Loading TMG on Windows Vista results in two messages on my system.

1. TList7 not designed for VISTA. Get more recent application from Bennet-Tec Information Systems, Inc.

516-997-5596 support_tlist@bennet-tec.com www.bennet-tec.com

2. open C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office\Office 11\1033\setup.cfm

look for "office Source Engine" for info to resolve. sys error - 2147023838

In the first case it would seem that this is an integral module to TMG and would be resolved by Wholly Genes?

In the second case, the OSE could not be restarted.

Will either of these items cause my data to be in jeapordy? What features will be affected?

This is from my personal experience and is not an official Wholly Genes response...

TMG6 is not compatible with Windows Vista Beta 2 and, as such, is not supported under this beta operating system. There are a variety of issues beyond those that you have seen. Hopefully, by the time that WinVista is released or soon thereafter, there will be a version of TMG completely compatible with the release version of WinVista.

I haven't seen any data issues and, at this point, have no expectations of finding any. There are just a number of things that you can't do at this point.

1. TList7 not designed for VISTA. Get more recent application from Bennet-Tec Information Systems, Inc.

516-997-5596 support_tlist@bennet-tec.com www.bennet-tec.com

The TList7 control will need to be updated to a WinVista-compatible version (assuming that such a version is even available).

2. open C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office\Office 11\1033\setup.cfm

look for "office Source Engine" for info to resolve. sys error - 2147023838

I haven't seen this. I'm testing WinVista with the Microsoft Office 2007 Beta 2. I haven't been successful in outputting a report to Word, RTF or Wordperfect. This appears to be an issue with the WinVista 16-bit virtual machine (NTVDM.EXE).

You can't output a report to PDF. The Amyuni PDF driver is not compatible with WinVista and will need to be updated (again assuming a compatible driver is available).

The help files in the Windows Help format are not compatible with WinVista so the help system needs complete revision.

There are some issues with data files being located in the Program Files TMG program folder; however, WinVista takes care of most of this issue with virtualization of the data files.

Check for an Update doesn't work. (from Laura Wise) [This is a permissions issue like the UPD issue. jeb]

And I've seen a variety of smaller issues so far but nothing that prevents data entry.

Some of the issues above are non-trivial, will take considerable effort to implement, and some depend on 3rd party controls, drivers, and libraries being updated to WinVista compatibility.

To summarize things...

Yes. You can install and run TMG v6.09.000 under WinVista Beta 2.

The first time that you run Tmg.exe after a full or update install, you need to browse to the program folder, right-click on Tmg.exe and select 'Run as administrator' in order for the update patches to be applied. You also need to right-click on Tmg.exe and select 'Run as Administrator' if you wish to use 'Check for an Update.' These are special cases that require elevated permissions. Normally, TMG can be run as a Standard User.

You will end up with an installation having no help and some report file output choices that don't work.

Microsoft plans to release a user-downloadable help file viewer that will provide a work-around for the Help file issue.

I have seen the NTVDM.EXE issue with other applications besides TMG's word processor report output and have reported the issue to MS each time that I've encountered it.

And as soon as a PDF printer driver that supports WinVista is released, there will be a work-around for the PDF output issue.

Update: The NTVDM.EXE issue is an incompatibility between Avast anti-virus (currently running v4.7.844) and the WinVista 16-bit subsystem. Uninstall Avast and the error goes away and you can generate the word processor reports. Alwil is aware of the issue and is working on it with Microsoft. Put another way... it's not a TMG issue.

Second Site...

There are various minor issues with Second Site v1.9 build 9 under WinVista.

A request...

Adding any additional issues encountered trying to run the latest version of TMG6 under WinVista (Beta 2 or later) to this topic would be a help.

Edited by Jim Byram

Here's another:

With TMG 6.10 and Vista RC2 (running in Parallels build 1922 on OSX.4.8 on a MacBook Pro, just to make things more interesting), the unlock routine fails. I was able to successfully unlock under W2K (running in Virtual PC V6 under OSX4.8 on a G5 tower), so it isn't a serial number issue.

What's really interesting is that the V5.11 unlock code worked fine in Vista.

With TMG 6.10 and Vista RC2 (running in Parallels build 1922 on OSX.4.8 on a MacBook Pro, just to make things more interesting), the unlock routine fails. I was able to successfully unlock under W2K (running in Virtual PC V6 under OSX4.8 on a G5 tower), so it isn't a serial number issue.

I haven't seen that and just retested the v6.10 installation process but it sounds like a permissions issue. See my note above that you need to do the first run of TMG after installation as administrator. If fact, with the current WinVista builds, you need to set the TMG shortcut to run as administrator on the Compatibility tab and run TMG as administrator all the time.

I haven't seen that and just retested the v6.10 installation process but it sounds like a permissions issue. See my note above that you need to do the first run of TMG after installation as administrator. If fact, with the current WinVista builds, you need to set the TMG shortcut to run as administrator on the Compatibility tab and run TMG as administrator all the time.

Hmm. I tried running as admin and still got the "Registration data is invalid" dialog box. The new serial number showed up on the splash screen, though.

I tried a couple of other things, too (running under XP compatability mode and setting the privs for tmg.exe for both Administrator and me to "Full Control"). No joy.

So I tried uninstalling, and for good measure scrubbed the registry, then reinstalled (I'm using the from-scratch tmgsetupv6.exe). No change.

UPDATE: I finally got it, after another fruitless reinstall.

I had to type in the serial number instead of pasting it.

The problem is/was that this is on a Mac, using the Parallels VM. The email is naturally a Mac program, and I was copying and pasting the serial number from the email. There must be an encoding issue between the two (IIRC, Mac OSX uses UTF32 and MS-Win uses UTF16, for what that's worth), and the pasted result, although it displayed correctly, wasn't the correct value for the hashing function.

Edited by jralls

...I had to type in the serial number instead of pasting it.

I've seen this in another situation in XP; to get a remote computer linked to a Netlink wireless router in the secure mode, the user had to type in the access code rather than paste it from the CD I provided.

Dick

Further to Jim's notes

If anyone's interested. My company subscribes to Microsoft's Action Pack, that gives us licenses of the latest MS releases.

We just received our quarterly update with Office 07 full release and Windows Vista Business full release

I built a Hard Drive image with both installed, then installed TMG 6.12 with no real problems.

The install went well, and I was able to create Word Document reports.

You have to install as an Administrator, set the shortcut to run as Admin in the Privilege section, and use the 'Allow - I trust this program' when you start it (each time)

Only problem was lack of Help facility.

MS had promised that a legacy WinHelp reader would be ready when Vista was released, but I couldn't find it on the MS support site.

A quick Google on the subject revealed one report that it would be end of February before it's released.

Still, I can use (if I need to) the PDF download of the manual.

Neil

UK

Edited by Neil Grantham

You have to install as an Administrator, set the shortcut to run as Admin in the Privilege section, and use the 'Allow - I trust this program' when you start it (each time)

Wishlist:

I hope Whollygenes will be able to modify TMG so that it does not require Admin authority. (Or do we have to wait for Microsoft to enhance FoxPro again?) A "regular" user is less likely to cause problems with the system if they are not sure what they are doing.

Also, if you have several different users wanting to work on the same database (at different times), your TMG data base should probably not be stored under one user's "username", although that may not be a problem as long as you are forced to run as Admin.

Pierce

Having to run as Administrator is related to installing under the Program Files tree. A future release of TMG should remove all data from the program folder to user space. However there are other issues and I'm not sure how they can be resolved yet.

You can always install out of the Program Files tree and then you will not have to run as Administrator. For example, I have an installation in D:\TMG that runs with no permissions issues. This is a simple work-around for the WinVista permissions issues.

I've been watching for the WinHelp viewer as well. A HTML version of the help file is being worked on and that will be WinVista-compatible but it will be a while before that is completed.

Update: The WinHelp viewer is still being tested and, hopefully, should be released before the end of February.

Edited by Jim Byram

Hi Jim,

I am going to ask a rather obvious question just to make sure I am covered....

TMG v6.12 cannot print word processor reports under Windows Vista x64 according to the document you prepared.

However, I will be able to send reports out as PDF files (with the PDF software included in TMG) and print them that way, correct?

Thanks,

Earl

TMG v6.12 cannot print word processor reports under Windows Vista x64 according to the document you prepared.

However, I will be able to send reports out as PDF files (with the PDF software included in TMG) and print them that way, correct?

Yes. The PDF printer driver was updated to a WinVista-compatible version for TMG v6.12.

Note that the WinVista document was updated yesterday adding a couple of work-arounds.

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg6andwinvista.pdf

Microsoft has released a WinHelp update for Windows Vista (KB917607). This update will replace winhlp32.exe and will allow the help files used by TMG v6.12 to work under WinVista.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Be sure to select the correct WinHelp update version (x86 or x64) to download.

To clarify...

The x86 version is for 32-bit WinVista.

The x64 version is for 64-bit WinVista.

Edited by Jim Byram