Helge Haugland

Crash when choosing sibling

TMG has crashed twice on me, once yesterday and again today. No error messages neither from TMG nor Windows XP. I can start up again just fine, all my data are saved, but the crashes are strange.

I have gotten it when I'm "browsing" my database and double-click on a person in the sibling windows. The persons were different each time.

I'm using TMG ver 6.08 with WinXP on a laptop with 1 GB RAM and with 28 GB free space on the harddrive.

What can I do to avoid crashes like this?

Helge Haugland

If you mean that tmg abruptly shuts down rather than freezes, it sounds like the old 'abrupt exit' problem; double-clicking in the sibling window is one of the known causes. If so, there should be an error message in the tmg error log:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log

The error messages are dated, with the most recent at the bottom of the list. If you find a message (there may be multiple copies of a single error message), paste a copy in your reply.

I don't know of a solution, but if you are running an anti-virus program in the background, you might try running tmg without it.

Virginia

This is the error from the log file:

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2006.04.17 03:30:58 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log	Called from -  tmgmain line 586  {C:\Programfiler\The Master Genealogist\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\programfiler\the master genealogist\tmg.exe}

Hope this helps you track down the error.

This is the error from the log file:

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2006.04.17 03:30:58 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log	Called from -  tmgmain line 586  {C:\Programfiler\The Master Genealogist\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\programfiler\the master genealogist\tmg.exe}

Hope this helps you track down the error.

A couple of people have reported that running SpySweeper in the background seemed to be connected to the double-click-sibling shut down. Are you using that or a similar program?

Virginia

Same thing happening to me - it had gone away with the last upgrade, but seems to be back :(

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2006.04.28 06:06:15 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log

Called from -  tmgmain line 586  {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\program files\the master genealogist\tmg.exe}

I'm not running Spy Sweeper. Any other fixes?

I have the same problem and have to carefully avoid double clicking in the sibling window. I am running Windows XP with Symantec AntiVirus running. Has anyone come up with a solution for to avoid this problem?

The error code from vfp7rerr.log is:

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2007.02.09 03:06:21 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log

Called from - tmgmain line 595 {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\program files\the master genealogist\tmg.exe}

Thanks,

Geoff

TMG has crashed twice on me, once yesterday and again today. No error messages neither from TMG nor Windows XP. I can start up again just fine, all my data are saved, but the crashes are strange.

I have gotten it when I'm "browsing" my database and double-click on a person in the sibling windows. The persons were different each time.

I'm using TMG ver 6.08 with WinXP on a laptop with 1 GB RAM and with 28 GB free space on the harddrive.

What can I do to avoid crashes like this?

Helge Haugland

I have the same problem and have to carefully avoid double clicking in the sibling window. I am running Windows XP with Symantec AntiVirus running. Has anyone come up with a solution for to avoid this problem?

Geoff - as far as I know, noone has come up with a solution. You could try running TMG alone, temporarily turning off the antivirus program.

If you have item tips turned on for the Siblings window, try turning it off (or vice versa). That option is on the rightclick menu in the siblings window.

Where is the siblings window located in your layout (for example - right lower quadrant)? Are you running TMG full screen or windowed?

Virginia

It does not appear that I can turn the anti-virus off on my computer. Item tips in the Siblings List in not turned on. The siblings window is in the lower right corner and the program is running as a window (not full screen). The error only occurs when I am working in Details window and double click on one of the siblings. If I single click on a sibling to "activate" the Sibling window, then double click on the sibling, it changes the view to the sibling with no problem. If I forget to do this two step approach, the program suddenly dies as described by others in this thread.

As suggested, I turned on the Items Tips in the Siblings list and I can't recreate the error. Then I tried turning off the Items Tips and again, I can't recreate the error. I even exited and re-entered the program and now it doesn't appear to have this error any more.

The only thing I did was turn the Item Tips off and then back on, and it appears to have fixed the issue.

Bizarre! You have to love these "undocumented features".

Thanks for your help!

Geoff

The only thing I did was turn the Item Tips off and then back on, and it appears to have fixed the issue.

That turned out to be an easy solution - let's hope it's permanent! I asked about the location of the siblings window because there were a couple of reports of people clicking in that general area (lower right quadrant) - though not in the siblings window

Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it.

Virginia