Duane Funk

Co Mingled Source Types

I use custom source types in my main project. Recently I started work on another project that had been imported from UFT some years ago and left untouched until now. In the process I found one individual I wanted in the main project. It had three events and two sources. I merged the two projects moved the person I wanted to the main project and deleted the other dataset.

That was several days ago, yesterday I discovered that all of the source types from the second project are now in my main project, further some of them have gotten attached to existing source records. Example:

The source type Roots III has appeared in my project. I did not have it before and never used it. Now if I try to delete it I am told it is used eight times. Using a Source report I found the eight sources, but when I go to those sources the source type is shown as "Death Registration (State Level)", which is what it is should be. However if I go ahead and delete Roots III these eight sources revert to the primary source type.

Near as I can tell there may be over 100 sources affected by this problem.

1) How do I fix it

2) How do I keep from happening again

Duane Funk

West Linn, OR

I would suggest that you start over and try using Copy Person rather than Move Person and see if that avoids the problem. Terry is testing the Move Person issue to pin that down.

Duane,

Just an observation... You should not make changes of these types without having a backup in place beforehand. You should never put yourself in the position of not being able to revert to a point prior to something like this happening.

I see what happened and have reported the issue. Do no further work with your project. Back it up and send it to me. Back up the project files ONLY.

No guarantees depending on what you have done since using Move Person.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

... custom source types ... UFT ... moved the person ... has appeared in my project. I did not have it before and never used it. Now if I try to delete it I am told it is used eight times. Using a Source report I found the eight sources, but when I go to those sources the source type is shown as "Death Registration (State Level)", which is what it is should  be.

Duane

I was going to put a query on the Board but then I found your query which seemed so very much like my experience so I'll wait and see what answer you receive

Just one query, do you also have extra sources - Tools>Source Types.  For example, I have two entries one under the other:

Ancestral File

Ancestral File 

These have exactly the same entries for Full Footnote etc BUT when I run a report like you did they have not been used

Most of the other Sources, some of which I have used, have two and some a lot more entries with digits added after the titles eg 1, 2, 3,  Some of these are slightly different eg I have added < > in the footnotes and bibliography.  The originals appear to be still there together with the change

But as I said, your original description of your problem fits mine

Jim

Jim

I had to send the whole project to tech support and they send me a patch to repair the problem.

Duane

Thanks for your reply

I'll wait until after Easter and then send a query to tech support as I would like my existing problems fixed.  (It might take me that long to go through check and them write up what happens in my case :-) )I have always found them helpful

Jim