Mary Jean Pierson

TMG Gold Edition 4.01

I recently installed version 4.0d on Windows XP and found out I can't create any reports, except in Word format. I assume it's because of the missing ctl3d.ll file. I read the above post, but I'm not quite sure how to extract that file and put it in the TMG file. could someone give some very basic instructions on how to do it?

Edited by Priscilla

The file is self extracting.

Double click ctl3d.exe, a dialog box appears:

WinZip Self-Extractor, click OK, a new dialog box opens:

WinZip Self-Extractor [ctl3d.exe]

in the Unzip To Folder: text box change c:\windows\system to YOUR \tmgw\ folder and click the Unzip Button

Please note that the Default Unzip to Folder: c:\windows\system IS the folder where ctl3d.dll SHOULD be placed NOT the \tmgw\ folder.

See this post below :ph34r:

Edited by ggilbert1

I recently installed version 4.0d on Windows XP and found out I can't create any reports, except in Word format.  I assume it's because of the missing ctl3d.ll file. I read the above post, but I'm not quite sure how to extract that file and put it in the TMG file. could someone give some very basic instructions on how to do it?

In addition to ctl3d.dll, you may also need rrwexp.dll.

Place it in the tmgw\rrw folder.

(I'm still looking for the download -- you may need to ask techsupport for a copy)

In the forum post found at

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=354

you will see download here. in the last paragraph - that is a link to the download

OR just use the link below.

http://www.whollygenes.com/ctl3d.exe

Can't help with rrwexp.dll :(

Can't help with rrwexp.dll  :(

Neither can I - I don't understand where this rrwexp.dll reference has come from. It is not a RRW file that exists on my W2K machine (that includes a full installation of the RRW tool and a working copy of TMG v4.0d).

I googled "rrwexp.dll" and the first hit was a TMG Forum topic, but clicking the link returns the error:

The error returned was:

Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken.

I expect the message got lost in the reinstall of the forum.

Loading the cached message from Google it seems this was in reference to a problem with Save a copy of an Ancerstal Report in TMG 4.b, and Barbara Grempler supplied the file directly to the user.

Try this Link: Cached Message at Google

I googled "rrwexp.dll" and the first hit was a TMG Forum topic, but clicking the link returns the error:

I expect the message got lost in the reinstall of the forum.

Loading the cached message from Google it seems this was in reference to a problem with Save a copy of an Ancerstal Report in TMG 4.b, and Barbara Grempler supplied the file directly to the user.

Try this Link: Cached Message at Google

Well, I got the first file down loaded okay, and I don't get that error message anymore, but I'm still dead in the water without the rrwexp.dll file. Unless someone has the file, maybe the best thing is to just upgrade to version 6.0. I didn't want to spend the $79 or $59 bucks if I didn't have to.

I just found a copy by googling and downloaded it but I still get the same rrwexp.dll file error.

I think the problem is this rrwexp.dll file isn't compatible with version 4.0d.

Edited by Priscilla

Well, I got the first file down loaded okay, and I don't get that error message anymore, but I'm still dead in the water without the rrwexp.dll file.  Unless someone has the file, maybe the best thing is to just upgrade to version 6.0.  I didn't want to spend the $79 or $59 bucks if I didn't have to.

I just found a copy by googling and downloaded it but I still get the same rrwexp.dll file error.

I think the problem is this rrwexp.dll file isn't compatible with version 4.0d.

Sorry for the confusion on the rrwexp.dll file. This was something I'd received directly from TechSupport in 2003. I'm not sure, but I think I was using Win2k at that time. When I recently re-installed 4.0d (with XP), I found that I needed it again. (of the v4 series, I've only used 4.0d)

I am currently running 4.0d on XP with no problems whatsoever. I have rrwexp.dll placed in the TMGW\RRW directory, and ctl3d.dll placed in the TMGW\ directory.

Years ago, it was recommended that ctl3d.dll be placed in one of the Windows subdirectories, and if that did not work, then to place it in the TMGW directory. I recommend that you give TechSupport a call -- or use the "chat with a LIVE technician" feature at the bottom of this page. I'm sure they can get you fixed up within minutes.

PS -- If you are not getting the error message, you may not need rrwexp.dll.

*waves to Glenn*

Thanks for finding a link to the file!

Valerie, from the User's Group

Edited by dakko

Found this in some old files. :ph34r: It gives a better explanation of the situation with ctl3d.dll. . .

[TMG] Invalid Program File RRWRUN.EXE Error!

Applies to:

- The Master Genealogist, v3.x and v4.x

Problem: Unable to Preview or Generate Report Insufficient Memory or Invalid Program File RRWRUN.EXE Error! One of these error messages will occur if CTL3D.DLL is not installed properly. It is a standard file on some versions of Windows, but not on others.

Solution: Download CTL3D.EXE, which is a self-extracting archive that contains CTL3D.DLL. Run CTL3D.EXE to extract CTL3D.DLL. Move CTL3D.DLL to your system directory:

Operating System Location

Windows 95 C:\Windows\System

Windows 98 C:\Windows\System

Windows ME C:\Windows\System

Windows 2000 C:\WINNT\System32

Windows XP C:\WINNT\System32

[TMG] Error 1405 generating reports

Applies to:

- The Master Genealogist v4.x and previous

Problem: Error 1405 Run/? Command Failed WREPOUT Line 172 when generating Reports to Screen or Printer. This error occurs when the CTL3D.DLL file is in the wrong directory. It is a windows\system file.

Solution: Go to c:\tmgw\rrw subdirectory and double click on run.exe. If error message appears: Cannot find CTL3D.DLL, then search for this file through Windows Explorer. The file should be moved to c:\windows\system directory for 95/98 users or to c:\winnt\system32 for NT users. If it still does not work, copy the file to the c:\tmgw directory or the directory in which TMG is installed.

Other keywords:

Last changed:

2001-Dec-05 5:57pm bvelke, lissa

Found this in some old files. :ph34r: It gives a better explanation of the situation with ctl3d.dll. . .

[TMG] Invalid Program File RRWRUN.EXE Error!

Applies to:

- The Master Genealogist, v3.x and v4.x

Problem: Unable to Preview or Generate Report Insufficient Memory or Invalid Program File RRWRUN.EXE Error! One of these error messages will occur if CTL3D.DLL is not installed properly. It is a standard file on some versions of Windows, but not on others.

Solution: Download CTL3D.EXE, which is a self-extracting archive that contains CTL3D.DLL. Run CTL3D.EXE to extract CTL3D.DLL. Move CTL3D.DLL to your system directory:

Operating System Location

Windows 95 C:\Windows\System

Windows 98 C:\Windows\System

Windows ME C:\Windows\System

Windows 2000 C:\WINNT\System32

Windows XP C:\WINNT\System32

[TMG] Error 1405 generating reports

Applies to:

- The Master Genealogist v4.x and previous

Problem: Error 1405 Run/? Command Failed WREPOUT Line 172 when generating Reports to Screen or Printer. This error occurs when the CTL3D.DLL file is in the wrong directory. It is a windows\system file.

Solution: Go to c:\tmgw\rrw subdirectory and double click on run.exe. If error message appears: Cannot find CTL3D.DLL, then search for this file through Windows Explorer. The file should be moved to c:\windows\system directory for 95/98 users or to c:\winnt\system32 for NT users. If it still does not work, copy the file to the c:\tmgw directory or the directory in which TMG is installed.

Other keywords:

Last changed:

2001-Dec-05 5:57pm bvelke, lissa

I've tried installing ctl3d.dll in the TMGW directory and the WINNT\System32 directory, but nothing works. I even have been getting advise from a Tech by e-mail. Thanks for everyone's help anyway.

I've tried installing ctl3d.dll in the TMGW directory and the WINNT\System32 directory, but nothing works. I even have been getting advise from a Tech by e-mail. Thanks for everyone's help anyway.

With the help from a Wholly Genes Tech, I can finally create reports. She had me put the ctl3d.dll file in \windows\system and it worked. :)