michelec

Comparing individuals in datasets/projects

Hi Everyone!

Someone sent me a GEDCOM that I'd like to compare some individuals with what I have in my dataset. She has information for some people and I have information for other people.

I'd like to compare what we each have without affecting each dataset. I imported the GEDCOM into a separate Project. Do I have to put it into my Project?

I did put another file into my project once, and I didn't like the way it then showed all the ID numbers with colons, i.e. 1:2, 2:2, etc.

What's the best way to compare the people in each dataset?

Thanks!

Michele

Hi Everyone!

Someone sent me a GEDCOM that I'd like to compare some individuals with what I have in my dataset. She has information for some people and I have information for other people.

I'd like to compare what we each have without affecting each dataset. I imported the GEDCOM into a separate Project. Do I have to put it into my Project?

I did put another file into my project once, and I didn't like the way it then showed all the ID numbers with colons, i.e. 1:2, 2:2, etc.

What's the best way to compare the people in each dataset?

Thanks!

Michele

Open a second instance of TMG to the second project. Then use a layout that places one instance of TMG with one project on the left side of the screen and a layout for the second instance of TMG with the other project open on the right side of the screen.

Open a second instance of TMG to the second project. Then use a layout that places one instance of TMG with one project on the left side of the screen and a layout for the second instance of TMG with the other project open on the right side of the screen.

I need to compare two Data Sets for the latest and most complete information. The side-by-side method is tedious when there a 1000 individuals in each Data Set. Is there some way to Merge/Match/Compare two Data Sets and have the differences highlighted like the Merge Two People screen with the same person in each Data set and a way to combine the data to one Data Set?

Happy31

You might check out GenMatcher from Mudcreeksoftware. It is quite cheap and I find it really useful for comparing files.

Edited by nbradley

You might check out GenMatcher from Mudcreeksoftware. It is quite cheap and I find it really useful for comparing files.

Thanke for the suggestion. I installed GenMatcher and it does a good job comparing files and shows the differences in data between them for a given individual. But you are still left with the manual corrections.

Can TMG view two files in a split screen and drag/drop data between them?

No, drag and drop does not work between Projects and can be tricky between datasets (Terry in the tutorial on his website strongly recommends "copy" not "move" and I agree). I just finished doing a similar compilation between my Project and a GEDCOM received. The original GEDCOM had over 4000 people, but most were not relevant, so I set a flag "EXPORT" and filtered down to the people that were of interest (all related to a single progenitor by blood or marriage). There were just under 500 people in the reduced GEDCOM that included both duplicates to my Project and new people that I wanted to import. Eventually I merged about 170 of them into my Project. I don't think you can get away from going through each person, but here are the steps I took (for what it is worth). Step 6 might help you.

1. Imported the GEDCOM into a stand-alone TMG Project.

2. Created an EXPORT flag (?, N, Y) default to "?".

3. Ran a LOP report for descendants of the key person, adding spouses, children and changing their flag to "Y". Ran again for everyone with flag "Y" and added one generation of ancestor and spouses and children (to get in-laws, spousal spouses, and step-children), changing those flags to "Y". Ran another LOP to test for the flag = Y and exported them to a new project.

4. Ran a journal report to get a record of sources and of the "original" data as it came.

5. Deleted the sources and respositories and set the provider of the GEDCOM as the universal source to everything. Went through the Master Place List and set all the places to the format I use for counties and states. Cleaned up stray data bits that the GEDCOM put into place slots that were memo items.

6. HERE IS THE USEFUL STEP: I ran a Descendant Indented Chart report based on the same progenitor for both my Project and for the GEDCOM Project. This gave me an easy way to lay the two groups of people side by side; doesn't include step-children or in-laws or spousal spouses, but it gave me a roadmap to the scope of the merge process.

7. I highlighted common people in pink. This let me see the amount of overlap.

8. I set a flag in the GEDCOM Project called DUPLICATE and set an accent scheme to show those people in orange. When I eventually merged the GEDCOM Project with my Project, this flag came with and I could easily see which people still needed to be dealt with in the combined project.

9. I have two monitors, so opened two instances of TMG, one with each file. I went through each duplicate person in both files, checking them off my printed list and either left them to be merged or deleted one from one project. In the end I only had about 40 people common to the two Project.

10. I merged the Projects and then the datasets and then merged the remaining duplicates.

Took me four days.

Not fun, though I believe that the process was way faster than having to enter everything from a printed report from the original GEDCOM.

Dave Ball

Compiler of The New England Ball Project