sydelfs

Personal document # for Souces

V 6.09

I am trying to accomplish a few things before getting my Second Site page up. I have decided to go back to splitting my sources, mainly to help with my SS Source output, & will add source exhibits. Since I will not be using CD's very often now, I am going to stop using "CREF" field for the document numbers that refer to my paper file.

That said, I was wondering if anyone else is doing the same thing- and if so- do you add your personal document number to your sources? How are you doing this? I would like to have them print at the end of my full foot/endnotes in [square brackets].

I can't use the "comment" field on the source definition supplemental tab since I do use it in various sources already, it would not always be available.

I would appreciate any input- Thanks, Sydney

One thought-

I could use the MSL abbreviation field to store doc numbers. That way I can see at a glance which sources have exhibits if I add them as I attach exhibits. Is there a way to increase the field length? This doesn't address the printing option.

Edited by sydelfs

I store mine in a source element called SOURCE NUMBER and an element called PERSONAL FILE FOLDER. I also add those to the end of each source output, so my reader can request a certain document such as Ghee-Deeds, #434.

I use the Repository Reference field > Attachments >Repository Link Entry Screen. If paper I enter my document number, if electronic the file name. Square brackets are used as source element delimiters, so you'd have to make the square brackets part of the data (enter them in the Reference field) if you want them to print. :unsure: I'm not sure if that would be good practice, perhaps parentheses would be a better choice. :unsure:

I store mine in a source element called SOURCE NUMBER and an element called PERSONAL FILE FOLDER.  I also add those to the end of each source output, so my reader can request a certain document such as Ghee-Deeds, #434.

That makes sense. Does your out put include the words "Source number" or Personal File Folder? How do yours print? Is there a way to suppress the numbers if needed? I doubt that's possible using a source element, but it's probably not necessary anyway.

Next question- is there a way to globally add the source element to each source type- or would it need to be done one by one?

Thank you, I appreciate your reply very much. You are VERY generous with your help both here & on the TMG list. It makes such a difference to have people like you & Terry & Lee - among others- always so willing to help those that are less experienced.

Sydney

I use the Repository Reference field > Attachments >Repository Link Entry Screen. If paper I enter my document number, if electronic the file name. Square brackets are used as source element delimiters, so you'd have to make the square brackets part of the data (enter them in the Reference field) if you want them to print. :unsure: I'm not sure if that would be good practice, perhaps parentheses would be a better choice. :unsure:

I don't think there is a way to print that field unless there has been a change in the last update. The repository reference field is a little too buried to be helpful for what I am looking for. That's probably good advice about the square brackets if I did go that way though- I'm still thinking about it.

Thankyou so much for your reply. It is very helpful to see how others are doing things!

Sydney

I don't think there is a way to print that field unless there has been a change in the last update.  The repository reference field is a little too buried to be helpful for what I am looking for. 

The repository reference field can be printed in source notes - with the [Repository Reference] element, which is not new. :)

But, as you say, I don't think it's a particually good place for a presonal reference number. For one thing, to use it you would have to attach a repostitory to every source.

There basically two ways to include a personal doc number. Which you should use depends on whether you have one doc number per source, or several.

If you have only one, it's easiest to put it in the Source Definition. That's what Teresa's suggesting - create a custom source element in a little used group. At the bottom of my article on Source Elements & Groups is a listing of the least-used groups.

If you assign multiple doc numbers to a TMG Source, you need to put the doc no. in each citation. The [CREF] source element and it's field on the Citation screen was created for just that use.

That makes sense.  Does your out put include the words "Source number" or Personal File Folder?  How do yours print?  Is there a way to suppress the numbers if needed?  I doubt that's possible using a source element, but it's probably not necessary anyway. 

Next question- is there a way to globally add the source element to each source type- or would it need to be done one by one? 

Thank you, I appreciate your reply very much.  You are VERY generous with your help both here & on the TMG list.  It makes such a difference to have people like you & Terry & Lee - among others- always so willing to help those that are less experienced.

Sydney

Mine just print Ghee-Deeds, #324.

Ghee-Deeds is the personal File Folder, and #324 is the source number. I just added the terms [PERSONAL FILE FOLDER], [sOURCE NUMBER] to the end of the source and yes, it has to be done on each source type that you want it to print for. But you can copy and paste it so it goes fairly fast.

Mine just print Ghee-Deeds, #324.

Ghee-Deeds is the personal File Folder, and #324 is the source number.  I just added the terms [PERSONAL FILE FOLDER], [sOURCE NUMBER] to the end of the source and yes, it has to be done on each source type that you want it to print for.  But you can copy and paste it so it goes fairly fast.

I use the [File Reference] source element for my filing system number. I have found that it is used in only a couple of Sources which are ones that I don't think I will ever be using (can't remember which they are). So far no problem. If I wanted to print it out, which I don't, I would just include that element in the proper Output Template...

I use the [File Reference] source element for my filing system number. I have found that it is used in only a couple of Sources which are ones that I don't think I will ever be using (can't remember which they are). So far no problem. If I wanted to print it out, which I don't, I would just include that element in the proper Output Template...

This didn't make sense to me until I realized you must mean the file reference on the CD screen.

Thankyou all again for your input!

Sydney

This didn't make sense to me until I realized you must mean the file reference on the CD screen.

Thankyou all again for your input!

Sydney

No, I meant the File Reference Source Element...click on a button next to a blank line in the Source Definition window and you will see a list of available source elements...scroll down to File Reference....

I do not used the file reference on the CD screen....

No, I meant the File Reference Source Element...click on a button next to a blank line in the Source Definition window and you will see a list of available source elements...scroll down to File Reference....

I do not used the file reference on the CD screen....

Oh duh... now I understand- you enter the number there- but don't include it in the output. For some reason I did not get that at all. Thank you for your patience- I appreciate your help!

Sydney :rolleyes:

I have a quick question about personal document numbers and that is "Is it possible to create a report that would list those numbers and what they are attached to?" I've tried different kinds of filters and my abilities aren't up to the task.

Thanks!

Terri Joos

I have a quick question about personal document numbers and that is "Is it possible to create a report that would list those numbers and what they are attached to?"

It depends on where you put the personal document numbers - there are a number of possible places to enter them, as described above. Tell us where you put them and we can help.

Thanks Terry,

We added a source element called "document number" on the main source definition page. If there's a better spot we can move them.

Terri