Sandy Clunies

Transfer Troubles - Import and Backups

Rec'd a CD/DVD disc with a Family Tree Maker .ftw file on it. Though my desktop CD drive is also DVD, it wouldn't read the disc. Moved to the laptop - no problems - smooth import into TMG including images, etc. Up and running. "encountered no problems" said TMG and it looked great - has over 10,000 persons on it.

But I want to move this .prj to the desktop, OR to a flash drive for portability, so while open in TMG on the laptop, I selected "backup project" to another plain CD - and got all kinds of "file missing" messages and had to cold boot to get out of it.

Any ideas here?

Rec'd a CD/DVD disc with a Family Tree Maker .ftw file on it. Though my desktop CD drive is also DVD, it wouldn't read the disc. Moved to the laptop - no problems - smooth import into TMG including images, etc. Up and running. "encountered no problems" said TMG and it looked great - has over 10,000 persons on it.

But I want to move this .prj to the desktop, OR to a flash drive for portability, so while open in TMG on the laptop, I selected "backup project"  to another plain CD - and got all kinds of "file missing" messages and had to cold boot to get out of it.

Any ideas here?

Sandy, with CDs (and the software used to burn them) it often works better to make your backup to a folder on your hard drive and then copy the .sqz file to the CD, rather than backing up directly from TMG. Same for restore from a CD; sometimes it works better to copy the .sqz file from the CD to the hard drive first. I do backup and restore directly with a flash drive, but occasionally people have a problem with that too and have to copy the file over.

Virginia

Sandy, with CDs (and the software used to burn them) it often works better to make your backup to a folder on your hard drive and then copy the .sqz file to the CD, rather than backing up directly from TMG.  Same for restore from a CD; sometimes it works better to copy the .sqz file from the CD to the hard drive first.  I do backup and restore directly with a flash drive, but occasionally people have a problem with that too and have to copy the file over.

Virginia

Thanks, Virginia - worked like a charm!

Thanks, Virginia - worked like a charm!

I took a chance the other day and actually used XP Accessories>System Tools>Cleanup to remove various files, including a few weeks accumulation of archived Temporarily Internet Files, and found that Window Explorer actually worked in "real-time" again. Defragmentation on a slower laptop is accomplished more quickly if done more frequently, also.