dadempsey

Attaching a PDF as an exhibit?

Has anybody tried to attach a PDF as an exhibit? Is it possible? Is it expected in a later release?

I've got a printer/scanner at work that can scan documents directly into a PDF, which is great for creating electronic copies of pension files and other sources that have multiple interesting pages. I haven't figured out a way to attach a PDF as an exhibit to a source.

Thanks,

David

Edited by dadempsey

Has anybody tried to attach a PDF as an exhibit? Is it possible? Is it expected in a later release?

I've got a printer/scanner at work that can scan documents directly into a PDF, which is great for creating electronic copies of pension files and other sources that have multiple interesting pages. I haven't figured out a way to attach a PDF as an exhibit to a source.

Thanks,

David

David,

You need to insert the exhibit as an OLE object. When you click on Insert New Ole the Ole Object will open.

The click on Edit and Insert Object and browse to the PDF file.

David,

You need to insert the exhibit as an OLE object. When you click on Insert New Ole the Ole Object will open.

The click on Edit and Insert Object and browse to the PDF file.

I thought I did that, but Adobe Acrobat didn't appear. Do I need more Adobe software than just the reader to make this work?

I'll try it again tonight.

Thanks,

David

Thanks,

David

I add the PDF files by choosing the Add Text File option (I use as an external file). I change the file type to "all files" in the browse window and then select the file. You get a message that you can only add true text files in reports. Click OK and the exhibit will be added. When I double click on the exhibit, it opens Acrobat Reader and the file.

Kevin

I thought I did that, but Adobe Acrobat didn't appear. Do I need more Adobe software than just the reader to make this work?

I'll try it again tonight.

Thanks,

David

David,

Acrobat Reader doesn't appear. You get a list of files to select from.

I recommend avoiding OLE and using the method Kevin suggested in a previous reply; attach the PDF file as a text exhibit.

If you use Second Site, a text exhibit that links to a PDF file will produce a link to the PDF on your web site. If you don't use Second Site, why not? (just kidding!)

I don't think using OLE to embed PDF files inside other documents, such as reports sent to MS Word, actually works in practice. I've always had very sketchy results trying to use OLE that way, both with TMG and with other programs. Embedding a portion of a spreadsheet in an MS Word doc appears too work, for example, but then some problem crops up, like the embedded spreadsheet doesn't print exactly right, etc.

Jeff,

After a reboot, everything worked fine. Adobe Acrobat even appeared. I think I caught it between an Acrobat update and the required reboot. I've happily embedded now.

Thanks,

David

John,

Oh, blast! Second Site was exactly what I was expecting this to work with. Guess I'll try the link text file method.

Thanks,

David

Jeff,

After a reboot, everything worked fine. Adobe Acrobat even appeared. I think I caught it between an Acrobat update and the required reboot. I've happily embedded now.

Thanks,

David

John,

Oh, blast! Second Site was exactly what I was expecting this to work with. Guess I'll try the link text file method.

Thanks,

David

Glad it worked David.

At least you got the better alternative for Second Site now rather than when you had 200 OLE ojects inserted.

:rolleyes:

David

I use the pdf format for ALL exhibits - census, certificates, obituaries, photos and local maps.

Now I may be barking up the wrong tree here but all I do, once the document is copied into pdf format in a special pdf directory, is then to literally drag the (copy of) file(s) from that directory into the exhibit box of whatever event you want the exhibit to be in - no OLEs or other complicated instructions.

By the way I only do this in TMG - try it.

Hope this helps

Dave

Utrecht Holland

Thanks,

David