bettylou

Tag for slave as possible relative?

Our users group has a problem. that one person has a slave owner that was very close to a slave that had children. Most probably by the slave owner. The Balck side of the family wants DNA but the White side of the family does Not. Our member wants to tactfully put the Black family into her TMG genealogy.

What kind of tag could be created to accomplish this?

A chart could be made with a dotted line to the slave family but how could she have a tag linking to possible children that have not been absolutly proven as children?

Betty Lou

Albuquerque TMG Users

Betty Lou,

She might want to check out how I handled the slaves of Hiram Edde

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~r...ry/EDDE/p13.htm

In TMG a child is only allowed to be a biological child, despite what designation you give the link in the relationship tag. If I were her, I would link them in as slaves, which would allow her to follow them through time, and maybe someday prove that they are related. IT would seem to me if the black side of the family wanted to do DNA, they ought to be able to do it. If they can find one male on the white side that already has, all they have to do is compare it.

Our users group has a problem. that one person has a slave owner that was very close to a slave that had children. Most probably by the slave owner. The Balck side of the family wants DNA but the White side of the family does Not. Our member wants to tactfully put the Black family into her TMG genealogy.

What kind of tag could be created to accomplish this? 

A chart could be made with a dotted line to the slave family but how could she have a tag linking to possible children that have not been absolutly proven as children?

Betty Lou

Albuquerque TMG Users

Numerous scenarios of a custom tag could be created, however:

The standard NOTE tag is highly recommended for most data not specifically covered by a standard TMG Tag. It can link two people together and has a memo field for you to explain the linkage. Custom tags are best kept to a minimum. The only custom tag that I use is a RELATION tag to act as a MARRIAGE tag when unmarried people have children together.

In your case, each child can be linked to the theoretical father by a NOTE and mother and theoretical father can be linked by another NOTE. Date, detail field, etc. in the NOTE tag will also be useful to you. When you click on the NOTE in one person's record it transfers you to the linked person's record. The father field of each child would be left blank.

Since there hasn't been a slave for about a century and a half (other than the Mid-East and many African countries), there should be little need for tact. But, you can be as tactful as you like in the explanatory memo fields of the NOTEs.

VCF is ideal for merging mother and father ancestry or descendant charts, as desired.

If the subject parentage is ever resolved, all data is there to properly define the father in your database. The NOTEs can then be edited or deleted.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

Metairie, LA

Mike,

I disagree about custom tags unless you use GEDCOM. The benefits of custom tags are many.

The tag name and role can be shown in the PV.

The roles can have different sentence structure so reports sound less computer written.

Tags can be used or not based on report output. A custom slavery tag can be used when sending reports to one side of the family and not when sending reports to the other side of the family.

It's very easy to search for everyone with a custom slavery tag.

I am sure there are others that aren't on the top of my very tired head right now.

I disagree about custom tags unless you use GEDCOM.  The benefits of custom tags are many.

I very much agree with Teresa on the benefits of custom tags, when not carried to excess. They are particularly useful for sensitive information because you can choose to include or exclude a particular custom tag type in any reports you run, depending on the intended use of the report.

I even disagree with Teresa's caution against using them if you intend to export to GEDCOM. But if you do intend to export you do need to use a bit of care in setting them up to assure they will export as you expect. But then you need to take care in using standard tags as well if you want them to export. <_>

Mike,

I disagree about custom tags unless you use GEDCOM.  The benefits of custom tags are many.

The tag name and role can be shown in the PV. 

The roles can have different sentence structure so reports sound less computer written.

Tags can be used or not based on report output.  A custom slavery tag can be used when sending reports to one side of the family and not when sending reports to the other side of the family.

It's very easy to search for everyone with a custom slavery tag.

I am sure there are others that aren't on the top of my very tired head right now.

I very much agree with Teresa on the benefits of custom tags, when not carried to excess. They are particularly useful for sensitive information because you can choose to include or exclude a particular custom tag type in any reports you run, depending on the intended use of the report.

I even disagree with Teresa's caution against using them if you intend to export to GEDCOM. But if you do intend to export you do need to use a bit of care in setting them up to assure they will export as you expect. But then you need to take care in using standard tags as well if you want them to export.  <_<

Oops. sorry about the blank message.

I have no quarrel with custom tags, unless a standard tag will serve the purpose as well or better.

To confine this opinion to the original subject of this thread, a suspected father, with no evidence to support his paternity, is better served by the low-key NOTE tag linking the participants together. Theories with no proof, do not need to be shouted, just usefully recorded.

I do use GEDCOM, a lot. It seems that none of my cousins had the good taste to use TMG <g>. In Frappr, there is only one other person in Louisiana with TMG, unfortunately, we are not acquainted. Can we fix that?

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

PS: Computer generated text, strangely enough, does look like computer generated text. The dead give-away is that the same phrases are repeated over and over, hundreds of times in long reports, no matter how cleverly well phrased.

I have no quarrel with custom tags, unless a standard tag will serve the purpose as well or better. 

To confine this opinion to the original subject of this thread, a suspected father, with no evidence to support his paternity, is better served by the low-key NOTE tag linking the participants together.  Theories with no proof, do not need to be shouted, just usefully recorded.

I do use GEDCOM, a lot.  It seems that none of my cousins had the good taste to use TMG <g>.  In Frappr, there is only one other person in Louisiana with TMG, unfortunately, we are not acquainted.  Can we fix that?

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

PS: Computer generated text, strangely enough, does look like computer generated text.  The dead give-away is that the same phrases are repeated over and over, hundreds of times in long reports, no matter how cleverly well phrased.

Thanks for the discussion. Our next meeting will cover all of the contributions and will discuss the pros and cons of this situation and possibly other situations that are similiar.

Betty Lou

You could go back and delete it. :)

To confine this opinion to the original subject of this thread, a suspected father, with no evidence to support his paternity, is better served by the low-key NOTE tag linking the participants together.  Theories with no proof, do not need to be shouted, just usefully recorded.

Sorry, Mike, but I couldn't disagree more. :( In my view this case is a perfect example of when a standard tag does not serve as well. I think of at least two reasons:

- It is difficult to exclude a Note tag from reports, since generally you have lots of them, and you wouldn't want exclude them all just to exclude one bit of questionable information. And, unsupported speculation is exactly the sort of thing you might want to exclude from a report, say if you are only including information about which you are confident.

- A Note tag begs to be missed when you are searching for your notes about this unsupported tidbit - say when you find another bit of information that supports or contradicts it. You don't want it to hide in your Person View, or in a report format that lists tag labels - you want it to be easy to find.

At least, my 2 cents worth. :)