Just a comment that the change to the backup process in 6.09 doesn't suit this user.

I generally backup to an external hard drive, which for reasons I've never made time to figure out, changes itself from J:\ to i:\ seemingly at random.

Up to 6.08 I could set the drive in preferences to J: eg, and when I ran the back up with "generate name automatically" set, if the drive wasn't found, all I had to do was change the J to I or whatever, leaving the path the same.

With 6.09, if the drive is not available it now reverts to the c:\ and loses all the directory structure, so I have to renavigate thru all the darn directories to get it back to where I want. And to add insult to injury, even though I cancelled when I found this out, it was too late, it had already overwritten the path to c:\ on me.

Other than always leaving the external drive on, and therefore presumably unchanging in its drive mapping, does anyone have any suggestions to overcome this?

Including getting TMG to reverse this "helpful" change?

This change was done to overcome another probnlem with the backup path that caused a crash when the Drive letter was not found. Especially when you try to backup a project that has come from another machine that had other drive letters or you were backing up to a network drive that was not accessible.

I do not know what options the developers have to resolve the problem except adding yet another popup window to enable the user to select another drive letter. Reversing the "fix" returns the possiblility of the crash.

Ahh, thanks Robin. I understand why now, at least. I often forgot to turn my external drive on before starting the backup, and it never crashed when it couldn't find it for me, just nicely told me I was an idiot. All I had to do was untick the generate name automatically, and change the drive letter.

Oh well, I've reset my preferences to what my computer currently thinks the drive is.

Just a comment that the change to the backup process in 6.09 doesn't suit this user.

I generally backup to an external hard drive, which for reasons I've never made time to figure out, changes itself from J:\ to i:\ seemingly at random.

[snip]

In XP Pro, and maybe Home, you can fix drive letters using Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management, choose the drive, right-click > Change Drive Letter. I don't know how well it does make it stick with a removable drive, though.