hscheig

Information entry problems

Just returned from Salt Lake City and am trying to enter new information. Problem 1 - I get message "variable flag # not found" Why do I get this? To get around I click "abort" but there must be a way to avoid the message.

Problem 2 - I get message "specified ID # in use". I know the number is not in use.

I'm anxious to enter my new information but it would take forever to get around these problems. HELP!!

Just returned from Salt Lake City and am trying to enter new information.  Problem 1 - I get message "variable flag # not found"  Why do I get this?  To get around I click "abort" but there must be a way to avoid the message.

Problem 2 - I get message "specified ID # in use".  I know the number is not in use.

I'm anxious to enter my new information but it would take forever to get around these problems. HELP!!

Where are you getting these messages - when adding a tag or when adding a person? If the latter, on the Add Person screen, click the Setup button at the bottom left, and on the next screen click the Reset Template, again at the bottom left. That will reset the defaults and may clear up an add-person problem.

Virginia

Where are you getting these messages - when adding a tag or when adding a person?  If the latter, on the Add Person screen, click the Setup button at the bottom left, and on the next screen click the Reset Template, again at the bottom left.  That will reset the defaults and may clear up an add-person problem.

Virginia

Just returned from Salt Lake City and am trying to enter new information.  Problem 1 - I get message "variable flag # not found"  Why do I get this?  To get around I click "abort" but there must be a way to avoid the message.

Problem 2 - I get message "specified ID # in use".  I know the number is not in use.

Where are you getting these messages - when adding a tag or when adding a person?  If the latter, on the Add Person screen, click the Setup button at the bottom left, and on the next screen click the Reset Template, again at the bottom left.  That will reset the defaults and may clear up an add-person problem.

Virginia

I was getting the message on add person screen. I followed your suggestion but it didn't help. Also the question about ID numbers?

Henry

I was getting the message on add person screen.  I followed your suggestion but it didn't help.  Also the question about ID numbers?

Henry

After resetting the defaults in the Add Person screen, it might help to shut tmg down and restart - if you did not already.

Does the ID# message seem to apply to the ID# of a new person you are adding, or do you get that message when you are trying to add a source to the add person screen, and it seems to refer to a source ID# number?

Do you have more than one data set in your project?

Virginia

After resetting the defaults in the Add Person screen, it might help to shut tmg down and restart - if you did not already.

Does the ID# message seem to apply to the ID# of a new person you are adding, or do you get that message when you are trying to add a source to the add person screen, and it seems to refer to a source ID# number?

Do you have more than one data set in your project?

Virginia

I restarted and i'm still getting the problems. The number message applies to a new person being added. I have several data sets. but when I check the numbers used for all data sets, the number i' trying to use is not being used by any data set. I've got over 700 names in my project and I've never had these problems before.

Henry

Have you run the maintenance routines?

File > Maintenance > Reindex

File > Maintenance > Optimize

and finally

File > Maintenance > Validate File Integrity as many times as required until no errors are found.

Have you run the maintenance routines?

File > Maintenance > Reindex

File > Maintenance > Optimize

and finally

File > Maintenance > Validate File Integrity as many times as required until no errors are found.

Barbara - I did what you suggested. On validate there were 30 some potential problems fixed. On second validation there was one. On the third non. Both problems still exist. now what?

Henry

I restarted and i'm still getting the problems.  The number message applies  to a new person being added.  I have several data sets. but when I check the numbers used for all data sets, the number i' trying to use is not being used by any data set.  I've got over 700 names in my project and I've never had these problems before.

Henry

Are you entering your own number for the ID or accepting the number offered by tmg? When you get that message, are you given the option of using F2 to find an unused number - and if so, have you tried that?

When you are adding the person, are you in the view of a person in the data set into which you are adding the new person - so there is no question of it being the correct data set?

If you use Ctrl-I and enter the problematic ID#, does it go to any person?

Virginia

Are you entering your own number for the ID or accepting the number offered by tmg?  When you get that message, are you given the option of using F2 to find an unused number - and if so, have you tried that?

When you are adding the person, are you in the view of a person in the data set into which you are adding the new person - so there is no question of it being the correct data set?

If you use Ctrl-I and enter the problematic ID#, does it go to any person?

Virginia

Virginia

I have tried both accepting the number offered and entering my own. I use F2 also. Nothing works.

I'm not familiar with Cntr I. I tried it but nothing happened.

Henry Scheig

Virginia

I have tried both accepting the number offered and entering my own.  I use F2 also.  Nothing works.

I'm not familiar with Cntr I.  I tried it but nothing happened.

Henry Scheig

Control-I ('eye') will open a window in which you can enter an ID# and change focus to that person.

Have you tried Adding a Person in the Sample project to see if you get the same error message there, or if the problem is specific to your project?

Virginia

Regarding my information entry problems, they have been solved. My project was apparently corrupted by a lot of immigration tags, which I did no enter. It's a puzzle how that occured but it's fixed now. :D

Hank 2