Helmut Leininger

Message Manager problems with TMG 6.09

Hi,

I have installed TMG v6.09 (in German) and wanted to try the new message manager functions. I ran into the following problems:

1) When I start the message manager (help/message manager) I get a small window, saying (translated from German "Kann keine Nachrichten empfangen, da keine Internetverbindung gefunden wurde."):

Cannot receive messages because no internet connection was found.

After that, the message manager window opens.

2) If I got to the Outgoing tab and klick on "Access the company website", my browser (Firefox) opens and tries to access this site:

http://\\www.whollygenes.com/

Of course, it fails.

My internet connection is XDSL, accessible any time (Check for updates works without problem).

Any help is welcome.

Regards

Helmut

Edited by hlein

A few of us have similar problems (in English). Bob Velke and the team are investigating. It's probably not an easy fix - early posts on TMG-L seemed to show very little pattern as to why it might be happening. I have TMG on two machines and Messenger works on one and not the other! One has Norton firewall and things (and doesn't work), the other has McAfee and does . . . both are always connected broadband.

Hi,

I have installed TMG v6.09 (in German) and wanted to try the new message manager functions. I ran into the following problems:

1) When I start the message manager (help/message manager) I get a small window, saying (translated from German "Kann keine Nachrichten empfangen, da keine Internetverbindung gefunden wurde."):

Cannot receive messages because no internet connection was found.

After that, the message manager window opens.

2) If I got to the Outgoing tab and klick on "Access the company website", my browser (Firefox) opens and tries to access this site:

http://\\www.whollygenes.com/

Of course, it fails.

My internet connection is XDSL, accessible any time (Check for updates works without problem).

Any help is welcome.

Regards

Helmut

Hi, Helmut,

1) when the message manager opens, do you get any messages?

2) Under File > Preferences > Options > Program Options > Other have you checked the option "Send URLs to the browser with backslashes"?

(PS: Tut mir leid, daß ich Deine Nachricht an die deutsche Gruppe erst jetzt gelesen habe...)

I don't know about Helmut, but in my case I don't get messages but I can access WG site (my "Send URLs to the browser with backslashes" is checked).

Martin,

if you check the main directory were TMG is installed do you see a file namend "MM.log" there? (You can open that file with a texteditor !!! - and it should show all incoming messages.)

Vera, I checked out the TMG directory on both of my machines. The one where the messenger works does have MM.log (and as you say I can read the messages). The other machine, where I messenger doesn't work, doesn't have a MM.log

Hi,

thanks to both of you for your answers. Unfortunately so far I'm unable to reproduce the issue.

The MM.log file is created on / as a result of the retrieval of the messages - so it won't be there if the retrieving process doesn't work.

Vera,

Bob V has emailed me about the issue and I've sent him a file he requested, so the team are clearly working on it. Thanks for your interest.

That's fine, Martin.

Thanks for the update. :)

I'm about to leave for my TMG User Group and would like to know what to tell everyone who isn't able to receive messages in their Message Manager about receiving the special 20% discount. I realize the problem is being worked on, however, this is a time-limited offer and shouldn't just be available to those of us who can get the Manager to work! :wacko:

Thanks for any tidbits I can pass along

B)

Joan

Joan,

Mine says June 30th so they have a while, but they still have to have a "private" code, so they'd probably need to contact tech support to use it. Also mine says you have to be a TMG Gold Edition user and they have to be purchased through the web store. The code is attached to your serial number, so you can't share it with others and it is only good once.

Edited by GenerationGoneBy