Virginia Blakelock

Size of attachments & global space

Are there any guidelines for the pixel size of an attachment so that it is comfortably viewable at different screen resolutions? Is 800x600 still the most common resolution? (Member resolution size might make an interesting poll.)

Along the same line, how does global space work? If a member exceeds his allotment are his oldest messages purged?

Virginia

Are there any guidelines for the pixel size of an attachment so that it is comfortably viewable at different screen resolutions?

I would use the lowest resolution that does not compromise the point of the screen shot. I wouldn't try to show a screen layout in 640x400, for instance. And if thing that you're trying to communicate doesn't require a shot of the entire screen, I would crop it to what you need - not only to preserve disk space but download time for readers.

Is 800x600 still the most common resolution?

Dunno.

Along the same line, how does global space work?  If a member exceeds his allotment are his oldest messages purged?

No, you won't be permitted to upload an attachment that would cause you to exceed your allotment.