jandakermode

Second marriages - ordering

:unsure:

I have a large database of family members and am wanting to work out how I can put in order the marriages in cases where a person marries twice but the dates of the marriages are unknown. In a number of cases when I run a report (descendant indented chart) the marriages do not show in the correct order. There are also other cases where the date of second marriage is known but the first is not.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Julie.

To place marriages, or any tags for that matter, in a desired order when the actual dates are not known, enter a Sort Date that places it in the proper place relative to the other tags.

Sort dates are only available in Advanced data entry mode. To switch modes, go to Preferences > Program Options > Data Entry.

I try to add dates as best as possible using known information and some well-reasoned guesses.

For example, I might enter the first marriage date as BEF xxxx where xxxx is the birth date of the first child. It's an assumption, so I use a surety value of 0. Then entering the second marriage date as AFT yyyy, where yyyy is some other known or assumed information. Perhaps even just AFT xxxx, since you know the second marriage is after the first.

The net result is the same as what Terry suggested, but tries to document how you know which marriage (or other event) came first, second, etc.

I enter sort marriage dates for unknown marriage dates as 1 year before the birth of the first child. If this is unknown, then I use 20 years old for the first marriage. I will also adjust the sort date to meet the dates I do have