alpalmer

exporting a TMG file

I know that I am going to feel really stupid when someone tells me how to do this. Nevertheless, here goes. I would like to send a file of data to a relative who is also using TMG. I know that I can separate out the people I want to send using focus group. How do I save that group of selected people as a TMG file and get it sent. We shared one file by exporting as a Gedcomm and sending that. But there must be an easier way.

I know that I can separate out the people I want to send using focus group.  How do I save that group of selected people  as a TMG file and get it sent. 

Report > List of People > Subject of Report current focus group

Options > Secondary Output > New Project

After you create a new project as Barbara describes, open that project, and make a backup of it. This compresses the many files that make up the project into a single smaller file. Send the backup to your relative, who will then need to Restore (not Open or Import) it in order to read it.

We did that. Let me start by saying that we both are using TMG 6.01. He created a .sqz file and sent it to me. I opened restore, selected the appropriate file, highlighted "restore all," clicked next, accepted all of the defaults, clicked next, and got the message, "selected backup file is not a valid backup of The Master Genealogist, v5." Any idea where v5 came from? I have been using v6 for almost as long as it has been available.

We did that.  Let me start by saying that we both are using TMG 6.01.  He created a .sqz file and sent it to me.  I opened restore, selected the appropriate file, highlighted "restore all," clicked next, accepted all of the defaults, clicked next, and got the message, "selected backup file is not a valid backup of The Master Genealogist, v5."  Any idea where v5 came from?  I have  been using v6 for almost as long as it has been available.

You are using a pretty early version of v6, so it is possible that the error message text had just not been updated correctly to reflect the new version. I recall a couple of places in the early days of v6 that still showed v5 in the text

You could try simply unzipping his .sqz file to a folder and then opening (not restoring) the project in tmg. If you rename the .sqz extension to .zip, you can use any unzip software to open it.

Do you happen to know what operating system he is using - whether it is an older one like Win98 or WinMe? He is not running both v5 and v6, is he? That is strongly contraindicated - since they may access the same files.

More...

If either of you are using Win 98, Win98SE or WinMe, you may be encountering the backup problem fixed in 6.03. I'm not sure whether the problem was in 6.01 or introduced in 6.02, but it might explain the message you get with Restore.

From the 7 Sept WG newsletter, announcing v6.03:

" Backup

- The .SQZ file comment was updated to reflect the correct TMG program version number.

- The CUSTOMIZATIONS ONLY backup filename was corrected to reflect the correct TMG program version number.

- Under Win98, Win98SE and WinME, backups which included the project inadvertently omitted most of the project data files."

Virginia

Edited by Virginia Blakelock