R L McIlvain

Program shuts down

I have version 6.09, running on Windows XP. Lately, my program will shut down all by itself while I am entering or editing info. This has happened 3 times. When I re-open, there doesn't seem to be any data lost, but it is disconcerting, and I can't help but wonder if it will get worse.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix?

I upgraded to 6.09 running on XP Home and my program is locking while trying to enter or view citations and tags.

The first Error Box says:

Open CurPrinter: Error initializing the printer.

The 2nd Error Box repeats 6 times:

CreateOneFont(B): Error creating font.

After closing the error messages, my entry screen will appear to make entries, but shortly the program locks up.

I have to use Ctrl + Alt + Delete to shut the program down. So far I don't believe I've lost data, but this is disconcerting to say the least!

This did not happen before the upgrade.

HELP!!!!!!!

PS - My printer is a HP Photosmart 2570 series and being used wirelessly through Bluetooth - not an issue before the upgrade

I upgraded to 6.09 running on XP Home and my program is locking while trying to enter or view citations and tags.

The first Error Box says:

Open CurPrinter: Error initializing the printer.

The 2nd Error Box repeats 6 times:

CreateOneFont(B): Error creating font.

After closing the error messages, my entry screen will appear to make entries, but shortly the program locks up.

I have to use Ctrl + Alt + Delete to shut the program down. So far I don't believe I've lost data, but this is disconcerting to say the least!

This did not happen before the upgrade.

HELP!!!!!!!

PS - My printer is a HP Photosmart 2570 series and being used wirelessly through Bluetooth - not an issue before the upgrade

Are the error messages from TMG or from Windows or the printer? TMG error messages are saved in Error.txt (in your main TMG folder).

or in

C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log  (if an older computer might be in C:\Windows\system\)

In both cases, the newest messages are at the bottom of the list.

You might try selecting that printer specifically instead of using the Windows Default (see TMG > File > Printer setup). While you are in that screen, click on 'Install the PDF printer' to make sure that printer driver is also installed.

Virginia

I have version 6.09, running on Windows XP. Lately, my program will shut down all by itself while I am entering or editing info. This has happened 3 times. When I re-open, there doesn't seem to be any data lost, but it is disconcerting, and I can't help but wonder if it will get worse.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix?

This sounds like an old, rather uncommon, problem referred to as 'abrupt exit'. See the thread at:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...;hl=abrupt+exit

As far as I know, noone has been able to consistently reproduce the problem so it can be tracked down and fixed. Coincidentally I had it happen half a dozen times yesterday, apparently related to clicking in the focus group window while it was partially overlaid by the details window - but I could not reproduce the steps to make it happen and it cleared up by itself.

If you post the relevant error message (check the time stamp) in the error log referenced in the message above it may help the developers.

Virginia

This sounds like an old, rather uncommon, problem referred to as 'abrupt exit'. See the thread at:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...;hl=abrupt+exit

As far as I know, noone has been able to consistently reproduce the problem so it can be tracked down and fixed. Coincidentally I had it happen half a dozen times yesterday, apparently related to clicking in the focus group window while it was partially overlaid by the details window - but I could not reproduce the steps to make it happen and it cleared up by itself.

If you post the relevant error message (check the time stamp) in the error log referenced in the message above it may help the developers.

Virginia

Hi!

I have also seen that my TMG has been shut down and often combined with mouse clik and scrolling with the mouse wheel. It seem that the problem is about the mouse.

Erling

There is an issue with XP, Messenger and IE7 doing that same thing. I have experienced the shut down of TMG several times at home. Always when IE7 is opened. I uninstalled Messenger, that helped a little. You might check the event viewer in Administrative Tools of XP to see if an event or security issue was logged at the same time as the shut down. In my situation, IE7 was open.

HF

There is an issue with XP, Messenger and IE7 doing that same thing. I have experienced the shut down of TMG several times at home. Always when IE7 is opened. I uninstalled Messenger, that helped a little. You might check the event viewer in Administrative Tools of XP to see if an event or security issue was logged at the same time as the shut down. In my situation, IE7 was open.

HF

Hi!

I'm using V6.12 and IE7, but when it come to IE, this program was updatet last week and before that I had IE6. But the problem with the shut down is still the same. I have noticed that the shut down alway come with an mouse click or scrolling with the mouse and for the record IE is almost always open because I am working with it.

Erling

I've seen these "abrupt exits" a number of times, most commonly after a period of entering census data accessed on IE. In my recent experience, it happens when switching from IE to TMG by clicking on an exposed part of the TMG screen.

So far as I can tell, it doesn't matter what part of the TMG screen I click on. Recently I've been using a layout that leaves the bottom of the tag box exposed while I view the census on IE. So I'm clicking on the bottom of the tag box to bring focus back to TMG, and occasionally that causes an abrupt exit. But at other times I've seen the same issue when I clicked on the children or siblings windows.

I'm not convinced that IE has any involvement. Rather, I think that just happens to be the other application I'm most commonly switching back and forth with. On rare occasions I've seen the same thing when switching from another application. It's my suspicion that switching from any other application to TMG by clicking on a part of the TMG screen somehow occasionally causes the exits.

While annoying, I've found them to be pretty rare occurences, and I've never found any data loss from them.