mroddyn3

Timeline tag - death of spouse, child, parent

Hi,

When I look at the timeline for a person, I would really like the timeline to automatically show the death if a person's child, spouse or parent. I think it is helpful to see that a person's mother died when they were 12, or that a person's wife died when they were 40 and they lived to be 80 and didn't remarry.

Is there any way to automatically get the program to put in these tags, or is the only way to make it work is to put a spouse, parent or child as a witness to the death event of someone else?

Thanks for your help.

Mary

Hi,

When I look at the timeline for a person, I would really like the timeline to automatically show the death if a person's child, spouse or parent. I think it is helpful to see that a person's mother died when they were 12, or that a person's wife died when they were 40 and they lived to be 80 and didn't remarry.

Is there any way to automatically get the program to put in these tags, or is the only way to make it work is to put a spouse, parent or child as a witness to the death event of someone else?

Thanks for your help.

Mary

I use roles for just this purpose. In the Death tag, my primary role is "Deceased" and the sentence is: [:CR:][:TAB:][RG:Deceased] died <[D]> < in [L]> <[A]> <, leaving [RG:Widow] a widow.> -- or [:CR:][:TAB:][RG:Deceased] died <[D]> < i n [L]> <[A]> <, leaving [RG:Widower] a widower.>

I have 3 other roles: Widow, Widower and Quaker. I put the living spouse in as witness to the death, using widow, or widower.

The Quaker is so that I can use the proper dating procedure:

[:CR:][:TAB:][RG:Quaker] died <[M1]>< in [L]> <[A]> <, leaving [RG:Widow] a widow.>

M1 being the Quaker date (ie: 3.1m.1720) (I use the normal date in it's usual place but it doesn't print.)

I hadn't thought of the children but you have a very good point. It would be easy to add a role of "orphan" and add them to the witnesses.

Carol Collins

I have roles called:

Widow

Widower

Death of Father

Death of Mother

Death of M-Grandfather

Death of M-Grandmother

Death of P-Grandfather

Death of P-Grandmother

etc.

Death of Daughter

Death of Son

This way I can see in a person's PV when a relative died. Often times this helps when working with probate records and it makes me aware that a person may have been in grief when making a decision. This will explain why they made that decison, like moving 500 miles away from family.

Another option is a custom tag. For persons of special interest, particularly when the death was likely to impact later events, I attach a tag 'FamilyDeath' with the circumstances of the death in the memo.

Virginia

I put the spouse and children in the death tag as witnesses.

Judy