is great! I've tried your method but I can't get the God-Parent information to print on the Family Group Sheets. Any suggestions?

The Family Group sheet doesn't use Sentences - they are used only for narrative style reports. Thus there is no way in FGSs to have witnesses to a tag appear.

If the FGS is important to you, as opposed to narrative reports, the Father-God tag will print, provided you change the "Parents" option on the Miscellaneous tab to All variations.

You could also create a custom event tag for GodMother and GodFather, with both them and the child entered as Principals, and that would print if you choose the options on the Tags section to include it.

The Family Group sheet doesn't use Sentences - they are used only for narrative style reports. Thus there is no way in FGSs to have witnesses to a tag appear.

If the FGS is important to you, as opposed to narrative reports, the Father-God tag will print, provided you change the "Parents" option on the Miscellaneous tab to All variations.

You could also create a custom event tag for GodMother and GodFather, with both them and the child entered as Principals, and that would print if you choose the options on the Tags section to include it.

Terry,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a client who prefers FGS rather than narratives. Being a new user of TMG I was hoping if a way was found to output the God-parents (and their ID) next to the Christning on the FGS (like it does in the narratives) then the same principle would allow me to output witnesses/roles to marriage, probate, land, etc. next to the tag on the FGS.

I tried the Father/Mother-God option, but the client wants the godparents names to output next to the event, not somewhere else on the FGS. He also wants the same for any other witnesses, including census, to output next to the event.

I tried manually entering the godparents into an unused location field. This worked great for the output, but it sure creates a lot of places in the master place list, and it messes with the narrative output (in case the client ever needs a narrative). Another minus with this method is no ID is captured. I can't manually add the ID because ID's aren't static. They change with merging.

I'll experiment with your suggestion to create custom event tags and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Steve