mirror

Reports with Russian notes

Hi Everybody,

I am trying to get Russian fonts in TMG reports (Individual Detail report, Ancestor and Descendant Box Charts, ect). I can type Russian in TMG fields (memos and others) and TMG displays such fields correctly. However, when I generate reports the russian portion of the text appears to be broken - it is clearly displayed in the wrong font. I tried to change fonts when building the report with no luck. I cannot change the script of the font picked to Cyrillic. I may miss something here.

The question is how to get the russian words displayed correctly in the reports? I have English version of Windows XP with Russian language installed in Regional and language settings.

There is even broader question. Let's say, I would like to use portions of Hebrew on the same report. So the report will have english, russian and hebrew words on the same page. I am not sure whether this is possible at all though Unicode fonts was supposed to solve this problem. If this is not possible currently, are there any plans to implement it in TMG? I assume that somebody from TMG might read this so I am asking this question.

Thank you very much for your help. To finish the message on the optimistic note I would like to thank the Wholly Genes for the beautiful program. It is definitely great application that does a lot of useful things in a convenient way.

Thank you,

Igor

Edited by mirror

Hi Everybody,

I am trying to get Russian fonts in TMG reports (Individual Detail report, Ancestor and Descendant Box Charts, ect). I can type Russian in TMG fields (memos and others) and TMG displays such fields correctly. However, when I generate reports the russian portion of the text appears to be broken - it is clearly displayed in the wrong font. I tried to change fonts when building the report with no luck. I cannot change the script of the font picked to Cyrillic. I may miss something here.

The question is how to get the russian words displayed correctly in the reports? I have English version of Windows XP with Russian language installed in Regional and language settings.

There is even broader question. Let's say, I would like to use portions of Hebrew on the same report. So the report will have english, russian and hebrew words on the same page. I am not sure whether this is possible at all though Unicode fonts was supposed to solve this problem. If this is not possible currently, are there any plans to implement it in TMG? I assume that somebody from TMG might read this so I am asking this question.

Thank you very much for your help. To finish the message on the optimistic note I would like to thank the Wholly Genes for the beautiful program. It is definitely great application that does a lot of useful things in a convenient way.

Thank you,

Igor

It is possible to get marginally acceptable results in Hebrew, and presumably Cyrillic, by making changes in XP> Regional Settings>Advanced. Selecting only one of these languages at a time may permit printing reports in English/Hebrew or English/Russian from TMG. Also be aware of the crude single byte font ER Univers 1251 if all else fails in printing a Cyrillic report directly from TMG screen. Also be aware of potential right-to-left problems with Hebrew in TMG memo fields.

Presume you are aware of the existence of PAF 5.2.18.

It is possible to get marginally acceptable results in Hebrew, and presumably Cyrillic, by making changes in XP> Regional Settings>Advanced. Selecting only one of these languages at a time may permit printing reports in English/Hebrew or English/Russian from TMG. Also be aware of the crude single byte font ER Univers 1251 if all else fails in printing a Cyrillic report directly from TMG screen. Also be aware of potential right-to-left problems with Hebrew in TMG memo fields.

John,

Thank you for your reply. It answers many questions and provides good starting points for the further research. So far I found another font - Tahoma - that can print Russian in PDFs but still does not export it to Word / RTF. I do not know where this font came from. I think that I understand now how the program works with fonts though.

No, I did not know about PAF, thank you for the info.

Igor

I didn't know that TMG was now able to deal with Hebrew or Russian (even if marginally). Does this mean that it now has unicode capability? Can we get the full range of, for instance, Czech and Polish characters? Last I checked that wasn't possible.

Karla Huebner

I didn't know that TMG was now able to deal with Hebrew or Russian (even if marginally). Does this mean that it now has unicode capability? Can we get the full range of, for instance, Czech and Polish characters? Last I checked that wasn't possible.

Karla Huebner

Hi Karla,

The situation is still the same. Unicode is not supported due to the restrictions of the underlying database. I have the same problem with Czech characters.

Regards

Helmut

It is possible to get marginally acceptable results in Hebrew, and presumably Cyrillic, by making changes in XP> Regional Settings>Advanced. Selecting only one of these languages at a time may permit printing reports in English/Hebrew or English/Russian from TMG. ....... . . . . .

Although TMG may utilize "Unicode" and Wingdings in its user interface, and design its newer proprietary fonts in such a way that it puts characters in fields reserved for several languages, it only stores genealogy data in one, single, 256 character byte - as far as I know.

But the Windows Western single byte English/Latin code page (256 characters) serves most TMG users quite well. MSWord and other text editors default to English/Latin, even if they are Unicode capable, so "almost everything" works.

Additionally, MSWord shields most users from many other problems, and even remaps its obsolete proprietary specialty font, MS LineDraw, to the line drawing characters in the Unicode font, Courier New. OpenOffice.org Writer does not remap MSLinedraw, so this is a minor problem for Descendant Reports using those funny box-angle characters in that App.

But if we think of the changes we must make in Windows XP Regional Settings to work within Unicode capable Text Editors, such as MSWord 2000+ as "Regional Settings>Retarded" instead of "Regional Setting>Advanced", it makes more sense.

This forces MSWord and other programs to use only a single byte subset of the selected Unicode Font in the selected language.

Disclaimer: Subject to correction by those who really understand such things, and automatic deletion in a few months at the latest.

John M.

With all due respect to Bob and his development team, and also being well aware that the single versus double byte font issue is industry-wide, I have to say that I consider lack of ability to show the full range of the Roman alphabet a significant problem in a genealogy program. Languages that are normally written in Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arabic, and other alphabets at least tend to have standard transcriptions into the Roman alphabet. However, if we write languages such as Czech, Polish, Hungarian, and Turkish without the correct marks, we run the risk of being misunderstood (perhaps seriously so).

While all of my known ancestry fits within the western European character set, my travels and professional research do not. If I had Czech ancestors rather than Czech academic interests, I would really be tearing my hair out about this. And as my German ancestors came from Posen, I'm sure sooner or later I'll find Polish ancestors.

Karla

Although TMG may utilize "Unicode" and Wingdings in its user interface, and design its newer proprietary fonts in such a way that it puts characters in fields reserved for several languages, it only stores genealogy data in one, single, 256 character byte - as far as I know.

But the Windows Western single byte English/Latin code page (256 characters) serves most TMG users quite well. MSWord and other text editors default to English/Latin, even if they are Unicode capable, so "almost everything" works.

Additionally, MSWord shields most users from many other problems, and even remaps its obsolete proprietary specialty font, MS LineDraw, to the line drawing characters in the Unicode font, Courier New. OpenOffice.org Writer does not remap MSLinedraw, so this is a minor problem for Descendant Reports using those funny box-angle characters in that App.

But if we think of the changes we must make in Windows XP Regional Settings to work within Unicode capable Text Editors, such as MSWord 2000+ as "Regional Settings>Retarded" instead of "Regional Setting>Advanced", it makes more sense.

This forces MSWord and other programs to use only a single byte subset of the selected Unicode Font in the selected language.

Disclaimer: Subject to correction by those who really understand such things, and automatic deletion in a few months at the latest.

John M.

With all due respect to Bob and his development team, and also being well aware that the single versus double byte font issue is industry-wide, I have to say that I consider lack of ability to show the full range of the Roman alphabet a significant problem in a genealogy program. Languages that are normally written in Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arabic, and other alphabets at least tend to have standard transcriptions into the Roman alphabet. However, if we write languages such as Czech, Polish, Hungarian, and Turkish without the correct marks, we run the risk of being misunderstood (perhaps seriously so).

Karla,

Just to put this issue in perspective - it goes back a long way! all the way back to 1998.

Here is a transcript of part of a message that I put on the TMG_UK list of the time:

Mixed-language input (eg. Japanese and English in the same text field) can

only be implemented sensibly when the whole string storage of TMG is

UNICODE based (16-bit characters) as is already in Visual Foxpro 5.0 (fully

32-bit).

Strictly, Microsoft has to shoulder most of the blame for the delay. It has been extremely tardy in implementing Unicode string storage in VFP. If you want to understand take a look at the wish list for VFP10 at

http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~VFPVersion10WishList

Karla,

Just to put this issue in perspective - it goes back a long way! all the way back to 1998.

Here is a transcript of part of a message that I put on the TMG_UK list of the time:

Strictly, Microsoft has to shoulder most of the blame for the delay. It has been extremely tardy in implementing Unicode string storage in VFP. If you want to understand take a look at the wish list for VFP10 at

http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~VFPVersion10WishList

Hi,

a wishlist shows the user desires. But has Microsoft already agreed the implementation (and given a date) ?

Regards

Helmut