Michael Hannah

RTF report aborts TMG 6.07

I now can reliably reproduce my report error simply using the

standard Sample database and a simple filter. :( I am posting

this to both the TMG-L list and the Forum.

In the Sample database, select to generate a List of Tasks.

The subjects of the report should be a filtered group

where the filter is defined as:

Linked Event... Any Other Witness ID... = Equals [?] END

Select to Print to: File with File type: Rich Text Format (RTF)

and choose some file name.

Now select Print & Save, and when prompted enter the ID of 2

(which in the Sample database is Mary Catherine KEEBLER)

When printed to screen or to an MS Word format, this produces

the report with the single task that fits this filter.

When printed to RTF, for me it reliably aborts TMG with

"Variable 'nn' is not found" and the number nn seems to vary.

I have seen both 68 and 84.

All actions at this point are fruitless. You must use Task

Manager to end the TMG.exe process. The string of error

messages now include the infamous "unknown member ROTOOLBARMAN"

among others reported. The last entry in Error.txt contains:

2005.12.31, 12:15:18 1923Object GOREP is not found.

4 FRMRDS_TASKS.DESTROY

I hope the testers find they can reproduce this so that the

developers have something reliable to work from. If not,

then there must be something wrong with my installation of TMG.

I now can reliably reproduce my report error simply using the

standard Sample database and a simple filter.

Virginia B., one of the major users, reproduced my error, but then suggested that I reset the report configuration (using the Delete button under the configuration name). This does seem to clear up the generation of this error.

However, while I can now proceed with my work, hopefully providing one easy method that can cause TMG to crash will help the developers fix TMG so that when it does have an error it does not actually crash.

I am also experiencing this error, when attempting Distribution of People report or List of .. reports. I receive an error message that says "OLE IDispatch exception code 0 from Panels: Maximum Panels Exceeded", then TMG crashes, I receive the ROTOOLBARMAN error message and have to use Windows Task Manager to kill TMG. Error.txt says:

2006.01.09, 17:30:38 31Invalid subscript reference. 55 LSTPLACE

2006.01.09, 17:30:45 1923Object GOREP is not found. 4 FRMRDS_PEOPLE.DESTROY

Following the thread above I attempted to delete the configuration name, but received the error message that it is a standard configuration and cannot be deleted.

I have "reset the options to the defaults", which is what the error message asks. I can then run a report with the defaults. However, the moment I try to change anything to something I actually want (like change the Output Columns) I receive the original error.

So I am unable to continue working and would appreciate guidance on possible fixes.

Thanks,

Cathy

Canberra, Australia

I seldom seem to be able to run a List of Tasks report without a problem.

This morning's Variable ?? not found when trying to output a filtered list of tasks to MS Word 2000 on a newly designed filter resulted in TMG having to be stopped via task manager.

Error.txt shows:

2006/02/04, 10:10:28 1923Object GOREP is not found. 4 FRMRDS_TASKS.DESTROY

2006/02/04, 10:10:32 1923Object GOREP is not found. 2 FRMRDS_LOS.UNLOAD

The actual report has been created satisfactorily, but having to restart TMG is a right pain.

In trying to identify what is causing this I note (as I work thru this):

that the list of tasks doesn't show up at the top of my recent reports

setting options to default (can't delete it, it was the standard one)

adding a new report with default options and only changing the filter to an existing (newly designed just before the above crash) and running it to screen, worked just fine

Then changing the output to file

MS word 2000

Brought up:

Variable '68' not found

Ignore brought up Conversion error #3 could not create or open CONV_LOG.txt on scratch drive

At least OK closed out nicely instead of crashing TMG though.

File seems to have been created

At which point I went on to other things having my report without having to restart TMG, albeit with annoying error messages.

Nothing new in the Errot.txt from this last message

I seldom seem to be able to run a List of Tasks report without a problem.

This morning's Variable ?? not found when trying to output a filtered list of tasks to MS Word 2000 on a newly designed filter resulted in TMG having to be stopped via task manager.

Error.txt shows:

2006/02/04, 10:10:28      1923Object GOREP is not found.          4 FRMRDS_TASKS.DESTROY

2006/02/04, 10:10:32      1923Object GOREP is not found.          2 FRMRDS_LOS.UNLOAD

The actual report has been created satisfactorily, but having to restart TMG is a right pain.

In trying to identify what is causing this I note (as I work thru this):

that the list of tasks doesn't show up at the top of my recent reports

setting options to default (can't delete it, it was the standard one)

adding a new report with default options and only changing the filter to an existing (newly designed just before the above crash) and running it to screen, worked just fine

Then changing the output to file

MS word 2000

Brought up:

Variable '68' not found

Ignore brought up Conversion error #3 could not create or open CONV_LOG.txt  on scratch drive

At least OK closed out nicely instead of crashing TMG though.

File seems to have been created

At which point I went on to other things having my report without having to restart TMG, albeit with annoying error messages.

Nothing new in the Errot.txt from this last message

Another thing that seems to help with some report problems is setting the printer to your specific printer rather than the default Windows printer (on the report definition screen > Properties). You might give that a try.

Virginia

Hi Virginia,

Do you have any advice on my version of this problem? I am unable to continue working and there appears to be no work-around (see my message above). I have tried all the suggested remedies without success. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cathy

Canberra, Australia

Cathy,

I don't know whether this may help or not but I would kindly suggest to at least give it a try.

Just to be sure:

-you use TMG v6.07, right?

-which Operating System are you using? On which Patch level?

-Have you run TMG's maintenance tools recently? If not you should do that - Reindex, VFI, Optimize.

Please run VFI as many times as may be needed to get the message that no problems were found.

When I look at your post dated 09 Jan 2006 and look at the timestamps of those error messages within the Error.txt file I personally would assume that:

-the first message refers to your attempt to run a Distribution of People report and

-the later following message refers to your attempt to run a List of People report.

Have you tried to do that in this sequence?

Next questions:

When you try to run a Distribution of People report or a List of People report please give us the exact "settings / configurations" you are using - both on Report Definition Screen (RDS) itself as well as on "Options..."

Are you using a Filter condition? And if yes, which one? Please provide exact filter conditions you have defined.

Are you also running into any kind of issues if you say on RDS "Print to screen"?

Does it make a difference if you use TMG's sample project instead of your own working project?

Just to be sure:

-you use TMG v6.07, right?

**Yes.

-which Operating System are you using? On which Patch level?

**Windows ME at home and Windows XP at uni. The latter is on SP 2.0.

-Have you run TMG's maintenance tools recently?

**Yes, I ran them several times for both computers. There were no problems.

When I look at your post dated 09 Jan 2006 and look at the timestamps of those error messages within the Error.txt file I personally would assume that:

-the first message refers to your attempt to run a Distribution of People report and

-the later following message refers to your attempt to run a List of People report.

Have you tried to do that in this sequence?

**I'm not sure that I understand this question. I ran LOE, LOP and DOP several times, both at home and uni, and encountered the same problem, each time.

Next questions:

When you try to run a Distribution of People report or a List of People report please give us the exact "settings / configurations" you are using - both on Report Definition Screen (RDS) itself as well as on "Options..."

**I used the defaults except that I printed to a file, rather than the screen. The only thing I changed in "Options" was the Output Columns. It would work if I left it at the defaults, but when I changed the Output Columns it would crash.

***NEW INFORMATION: I have now determined that the problem occurs when I select as an Output Column Birth Group Tag: Place. It does *NOT* occur with "Place Detail" or "Village" or other tags related to Place.

Are you using a Filter condition? And if yes, which one? Please provide exact filter conditions you have defined.

**Yes I used Filter conditions. I tried a range of them to see if it made a difference. The simplest one was "Marriage Place Contains Stourton", which is the name of a village. The filter conditions did not seem to make a difference.

***NEW INFORMATION: I also did it without filters, and it made no difference. It crashed when I selected Birth Group Tag: Place in the Output Columns, but did not crash when I left that tag out.

Are you also running into any kind of issues if you say on RDS "Print to screen"?

** As above, printing to screen, file or printer made no difference. It crashed when I selected Birth Group Tag: Place in the Output Columns, but did not crash when I left that tag out.

Does it make a difference if you use TMG's sample project instead of your own working project?

**No. I tried another project and the results were the same.

Vera, my apologies for taking so long to reply.

For what it's worth, and in the hope that it might help developers, here is what I think happened. I found another post that related to similar, but not identical, problems being caused by the incorrect drive being pointed to for backup and restore. I realised that my problem had begun after I had transferred my data from my uni computer to my home computer, then made updates and gone back again. I use Backup and Restore to transfer data between the machines. Since my two computers have different drive letters for the flash drive, when I backed up at home it tried to find a non-existent drive and complained. That was fixed, but somehow these reporting problems developed immediately afterwards. I am not a developer and do not understand the connection, but there it is.

***NEW INFORMATION: It seems that I have isolated the problem to the Birth Group Tag: Place in the Output Columns. Can you (or anyone) advise on a possible fix? The Error.txt file consistently reads like this:

2006.03.07, 11:41:57 31Invalid subscript reference. 55 LSTPLACE

2006.03.07, 11:42:17 1923Object GOREP is not found. 4 FRMRDS_PEOPLE.DESTROY

Thanks,

Cathy

Edited by Cathy

2006.03.07, 11:41:57 31Invalid subscript reference. 55 LSTPLACE

Hi,

I had the same message recently using TMG 7.1. With some effort I could trace it down to this:

in some of my places where I could not read the original, I had entered something like "Abcd[...]ghij". eliminating the brackets made the problem disappear.

Yes, this is a not-so-clear error from the underlying MS software that TMG is trying to interpret something you typed as one of its reserved variables (which also use the brackets). This is why the escape character was introduced in Version 7 of TMG. You can have the text you want by entering a backslash immediately in front of both brackets.

In future you should probably post any problems with TMG Version 7 on the forum reserved for that as you are more likely to get answers there.

In future you should probably post any problems with TMG Version 7 on the forum reserved for that as you are more likely to get answers there.

Michael,

sure you're correct not a single doubt but Helmut didn't basically report an issue but a solution to get rid of the error "Invalid subscript reference. 55 LSTPLACE". And this topic seems to be the only one on the forum mentioning "55 LSTPLACE".

And to provide even more insight this issue for him and others existed since TMGv6.