gene-fiend

Wishlist-Research Task for multiple people

I'd love to be able to run a List of People with certain criteria, and have as an Option on the Secondary Output the ability to create a research task for all those individuals.

An example of this would be a microfilm that I order from the FHL (for the example, I'll say it is death notices from 1836-1922). Let's say I have 850 people who lived in this particular county that might or might not be on the film. I run a List of People for those who I know or suspect died between those years, and then want to make a research task for each one. This report gives me 280 people from the 850 who match it. As it stands now, I would have to make 1 task and then copy it 279 more times, remembering to change the principal every time, which is ridiculous.

Trying another route, making a Research Task tag doesn't work well either. If you run a list of all witnesses (all 280 of them), you can't pull the witness details into the report.

In some cases, I have a single microfilm that spans 1538-1903 with baptisms, banns, marriages and deaths and burials, almost 400 years worth. On top of that, I have well over 1500 people who could feasibly all be on the microfilm, several times for each event, as well as ones they witnessed.

I would just like to see an easier way to utilize the research log to it's fullest potential.

Siobhan

I agree there has to be a better way. I would also like to add the request to be able to see the research tasks attached to a person when they are a witness to the tag. This would be very helpful to me. I think if more effort were put into the design of the research log, more users would utilize it more fully.

I would also like to add the request to be able to see the research tasks attached to a person when they are a witness to the tag. I think if more effort were put into the design of the research log, more users would utilize it more fully.

YES, YES, YES!! :D

I'd love to utilize it more, but right now it really isn't feasible. And for you, I know that you also utilize various forms of workarounds (as do I) for basically the same reasons as I do; the possibility of more than one person on a microfilm.

Another idea in the same vein...Perhaps also having a choice on the research log when adding a task to select multiple persons, rather than just one for each task. That would be extremely helpful.

I use tasks attached to tasks, so if we can get the multiple add tags that will help me a great deal. But I will support any idea that makes using the research log faster. For me, the research log is for ideas for FUTURE research, not for recording what I have already done. Since my family is all in the same basic area, I might have 20 deeds on the same roll of film I need to copy. Making those research tasks individually is very time consuming.

Since my family is all in the same basic area, I might have 20 deeds on the same roll of film I need to copy.

Boy do I hear you! With my US line, half of them have been in the same three counties for about 200 years, and the other half have been in the same county for almost 400 years. As for the UK lines, they didn't move much either, all being in two counties for almost 500 years.

I just LOVE inputting tasks for any of those because if I order a microfilm, chances are that I will easily have at least 100 or more records on that single film. Hence my desire to be able to add multiple persons. <_<

I too would like to add multiple people to one task, but also the ability to add multiple repos, events and sources to one task as well. This is because one task (e.g., "find a marriage record for John Smith") could be found in several places, such as online at ancestry.com, in a marriage index in the Newberry Library, in a record in the Family History Library, or a book at the Allen Public Library. Now that GenSmarts in included in v6 (which was a wonderful addition, by the way) it lists more than one place/repo (as well as more than one source) to find a record, which makes a real need for adding more than one person, event, source, and repo to one task in TMG's Task list.

I also use GenSmarts, as well as, adding tasks manually. I would like to see all of the above enhancements. In addition I would like to be able to edit the GenSmart task before it is added (to remove all the "you should search this because . . ." stuff.