I've just started to use TMG (UK Silver Edition) and after importing a GEDCOM file from another program I find that I cannot edit the memo field in tag boxes. This information has been imported from the old program and when I try to delete some information it appears to be deleted in the tag box memo field but if I then close the tag box and reopen it the original informationis there and the deletions have had no effect. How do you edit memo fields in tag boxes ?

I've just started to use TMG (UK Silver Edition) and after importing a GEDCOM file from another program I find that I cannot edit the memo field in tag boxes. This information has been imported from the old program and when I try to delete some information it appears to be deleted in the tag box memo field but if I then close the tag box and reopen it the original informationis there and the deletions have had no effect. How do you edit memo fields in tag boxes ?

How are you trying to close it? If by the x you will lose changes. To retain changes try clicking on the "OK" at the botom of the Tag Entry Screen.

Les

Thanks for that Les, it works fine. I don't know how I didn't figure that out for myself !

I've another query that you might know the answer to. Is there a global way of altering tag names ? i.e. I want to change "christning" to "baptism". I can do it on an individual person basis but it is slow going. I've tried the help menu but can't find an answer.

I've another query that you might know the answer to. Is there a global way of altering tag names ? i.e. I want to change "christning" to "baptism". I can do it on an individual person basis but it is slow going.

I'm not sure what you mean here - Do you actually want to change the name of the Tag Type, or do you want to change tags from one type to another?

If you really want to change the name of the tag:

Tag Type names cannot be changed in individual tags, but can be changed in Tag Type Definition screen - open the Master Tag Type List, select a Tag Type, and click Edit. Note that you don't want to duplicate a name already used for another Tag Type.

If all you want to do is change the label, go to the Master Tag Type list and edit the label of the Christning Tag Type to something else (remembering that it cannot be "Baptism" unless you first change the name of that standard Tag Type). You probably would also want to change the wording of the Sentence Structure as well, as it includes the term "christened."

This change will be applied to all existing and new tags you create of this type.

If you really want to change from one Tag Type to Another

For a given tag, you can change from one Type to another in the same Group by clicking on the Tag Type button on the Tag Entry Screen. Note that the default Baptism Tag Type is in the Birth group (so it can be used as a substitute for the Birth tag when birth information is missing) and the default Christning Tag Type is in the Other Events group.

You cannot change a Tag from one Group to another within TMG. Nor is there any provision to change all the Tags of a certain Type within TMG. However, John Cardinal's TMG Utility will do those jobs for you.