tmalek

Photo Exhibits TMG 6

My photos are external. I recently upgraded to XP and for some reason (at least unknown to me) the photos now show up in a different pathway (instead of C:\Windows\Desktop...., they now reside in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop.....

Now when I open TMG the photos still show up in the PV but in the Exhibit Log, under Properties\Info, it states for example "File C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\PHOTO FILE\GENEALOGY\MALEK\TN_JOHN1946.JPG not found" which, of course, it can't be found because the pathway was changed with the XP installation.

I have thought about setting up new folders in C:\Windows and then transferring the photos to them so that they would then reside in C:\Windows\Desktop.... (the old pathway) but in looking at the C:\Windows directory it appears that it is a very "technically" oriented directory with a lot of applications, drivers, etc and, having limited technical experience, I hesitate to "fool around" and experiment with changes.

I would like to avoid reentering each of the hundreds of photos. Is there a way to have TMG recognize the new pathway?

Tom Malek

My photos are external. .....

Now when I open TMG the photos still show up in the PV but in the Exhibit Log, under Properties\Info, it states for example "File C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\PHOTO FILE\GENEALOGY\MALEK\TN_JOHN1946.JPG not found" which, of course, it can't be found because the pathway was changed with the XP installation.

Tom Malek

Tom-

Aside from the issue of changing paths in TMG, note that WinXP Documents and Settings folders are designed to gather most data files of all users into one convenient place for easy backup. XP Backup Utility (not necessarily recommended, but found somewhere on the Home Edition Installation CD Rom) will defaut to this folder, as I recall reading somewhere.

On the subject of Windows "Backup" be aware that Win 9X Backup Utility files and Win XP Backup Utility files are incompatible.

Good luck with your Exhibit path change. Others will point you to various apps and methods of changing the paths.

John

This is an annoying problem that I had to deal with as well. I find it rather strange that the absolute path is the one stored in the database, especially since there is a configuration option called "Exhibit Folder" under the Advanced Section of the Current Project Options. Now, my logic tells me this is a pointer to the program what the general absolute path to the exhibits are. So, say I have a picture located in C:\TMG\Exhibits\Aragon\Portrait.jpg and I have the Exhibit Folder set to C:\TMG\Exhibits. In my head what is stored in the database should then be "\Aragon\Portrait.jpg". That way when a picture is to be addressed in the program for whatever reason the Exhibit Folder and the path stored in the database are concatenated to form the absolute path. That way you can move the exhibits around on your harddrive or other harddrives and never worry about broken links. But that's not the case, and it's a great headache.

I have learned this after having to move my exhibits twice. What I have now done is allocated space in a special folder on my C: drive and when I move the family tree to other computers I always keep it on the C: drive in the same folder tree and I have no problems.

Just like the other poster dais though; there are third party programs that will help you change the paths to your exhibits.

Ken.

My photos are external. I recently upgraded to XP and for some reason (at least unknown to me) the photos now show up in a different pathway (instead of C:\Windows\Desktop...., they now reside in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop.....

Thanks John.

Tom

Tom-

Aside from the issue of changing paths in TMG, note that WinXP Documents and Settings folders are designed to gather most data files of all users into one convenient place for easy backup. XP Backup Utility (not necessarily recommended, but found somewhere on the Home Edition Installation CD Rom) will defaut to this folder, as I recall reading somewhere.

On the subject of Windows "Backup" be aware that Win 9X Backup Utility files and Win XP Backup Utility files are incompatible.

Good luck with your Exhibit path change. Others will point you to various apps and methods of changing the paths.

John

Thanks Ken.

Tom

This is an annoying problem that I had to deal with as well. I find it rather strange that the absolute path is the one stored in the database, especially since there is a configuration option called "Exhibit Folder" under the Advanced Section of the Current Project Options. Now, my logic tells me this is a pointer to the program what the general absolute path to the exhibits are. So, say I have a picture located in C:\TMG\Exhibits\Aragon\Portrait.jpg and I have the Exhibit Folder set to C:\TMG\Exhibits. In my head what is stored in the database should then be "\Aragon\Portrait.jpg". That way when a picture is to be addressed in the program for whatever reason the Exhibit Folder and the path stored in the database are concatenated to form the absolute path. That way you can move the exhibits around on your harddrive or other harddrives and never worry about broken links. But that's not the case, and it's a great headache.

I have learned this after having to move my exhibits twice. What I have now done is allocated space in a special folder on my C: drive and when I move the family tree to other computers I always keep it on the C: drive in the same folder tree and I have no problems.

Just like the other poster dais though; there are third party programs that will help you change the paths to your exhibits.

Ken.

I would like to avoid reentering each of the hundreds of photos. Is there a way to have TMG recognize the new pathway?

From the Help File: Validate File Integrity

2. (Optional) If you have external exhibits the List of folders for location window will appear.

a. If you want the program to find any exhibits that may not be in the default folder or may be otherwise missing, check Search for missing external exhibits.

b. Click on [specify the folders to search] to name the folders where exhibits may reside.

The List of Folders window will appear.

c. Click [Add] to add a new folder and locate the folder then click [select]. If you have already added folders, you may also [Delete] them or move them [up] or [Down] in the list of folders.

d. Repeat step c to add as many folders as you wish. When you have finished selecting folders, click [save].

e. Click [OK] to Validate File Integrity.

Wholly Genes, Inc.

Barbara - Thanks so much for your recommendation.

I did as you suggested in your steps b. and c. (below) and listed 2 of my C:\ drive folders where I knew photos were located that had been entered in TMG as exhibits. Then I ran Validate File Integrity (VFI). Then I went back to TMG to check the exhibit log for one of the photos that I knew TMG had previously listed as “not found”. Sure enough the “not found” is gone and the new path (created when I installed XP) is now shown.

This has been a learning experience and in the process I discovered that I also had added photos to TMG that resided in a total of 4 different folders on my C:\ drive. Looks like I lacked consistency of method.

Now for more questions.

First: Are the changes made by running VFI permanent (I don’t have to run it each time I open TMG)?

Second: If I take all of the photos in my 4 separate C:\ drive files, and combine them into one new file, and then do your recommended b. and c. with the new file being entered into the List of Folders window, and then run VFI, will I have accomplished what my original question raised, i.e., “Is there a way to have TMG recognize the new pathway?” so that I don’t have to reenter all of the photos?

Third: Do any of these matters impact on / have a negative effect on the use of Second Site?

Fourth: You said, with respect to the List of Folders, that new folders may be moved “[up] or [Down] in the list of folders”. Just out of curiosity, what purpose would be served by doing that? Under what circumstances would one want to do that?

Thanks again.

Tom Malek

From the Help File: Validate File Integrity

2. (Optional) If you have external exhibits the List of folders for location window will appear.

a. If you want the program to find any exhibits that may not be in the default folder or may be otherwise missing, check Search for missing external exhibits.

b. Click on [specify the folders to search] to name the folders where exhibits may reside.

The List of Folders window will appear.

c. Click [Add] to add a new folder and locate the folder then click [select]. If you have already added folders, you may also [Delete] them or move them [up] or [Down] in the list of folders.

d. Repeat step c to add as many folders as you wish. When you have finished selecting folders, click [save].

e. Click [OK] to Validate File Integrity.

Wholly Genes, Inc.