Sign in to follow this  
helbren

Unable to open TMG 6.08

Suddenly I cannot open TMG. This morning I did a backup and later closed down my computer. I started to load TMG but it would not open. It partly opened and I saw the TMG screen with my registration on it. That screen disappeared and I expected TMG to continue opening. TMG appeared in the Task bar, and then it just disappeared including the tab in the task bar.

I have closed down and re-booted but the problem persists.

Would welcome any advice.

Brenda

This morning I again tried to open TMG and this message appeared.

Unknown member ROTLMAN

Method: MSHUTDOWN

Line 198

Do "c\program files\ the master genealogist\tmg.exe"

when I pressed OK the message kept reappearing so had to press cancel and then the whole of TMG disappeared again.

I tried again and although the message does not appear the same problem is still there and I cannot open TMG.

Can anyone help please?

Brenda

Brenda,

Can't help with the problem I'm afraid, however, if it will help those who can diagnose it, I've had a similar problem. Since upgrading to 6.08 (UK version), on two occasions the same thing happened. It doesn't happen every time I start TMG, but when it does, a restart seems to cure it.

David.

Brenda

You may be running into either or both of 2 known problems: 'Check for an update' and 'Backup on exit' (since your problem started after a backup).

If you are able to open TMG, go into Preferences > 'Startup and Exit' and change Check for an Update to 0. Updates are widely announced, so no need to check for it.

If you are not able to open TMG, you can go into the app.ini file and make the Check for an Update change there:

With TMG closed, open the file 'app.ini' (in the main tmg folder). It is a text file which should open in Notepad when you doubleclick on it. (Do NOT edit this file in a word processor!)

In the first section labeled [startup], change both of the 'CheckforanUpdate' items to 0. Also change 'WelcomeBack' to 2 if it is 3 now. That will open the Welcome Window when tmg starts up and might help with your problem. Save the file app.ini and try opening tmg.

There is a known problem with Restoring backups which are made with the 'backup-on-exit' option. For now use the menu File > Backup.

Let us know if any of this helps -

Virginia

Hi Virginia,

Thanks for your reply.

With TMG closed, open the file 'app.ini' (in the main tmg folder). It is a text file which should open in Notepad when you doubleclick on it. (Do NOT edit this file in a word processor!)

found 2 files one called _app and the other just app. The first only had one update item "checkupdatelast = 2453366"

so I left that and went to the other app and changed as you suggested.

In the first section labeled [startup], change both of the 'CheckforanUpdate' items to 0. Also change 'WelcomeBack' to 2 if it is 3 now. That will open the Welcome Window when tmg starts up and might help with your problem. Save the file app.ini and try opening tmg.

Tried to open and got to the Welcome window. Clicked "last project" and everything disappeared again.

When I back up I have it on my toolbar and do it from there and not on closing.

When I first tried to open TMG this morning, before reading your message, I got a program error box saying

Unknown member ROBOOKMARKMAN

followed by another saying

Unknown member ROPLCOLMAN

Have also tried doing a system restore and that has not helped either. Forgot to mention that I am using the UK version in case that helps.

Brenda

PS. Thanks David for trying to help

When you get the Welcome window, do not click on 'last project'. Instead try to get into TMG by opening the Sample project. Then you can go to Preferences and change Check for an Update to 0, and deselect the option to backup on exit. And, once you get into TMG, you can use File > Open to try to get into your own project.

The update setting you deleted was the date of the last update. You should also set the other update setting to 0 so it will not try to run the update routine when you start tmg.

In Windows File Manager, make sure that View is set to Details and that extensions are not hidden. The file has the extension .ini, so the full name of the file is app.ini

My [startup] section in the app.ini file looks like this, with the last two entries set to 0:

[startup]

ReloadOnStart=No

ShowHintsform=No

SplashDelay=4

WelcomeBack=2

Welcome=2

CheckUpdateLast=0

CheckUpdateDays=0

For now I would stick with File > Backup in case backing up from the toolbar is also problematic.

Virginia

Hi Virginia,

I tried the Sample project but it still disappears.

My app.ini

looks like this

[startup]

ReloadOnStart=No

ShowHintsform=Yes

SplashDelay=4

WelcomeBack=2

Welcome=2

CheckUpdateLast=0

CheckUpdateDays=0

SampleLocation=sample_uk\sample_uk__.pjc

the _app.ini

looks like this

[startup]

ReloadOnStart=No

ShowHintsform=Yes

SplashDelay=4

WelcomeBack=2

SampleLocation=sample_uk\sample_uk__.pjc

Welcome=2

CheckUpdateLast=2453366

should I also be changing the 2453366 to 0 ?

Brenda

Brenda -

I don't think changing the 2453366 to 0 would help at this point. You could try other options on the welcome window - like New or Restore - to see if tmg will open but otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Sorry not to be of more help. If you leave a message for tech support using the icon at the bottom of the forum window, they should get it first thing Monday morning. I'll be interested to learn what the problem turns out to be.

Virginia