baker13

Restore problems with 6.08

I installed the 6.08 update on my computer earlier this week. When I tried to restore a database (saved under 6.08 on another computer), I received the following message:

"The selected backup file cannot be restored by the current version of The Master Genealogist. It may be an older backup format which is supported by the Import wizard, however."

I tried to import it but it didn't recognize the sqz file. I then reinstalled 6.07 on the computer & tried to restore the latest backup, which it refused because it was a later backup version. (I knew that.) I then reinstalled 6.08 update. I can restore backups done in 6.07 to 6.08, but I cannot restore backups done in 6.08.

Thankfully, this computer is only used for reference & off-site backup purposes, but still, it's frustrating.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Debbie

Whilst it doesn't help with your problem, I had no difficulties restoring to v6.08 on my laptop from a backup made in v6.08 on my desktop.

Les

Debbie - what medium did you use to make the backup on the other computer? If you tried to restore directly from the backup medium, try first copying the .sqz file from the backup medium to your computer and see if it will restore from there.

Virginia

I installed the 6.08 update on my computer earlier this week. When I tried to restore a database (saved under 6.08 on another computer), I received the following message:

"The selected backup file cannot be restored by the current version of The Master Genealogist. It may be an older backup format which is supported by the Import wizard, however."

I'm having the same problem. I backed up to my desktop hard disk, copied the sqz file to my laptop hard disk, then tried to restore (6.08 on both, of course.)

Ideas?

Barbara

I presume that you have the same operating system on both computers, and that if that is XP then that you are logged in as a user on both who has admin rights. There is possibility that "somehow" a security policy on one machine is creating some problem.

If you are not logged on to the "restore" machine as an admin rights user, please try that to eliminate the permissions issue.

Can you restore the SQZ file from that media copy to a different folder on the _same_ machine upon the original backup was done? (and then successfully use it).

You need to eliminate the backup file being corrupt then examine the alternative that is a difference between the two machines "somehow".

Is there a difference in the AV or spyware applications running on the two machines?

I'm having the same problem with 6.08 (UK version). The Backup file cannot be loaded onto my laptop, either by 'Restore' or by 'Import'. It has the errors flagged by the original poster. And no, I haven't tried restoring on my primary machine as I do NOT want to risk the sole source of good data on my primary machine in any way. (Having migrated a year ago from FTW with a 2000 person database after database corruption problems there!)

Backup and restores worked fine in 6.07 (UK)

Of course both machines have been parallel upgraded and are at 6.08.

Is there an alternate way of backing up? Copying a directory or something?

Thanks

Don

One machine is XP, the other is XP Pro. On both I am admin. And in any case, no matter what permissions I have, it would be a bug that a backup made on a computer does not work to restore on that same computer.

I haven't yet tested others' theory that File|Backup works but File|Exit, Backup does not. I am grateful that WinZip works.

Barbara

I presume that you have the same operating system on both computers, and that if that is XP then that you are logged in as a user on both who has admin rights. There is possibility that "somehow" a security policy on one machine is creating some problem.

On the TMG-L listserv there are reports that it makes a difference HOW you did your backup. Can you specify whether you made the backup while being prompted to do so as you exit? or explicitly while in TMG using the Backup option in the File menu. Some users have reported problems with backups produced using the first method, while the second seems to be reliable.

I tried out Barbara's comment and can confirm that a Backup from within the programme IS absolutely fine for me, but the backup on exit is unreadable. So it appears to be a bug in that part of v6.08 of the package

Both laptop and main machines run Win XP Pro and both are fully up to date with their respective patches and both have full administrator rights.

Thanks for commenting about the manual Backup appearing to work on other machines. It works for me!

Don

I just discovered the same problem. I made a back up on exit from my laptop, transfered it to my decktop and it would not restore. I went back to the laptop and tried to restore it there, no joy.

I made a backup straight from the program without the prompt on exit. Restore than worked fine on both machines.

Both machines are running Windows XP.

Duane Funk

West Linn, OR

On the TMG-L listserv there are reports that it makes a difference HOW you did your backup.  Can you specify whether you made the backup while being prompted to do so as you exit?  or explicitly while in TMG using the Backup option in the File menu.  Some users have reported problems with backups produced using the first method, while the second seems to be reliable.

My backups were made from within the program (i.e. not made on the exit prompt) which probably explains why I was able to restore with no problems.

Les

Debbie - what medium did you use to make the backup on the other computer?  If you tried to restore directly from the backup medium, try first copying the .sqz file from the backup medium to your computer and see if it will restore from there.

Virginia

Virginia,

I backup to my hard disk, then copy the file to a thumb drive. I then copy the file from the thumb drive to the other computer's hard disk before running the restore. Both machines run XP Home & I am admin on both.

Having read the comments & suggestions made, I generally do the backup on exit. Tonight, I will make a backup from within TMG & see if I have better luck tomorrow morning with the restore.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Debbie

Making the backup from File/Backup solved the problem. Thanks to all who gave input.

Debbie

Making the backup from File/Backup solved the problem. Thanks to all who gave input.

Debbie

Had same problem and making the backup as suggested from File/Backup solved my problem as well. Thanks to all of you for the solution. It works.

Had same problem and making the backup as suggested from File/Backup solved my problem as well.  Thanks to all of you for the solution.  It works.

We've had a number of users describe how backing up on exit does not produce a useful backup.

It would be nice to hear that WhollyGenes' staff have experienced the same problem, and hence are working on a solution. It would be a shame if there are users out there that have not read this thread or other messages on this problem and find their Backup-on-exit files don't work when they really need them.

It goes to show that you really should test your backups to be sure they work. But for that you need access to TMG on two compatible machines, and many users are not so lucky. Or maybe there is a technique that allows users to safely restore a backup file on your one machine as a second project that is completely separate from your main one. (I've always explicitly backuped my database, and I have two machines on a network, so I would never have noticed this problem.)

Pierce

Pierce

Guest PhilDee
We've had a number of users describe how backing up on exit does not produce a useful backup.

It would be nice to hear that WhollyGenes' staff have experienced the same problem, and hence are working on a solution. It would be a shame if there are users out there that have not read this thread or other messages on this problem and find their Backup-on-exit files don't work when they really need them.

It goes to show that you really should test your backups to be sure they work. But for that you need access to TMG on two compatible machines, and many users are not so lucky. Or maybe there is a technique that allows users to safely restore a backup file on your one machine as a second project that is completely separate from your main one. (I've always explicitly backuped my database, and I have two machines on a network, so I would never have noticed this problem.)

Pierce

Pierce

Pierce,

The TMG staff is fully aware of the problem of backups on exit not working correctly and the problem will be resolved in a future update.

You can always test your backup safely on the same computer you made it on. Just Restore it as you normally would. At the point in the Wizard that tells you that you are about to overwrite existing data and asks if you are sure just click on NO and exit the Wizard.

Or alternatively, in step two of the Restore Wizard you can uncheck the little box over the save to location, change the restore to location and continue the Wizard. This will restore the project to some location than your normal projects folder.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support