bfox

Synchronizing data files

I have downloaded the trial version of The Master Genealogist and am thinking of buying it. However, I need to know if I can also install it on my Laptop computer which I use extensively during the week. And, if I am legally allowed to do this, will I be able to synchronize my data files using Windows XP when I switch to my desktop computer on the weekends. This system works flawlessly using PAF 5.2 but I like the extended features of TMG. Thanks in advance for the response.

The license allows you to install on up to 3 computers, provided that not more than one copy is in use at any one time -- designed for situations exactly like yours.

There are several ways to use the same Project on several computers:

1. Keep the files on one computer, say your laptop. When using your desktop, access the files via a LAN. This of course would require that your laptop be turned on and connected to the the other computer by a LAN when you are using it there.

2. Backup and restore. Each time you move from one computer to the other, make a backup, copy the backup to the other computer, and restore it there. This requires care to not enter data on the the "wrong" computer, otherwise you could get the two copies out of synch. But has the advantage that no on-going connection is required between the two computers.

You could copy the project files themselves between the two computers, perhaps by use of the Windows "briefcase" - I've not tried that. The advantage of the backup and restore process is that the backup compresses all the 20 to 30 files into a single backup file which is easier to transfer.

To add to Terry's methods 1 & 2, I use a 3rd method.

I store my data files and external exhibits on a small portable 80 gig USB hard drive. The drive is slightly larger than my PDA. Backups are made to the hard drive of the computer I'm working on before I shut down.

I have downloaded the trial version of The Master Genealogist and am thinking of buying it.  However, I need to know if I can also install it on my Laptop computer which I use extensively during the week.  And, if I am legally allowed to do this, will I be able to synchronize my data files using Windows XP when I switch to my desktop computer on the weekends. This system works flawlessly using PAF 5.2 but I like the extended features of TMG. Thanks in advance for the response.

I run TMG on a laptop and desktop which are networked when I'm in the office. I use the laptop when away from the office. I use a shareware program called "Second Copy" to synchronise all my data files between the two computers - it can be set to do this automatically at user defined intervals - mine is set for every 2 hours and at start-up and shut-down. It works fine with TMG data files, except if I actually have a project open on one of the computers, in which case it reports an error and tries again at the next scheduled time. It has greatly simplified what used to be a tedious and time consuming business of copying and backing-up.

pktropics