Prognatus

Place Style localization

Here's a question about Place Styles from a newbie. This question has probably been asked many times before, but please bare with me (I tried to search for an answer). :)

I'm having difficulties assigning a custom Place Style to people's address. Since most of my ancestors come from Norway, I want a special Place Style too. I've tried this so far (what I remember from the top of my head):

* File->Data Set Manager->Default Data Set Styles->Places set to Custom.

* Preferences->Program Options->Custom Styles are set to Custom place style.

* Preferences->Program Options->Data Entry->Data Entry Mode set to Advanced.

* Preferences->Program Options->Data Entry->Data Entry Mode->Advanced->Place labels = Enabled.

* Added a new Place Style in Tools->Master Style List.

* Added a new custom address Tag.

* Tried to modify the place values in Preferences->Program Options->Custom Styles->Modify Custom Styles, but they show up nowhere...

Nothing seem to help me change the U.S. standard template to another one. I just keep getting the same field labels also in the template - one per field and none of my translated ones. ...so I'm kind of stuck at the moment. If anyone can guide me in the right direction of how to do this, I'd be overjoyed. Thanks! ;)

Edited by Prognatus

First in Preferences->Program Options->Data Entry->Data Entry Mode->Advanced->Place labels = Enabled, I think you will like it better if those are disabled.

Now you need to go to the MASTER STYLE LIST>PLACES and click on the US Standard Place. THen click on ADD. This will bring up a window for you to create your new style. On any label that doesn't match your needs, right click on the label and a box will come up "MODIFY LABELS AT THIS LEVEL." YOu will want to do this. I find after I create the new label and say OK, that I then have to go and select my new label from the drop down list. Once you get all your labels the way you want, go to the output template box and select reset. THis will copy your labels to the output template. You can remove any fields that you don't plan to use.

Now your new style will be available to use. You can select it individually as you add each tag, or you can set it as the default for the dataset, or you can set it as the default for just your new Address tag.

Hi Teresa! :)

First in  Preferences->Program Options->Data Entry->Data Entry Mode->Advanced->Place labels = Enabled, I think you will like it better if those are disabled.

Ok.
On any label that doesn't match your needs, right click on the label and a box will come up "MODIFY LABELS AT THIS LEVEL."  YOu will want to do this.
Ah! Right click on the label! That was the key to the whole thing. Thanks!

I'm puzzled why this is so well "hidden" though. In the exhibition you also have to right click to add contents (I used two days to find that out...) Why not just have a button - [...] for labels and [New] for exhibition contents? It'd be so much easier to find.

I find after I create the new label and say OK, that I then have to go and select my new label from the drop down list.  Once you get all your labels the way you want, go to the output template box and select reset.  THis will copy your labels to the output template.  You can remove any fields that you don't plan to use.

Now your new style will be available to  use.  You can select it individually as you add each tag, or you can set it as the default for the dataset, or you can set it as the default for just your new Address tag.

Great, thanks! :)

...But what does "Temple" mean here? I know what a temple is, but it can't be that...? LOL

Att. norwegians:

I also wonder how other norwegian users labels the place and name styles. I want to do this right from the beginning, so I don't have to reorder the contents in my input fields later. I'd appreciate some tips, if you have experience with this.

Hi Bjorn,

...But what does "Temple" mean here? I know what a temple is, but it can't be that...? LOL

It actually means "Temple".

That refers to the members of the LDS (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) and reflects their name for their "church".

BTW They provided the GEDCOM specifications if I'm not totally mislead.

Att. norwegians:

I also wonder how other norwegian users labels the place and name styles.  I want to do this right from the beginning, so I don't have to reorder the contents in my input fields later.  I'd appreciate some tips, if you have experience with this.

Regarding this may be you would like to contact Torleif Haugødegård from Hamar, Norway a very experienced TMG user. His email address is .

I don't have my copy of TMG with me, so I am not sure if I have a Norwegian place style, don't think I do. Lee Hoffman has several place styles on his site at www.TMGTIPS.com. I am sure if you came up with a good one, he would post it for you. Lee is great about doing that.

Hi Bjorn,

That refers to the members of the LDS (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) and reflects their name for their "church".

Regarding this may be you would like to contact Torleif Haugødegård from Hamar, Norway a very experienced TMG user. His email address is <tha@tha.no> .

A minor correction -- the Temple is where they perform sacred ordinances for the living and the dead. Hence their interest in genealogy work, for 'redemption of the dead'. Where they meet on Sundays and conduct services is entirely different.

Hi Bjorn,

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Now that you mention it, I do remember hearing that the LDS church invented GEDCOM. Anyway, I guess they deserve their own field in the address template. They've done a huge work of collecting genealogy data from all over the globe.

But I don't think I'll need this field as originally intended in a norwegian address template. I'll use it for something else then.

Regarding this may be you would like to contact Torleif Haugødegård from Hamar, Norway a very experienced TMG user. His email address is <tha@tha.no> .

Yes, thanks for the tip! I know of him from before. As a matter of fact, I visited his homepage just last week. So I'll try and contact him about this. :)

@ Teresa:

I don't have my copy of TMG with me, so I am not sure if I have a Norwegian place style, don't think I do. Lee Hoffman has several place styles on his site at www.TMGTIPS.com. I am sure if you came up with a good one, he would post it for you. Lee is great about doing that.
Thanks for that great tip, Teresa!

@ dakko:

A minor correction -- the Temple is where they perform sacred ordinances for the living and the dead. Hence their interest in genealogy work, for 'redemption of the dead'. Where they meet on Sundays and conduct services is entirely different.
Hi, dakko! Thanks for the clarification. Norway is a more secular society and has fewer churches and temples. But I talk to LDS guys almost every week, actually. Coincidently, some of them work for the same volunteer organization as me - although we're not connected otherwise with LDS or other churches.