dhemery

Marriages, Intentions, and Certifications

Some of the marriages I'm entering have three associated events:

1. Marriage intentions.

2. Marriage certification.

3. Marriage ceremony.

I'm considering adding Marriage Intentions and Marriage Certification tag types, and using Marriage to record the ceremony. Anybody have better ideas for this?

Any recommendations for how to map these tags to GEDCOM fields? Are marriage banns the same as intentions? I've never heard of banns before today, and my limited research gives me the impression that banns have a more specific meaning than intentions.

Thank you,

Dale

I would consider banns the same as intentions, unless intention is more of an engagement. Banns are a formal announcement made to the community prior to the marriage. In the Roman Catholic church, banns are announced each week the three weeks prior to the ceremony. Ostensibly, this is to give any member of the community a chance to act if they know of a reason why the marriage should not proceed.

I would consider banns the same as intentions, unless intention is more of an engagement. Banns are a formal announcement made to the community prior to the marriage. In the Roman Catholic church, banns are announced each week the three weeks prior to the ceremony. Ostensibly, this is to give any member of the community a chance to act if they know of a reason why the marriage should not proceed.

In Quebec, where I was married in 1954, the Protestant churches also read banns, just as you described. I don't know when this practice stopped, or even if it has stopped.

Ken Healy