gilcroome

Wishlist - burial as proxy for death

We can use the "Christening" tag as a proxy for birth as it is included in the Birth Group. It therefore seems logical (at least to me) that the "Burial" tag should be in the Death Group (and not in a separate Group) so that it would become a proxy for Death.

I have circumvented this problem by creating a tag called Death-burial in the Death Group which works fine until I want to record a Death and Burial; then I have to re-input the Burial as a separate tag.

I would like to see the "Burial" tag moved to the Death tag group.

Gil Croome, Ottawa

We can use the "Christening" tag as a proxy for birth as it is included in the Birth Group. It therefore seems logical (at least to me) that the "Burial" tag should be in the Death Group (and not in a separate Group) so that it would become a proxy for Death.

I have circumvented this problem by creating a tag called Death-burial in the Death Group which works fine until I want to record a Death and Burial; then I have to re-input the Burial as a separate tag.

Gil Croome, Ottawa

If you have the Burial tag in the same group as the Death tag then you could not print both on reports such as charts that are restricted to primary tags only. This is the reason it's in a separate group.

You can always create you own custom Burial tag in the Death group if you want it but you won't be able to print it on reports that are restricted to primary tags only if you have a death tag unless you make your custom burial tag primary in which case you won't be able to print the death tag...

Gil Croome, Ottawa

Gil

Whilst there may be exceptions, I take the view that most folk are buried not long after death, so if I do not have a death record I use the burial to set a Death Tag. I tend to set the death date with just the burial month and year (or the month before if burial is within the first week of a month). I cite the burial source for the Death Tag (which along with the incomplete date alerts me to the fact that it is an estimate).

Les

Gil

Whilst there may be exceptions, I take the view that most folk are buried not long after death, so if I do not have a death record I use the burial to set a Death Tag. I tend to set the death date with just the burial month and year (or the month before if burial is within the first week of a month). I cite the burial source for the Death Tag (which along with the incomplete date alerts me to the fact that it is an estimate).

Les

You have to be very lucky to have complete dates of evereything for most people. It seems that an incomplete date only signifies that the date is not complete. For example, many Social Security records only specify the month and year of death, others contain complete dates.

An almost totally reliable indicator, since thankfully, most people die before burial, is to put a b for before leading the actual burial date into the Death Tag. Perfectionists can add the comment Burial in the detail field, for instance.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot