Bob Hendry

Project file size?

Is there a generally recommended approach to file sizes when building projects? Would it be better to build and maintain one huge project? Or several smaller projects?

I am in the process of converting my existing files and GEDCOMS to TMG projects - I have very little experience - and don't want to make a big mistake now that might come back to bite me down the road.

Thanks!

Bob Hendry

Southern Maryland

Is there a generally recommended approach to file sizes when building projects?  Would it be better to build and maintain one huge project?  Or several smaller projects?

I am in the process of converting my existing files and GEDCOMS to TMG projects - I have very little experience - and don't want to make a big mistake now that might come back to bite me down the road. 

Thanks!

Bob Hendry

Southern Maryland

Once upon a time, I had 2 datasets. The reasons why were valid at the time with my old genealogy program, but with switching to TMG were no longer relevant. Separate datasets were a nightmare even with TMG. File maintenance was more difficult, some reports that I wanted but spanned the 2 datasets were impossible.

I merged the two datasets and life has been much simpler and happier, ever since.

I don't know what you consider to be a huge dataset. My data contains about 73,500 people with over 8000 images in a single dataset of a single project. It is a joy to maintain with TMG. A data set of 70,000 would be no more difficult to keep organized than one of 7000 with TMG.

I do have other projects containing multiple datasets. They are data from friends and relatives that I use for reference purposes, only. Other projects are also used to test GEDCOMs that I make for colleagues.

As you have guessed, I strongly recommend merging all of your data into a single dataset, single project. You have to manually resolve duplicate people resulting from the merge. Resolving duplicates will just get more difficult as your research expands.

TMG has no known dataset size limitations other than that imposed by your computer memory.

This topic has been addressed in past threads.

Good luck and best wishes,

Mike Talbot

Mike,

Is there a project size maximum though? - disregard number of people.

Why do I ask,

Because Family Tree Maker (2006) has reached a maximum file size which I for one did not know existed. Although searching the web has revealed others who have hit exactly the same issue

Once your FTM file reaches 2Gb you can no longer add pictures to the scrapbook functionality. I use this feature to record source documentation such as bmd certificates & census images.

The technical help at FTM actually advise no more than 1.7Gb.

I have imported the FTM file into Master Genealogist 6 - trial I'm playing with & all went OK & I noted it created thumbnails as it went quoting original file size. Anyway that worked & I was able to add further documentation.

I then started looking through features & saw that you could change the thumbnail size from 150 pixels - so I changed to 250 just to see what happens. about a third to half way through it came up with a no more room error message - can't recall actual wording but will ateempt to reproduce error when I have a minute.

Which leads me to believe that MG also has a max file size although I can only guess at it at the moment - currently the project size is similar to FTM file size i.e ~2Gb.

Dave - wondering what software to switch to

Guest PhilDee
Mike,

Is there a project size maximum though? - disregard number of people.

Why do I ask,

Because Family Tree Maker (2006) has reached a maximum file size which I for one did not know existed. Although searching the web has revealed others who have hit exactly the same issue

Once your FTM file reaches 2Gb you can no longer add pictures to the scrapbook functionality. I use this feature to record source documentation such as bmd certificates & census images.

The technical help at FTM actually advise no more than 1.7Gb.

I have imported the FTM file into Master Genealogist 6 - trial I'm playing with & all went OK & I noted it created thumbnails as it went quoting original file size. Anyway that worked & I was able to add further documentation.

I then started looking through features & saw that you could change the thumbnail size from 150 pixels - so I changed to 250 just to see what happens. about a third to half way through it came up with a no more room error message - can't recall actual wording but will ateempt to reproduce error when I have a minute.

Which leads me to believe that MG also has a max file size although I can only guess at it at the moment - currently the project size is similar to FTM file size i.e ~2Gb.

Dave - wondering what software to switch to

Dave,

The thumbnails are only used in the Exhibit Log and Image Window. They are not used in your reports. Can I assume your exhibits are all external? That means that the exhibit images themselves are saved external to the data files. Only the path to the exhibit is stored as part of your data. You can even turn off the thumbnails.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

Hello Dave!

I don't know to much about the Tech-Facts of TMG, but i know (from video-editing) that Windows used to have (or still has?) a filesize-limitation of 2 Gig. (Maybe that has changed.) So maybe it is not ONLY a software-restriction but a operatins-system problem. (But again it's not more than a guess.)

Another idea migth be to reduce filesize of your Exhibits. 2 Gig seem quite a lot to me. You could put the original-size photos, videos, etc. in external folders and only reference to them and put smaller versions of them directly in your dataset. So both would be available by maybe smaller filesize.

- Phil