Helge Haugland

Alternatives to SecondSite for web presentation of TMG data?

The choice between dynamic or static site should not have anything to do with TMG features, but for other features like ease of use or resources available... I started this thread becasue I am looking for a dynamic site tool which honors TMG's features. None of the tools mentioned here does.
Helge,

As with any product, even free products, the size of the target market affects the choice of features and capabilities. At present, none of the dynamic site tools support direct TMG access. They support GEDCOM because that means the product will appeal to most of the market, including TMG users who are willing to constrain themselves to GEDCOM for their web sites. Supporting direct import from TMG means a lot more work but adds only a relatively small subset of the market.

I am thrilled to hear that you are planning such a thing. Will it be for 2006, 2007 or later? :-)
Next question...

Well, I knew someone would do a better job of explaining the differences, and it is no surprise that it is John Cardinal. I agree with almost  everything you said, John, including your comment that it would be a disservice to declare dynamic sites a "clear winner" - I tried not to do that, or to oversimplify the differences, just to indicate what my personal preferences are, and not claim that dynamic sites are "a good choice for 'all' users". This preference is based on what I want the site to do, and that will of course differ among Web site owners. But I did try to simplify things a bit, because it is pretty complicated and this forum isn't the place to get into all the issues - users will have their work cut out for them if they want to dig into this topic.

One comment of John's I would like to expand on is that dynamic sites require greater expertise - they do. Not because of the program itself, it is the server side requirements that can get complicated. And security is a big issue, which with the present state of the art requires a lot of work on the site owner's part. 

Lastly, John, I think it is terrific you plan to develop a dynamic site program. I am sure it will be a superior product, and I will be very interested in evaluating it for my own site.

Martin,

It appears we agree more than I thought. It's easy to read extra meaning into forum posts and perhaps I did that when I read your earlier entries.

I agree that the extra expertise has mostly to do with server administration.

I plan to offer a dynamic site product for TMG that does not rely on GEDCOM and solves some other issues I see with the existing products.

I am REALLY glad to hear this! I was all set to try and lobby you for a Genbridge-type port to Lythgoes' TNG product but as ever, you are many steps ahead of me!

I'm thinking that a static site, along the lines of Terry's simplified sites, is what I'll do for public web access, then for family members they can login and get a dynamic site that lets them see more and provide me with updates.

Yes, I could do it all with a static site, but for me it's more about letting family see things the way THEY want to see them (dynamic) and do "edits" rather than just send me an email. The easier I make it for folks to provide me with additional information, the more likely they are to contribute.

Anyway- HOORAY and I'm waiting patiently here in Houston!

... I plan to offer a dynamic site product for TMG that does not rely on GEDCOM and solves some other issues I see with the existing products.
Drooooool...

-- jgr

I plan to offer a dynamic site product for TMG that does not rely on GEDCOM and solves some other issues I see with the existing products.

:yes:
Oooh....WANT!!!

... for family members they can login and get a dynamic site that lets them see more and provide me with updates.

Yes, I could do it all with a static site, but for me it's more about letting family see things the way THEY want to see them (dynamic) and do "edits" rather than just send me an email. The easier I make it for folks to provide me with additional information, the more likely they are to contribute.

Exactly what I'm hoping to do. In fact, I logged in today to search on collaborative usage of TMG. I already use SS, but a version like this would be great!!

(Eager -
OK, desperate
- to help with alpha & beta testing when the time comes!)

Helge,

As with any product, even free products, the size of the target market affects the choice of features and capabilities. At present, none of the dynamic site tools support direct TMG access. They support GEDCOM because that means the product will appeal to most of the market, including TMG users who are willing to constrain themselves to GEDCOM for their web sites. Supporting direct import from TMG means a lot more work but adds only a relatively small subset of the market.

Next question...

John,

As the market of computerized genealogists grows, and the more the internet becomes the publishing tool (rather than printing out family group sheets and reports), I think you'd be surprised just how many of us TMGers really want this kind of software that would take TMG files directly into a dynamic website!! The GEDCOM way of doing it just doesn't cut it anymore.

I agree with "GenieAulogy"... WE DESPARATELY WANT IT!!! :yes:

I understand it has to be worth it to you to do something of this magnitude... perhaps a poll of the TMGers would be useful?

I understand it has to be worth it to [John Cardinal] to do something of this magnitude... perhaps a poll of the TMGers would be useful?

I would put $100 on the table right now as a personal pledge towards this development.

-- jgr

I'd like have this too. I'd be willing to purchase AND beta test. My hosting package includes, 3 MySQL dbs, Pearl/CGI bin, PHP 4.xx, and SSI all lying fallow. :whistling:

John

Good to see you posting in this forum on this subject of dynamic MySQL/PHP websites. I should have expected you would be on top of this. I am very interested in looking at your version of such a product as I like and use your SS product. I am also building a TNG site. With your ties to TMG, your product would naturally be TMG friendly and be very useful. Keep us posted.

Thanks everyone for the good information here. Now to find a Linux version of TMG..hint hint.

Rich Moberly User of TMG, SS, and now TNG.

Slowly migrating from Windoze to Linux