Buzz

Hourglass Chart Failure

Dear Forum,

Happy New Year and a successful 2006 to all readers.

I manage two separate data sets within my project, both data sets work well.

With one data set I'm having trouble retrieving ancestral marriages as part of the hourglass box chart.

What comes up, with two couples in particular, is the progenitor box appears and from him the proper child but the progenitor’'s wife is not shown?

Within the same chart other couples (ie husband and wife each have a separate box) and their direct line ‘issue’ are fine. I've dabbled with the ‘options’ to try correct the problem with no success.

I tried just printing a descendants box chart and found the same problem persists. I checked to see the marriages were entered correctly and are primary tags in both cases.

Strangely enough in the other data set, box reports are just fine and the ‘option’ settings are exactly the same as in the data set where I’'m having the problem!

Any ideas how I can correct this situation?

Buzz.

Dear Forum,

Happy New Year and a successful 2006 to all readers.

I manage two separate data sets within my project, both data sets work well.

With one data set I'm having trouble retrieving ancestral marriages as part of the hourglass box chart.

What comes up, with two couples in particular, is the progenitor box appears and from him the proper child but the progenitor’'s wife is not shown?

Within the same chart other couples (ie husband and wife each have a separate box) and their direct line ‘issue’ are fine.  I've dabbled with the ‘options’ to try correct the problem with no success.

I tried just printing a descendants box chart and found the same problem persists.  I checked to see the marriages were entered correctly and are primary tags in both cases.

Strangely enough in the other data set, box reports are just fine and the ‘option’ settings are exactly the same as in the data set where I’'m having the problem!

Any ideas how I can correct this situation?

Buzz.

Maybe it's a surety issue. On the Other tab in the report Options, look at the Surety area on the left side and make sure that _both_ 'No threshold' and 'Include blank surety' are checked.

Virginia

This definitely sounds like a data problem rather than an Hourglass chart failure.

You have probably not got set the spouse as the *primary* other parent of the child person in question.

Look at the Detail View of the child and check that *both* parents are showing againat the Father and Mother labels at the top.

Several tests that can perform. Do an Ancestor Chart or a Compressed Pedigree to see whether all these show the same effect with the same persons?

Thanks to both Robin and Virgina for your interest in my dilemma.

When I checked more closely the relationships I discovered that in both cases, for the mothers, they were both missing the child who was a direct line ancestor. When I applied a son-bio tag to the mothers the report printed correctly! I think what must have happened is that I discovered the father son relationship and later found the wife and neglected to add a mother son relationship.

This forum is terrific I’ve received gracious assistance on other occasions.

Many thanks,

Buzz