RebeccaLws

Can I install on a USB flash drive?

Is there any way to install TMG onto a USB flash drive so that I can use it at any desktop with a USB port?

No, you cannot install any modern Windows programs in that way. The reason is that the installation procedure generally writes information to the Windows Registry and sometimes files to other locations than the installation folder.

Some alternatives:

If you just want to review the data, create a website with Second Site that includes everyone in your Project, and put that on the flash drive - you can view it with the web browser on any computer.

Copy the full installer, and a copy of your registration information to the flash drive. Then you can temporarily install it on any machine - just remember to uninstall it when you are done.

No, you cannot install any modern Windows programs in that way. The reason is that the installation procedure generally writes information to the Windows Registry and sometimes files to other locations than the installation folder.

Some alternatives:

If you just want to review the data, create a website with Second Site that includes everyone in your Project, and put that on the flash drive - you can view it with the web browser on any computer.

Copy the full installer, and a copy of your registration information to the flash drive. Then you can temporarily install it on any machine - just remember to uninstall it when you are done.

Terry,

Your Second Site idea looks quite workable, although I suspect some information will not be available through Second Site or not be searchable the way we would like. (But I don't have much experience with Second Site.)

Many computers in public areas are locked down so a casual user cannot install a product like TMG.

There are products for PDAs that will load up a GEDCOM, to give you access to much of your data.

Maybe some day there will be a reasonably priced pocket (or pocketbook) sized computer with the full Windows XP (or whatever) operating system that you can actually install TMG on.

Alternately, maybe WhollyGenes could create a variation of TMG that did not require installation on the computer, but simply worked from whatever disk the program and data was stored on. UFT was written for the ancient Win 3.1, so it can be run directly off a USB drive (no install or uninstall steps needed). It is certainly nice to be able to use search and display options that have become second nature.

I have often wondered what benefits there are to developers to use the Windows registry, that get them locked into a formal install process.

Pierce

Your Second Site idea looks quite workable, although I suspect some information will not be available through Second Site or not be searchable the way we would like. (But I don't have much experience with Second Site.)

There is little that can't be included in a website created by Second Site if yiu choose to do so, but you are right that TMG's search and analysis tools don't work in SS.

There are products for PDAs that will load up a GEDCOM, to give you access to much of your data.

There are also a couple of products that import TMG files directly - look in the "Companion Products" section at the top of this forum.

Gidday

I've just stubbled across a couple of applications that apparently allow windows programs to be installed and run from a USB stick. One is called U# and the other is called PowerToGo.

Can anyone confirm that TMG will run this way? I don't have a laptop, and this would seem an ideal way to carry TMG when descending upon relatives! :-)}

TIA

Gidday

I've just stubbled across a couple of applications that apparently allow windows programs to be installed and run from a USB stick. One is called U# and the other is called PowerToGo.

Can anyone confirm that TMG will run this way? I don't have a laptop, and this would seem an ideal way to carry TMG when descending upon relatives! :-)}

TIA

By the way, that should be "U3", not "U#" (darn shift key).

Looks like either could be a useful tool even if TMG won't work on it. If someone has the time to play with either product, I'm sure the TMG community would love to hear about the results.

Pierce

SS works fine for me. It contains every piece of data in TMG for me anyway. I've uploaded SS data to my website, added a search engine, heh presto! All data searchable.

Can't see that SS would not work for you on a flash drive.

SS works fine for me. It contains every piece of data in TMG for me anyway. I've uploaded SS data to my website, added a search engine, heh presto! All data searchable.

Can't see that SS would not work for you on a flash drive.

While Second Site may provide all your data, it does not have all the features of TMG, such as the various lists. There is some advantage in getting access to your data using the tools that you are used to having when working with your database.

Pierce