Elizabeth Churchett

Restore *only* report definitions from a backup?

Hello,

I have not been able to use TMG for a while (my daughter, who just turned two, requires much attention--if left to her own devices, she'd either crawl up on the rooftop or take everything out of the refrigerator), but I have been keeping up with the upgrades once the list feels comfortable with them.

I am now up to date with v6.09, but to my dismay I find that at some point along the way, all of my custom report definitions have disappeared.

This is not the fault of TMG--I believe they disappeared during a time last year when I had some serious problems on my Windows box or during a disk defrag during the same time.

What I would like to know is if I could get them back from a backup without overwriting my project files? I have added a note here or there so wouldn't want my data to be overwritten by restoring from a backup, but I would love to get back just the report definitions.

Is this possible? For example, would choosing "Restore Customizations" bring the report definitions back w/o changing my data?

Many thanks,

Elizabeth Churchett

Hello,

I have not been able to use TMG for a while (my daughter, who just turned two, requires much attention--if left to her own devices, she'd either crawl up on the rooftop or take everything out of the refrigerator), but I have been keeping up with the upgrades once the list feels comfortable with them.

I am now up to date with v6.09, but to my dismay I find that at some point along the way, all of my custom report definitions have disappeared.

This is not the fault of TMG--I believe they disappeared during a time last year when I had some serious problems on my Windows box or during a disk defrag during the same time.

What I would like to know is if I could get them back from a backup without overwriting my project files? I have added a note here or there so wouldn't want my data to be overwritten by restoring from a backup, but I would love to get back just the report definitions.

Is this possible? For example, would choosing "Restore Customizations" bring the report definitions back w/o changing my data?

Many thanks,

Elizabeth Churchett

Why don't you restore your backup file to a new project - then copy the report files (*.rpt) to where you want them - then delete the new project.

Neil

Neil,

Thanks for the reply, and I guess that would probably do exactly what I needed. I am not comfortable with the restore process because I don't have a full understanding of what happens--hence my reluctance, as I don't want to overwrite something that I don't even know I'm overwriting. (Normally I have no fear about messing around with my computer. Just not my genealogy database!)

Luckily, after posting here I continued poking around on my box and found a utility in Windows XP that I hadn't seen before. It rebooted my computer and then spent a great deal of time messing around with my drive before bringing Windows back up again. Many bad clusters were isolated, and now not only does everything happen & respond at least ten times faster than before, but also all my report definitions came back.

The other reason I posted the question is that I did want to know if one had to reinstall an entire project to get just a few files out. But your response certainly would have addressed my issue. Thanks again.

--Elizabeth

Neil,

Thanks for the reply, and I guess that would probably do exactly what I needed. I am not comfortable with the restore process because I don't have a full understanding of what happens--hence my reluctance, as I don't want to overwrite something that I don't even know I'm overwriting. (Normally I have no fear about messing around with my computer. Just not my genealogy database!)

Luckily, after posting here I continued poking around on my box and found a utility in Windows XP that I hadn't seen before. It rebooted my computer and then spent a great deal of time messing around with my drive before bringing Windows back up again. Many bad clusters were isolated, and now not only does everything happen & respond at least ten times faster than before, but also all my report definitions came back.

The other reason I posted the question is that I did want to know if one had to reinstall an entire project to get just a few files out. But your response certainly would have addressed my issue. Thanks again.

--Elizabeth

Hi,

Alternatively you could open the backup (.sqz file) with winzip or similar and extract the wanted files (.rpt, maybe .xpt ...)1

Regards

Helmut