GenerationGoneBy

Wishlist-ACCENTING TAGS

In the MASTER TAG TYPE LIST, each tag would have a radio button similar to the one in ACCENTS, where you could select a color for the background of the display for the tag label in the PV and the color of the font for both principals and witnesses. A person would be able to select that the font and background be the same for Principals and witnesses, or they could select different colors based on personal preference.

Once a color for the font and background was selected, the PV would immediately change the TAG TYPE LABEL on the Person View to those colors. The rest of the tag output would continue to use the colors set up in PREFERENCES, unless they were set based on the current accent scheme for people, which would not change in any way. The accenting for tags would be a display option, not something that could be filtered on or set by a flag. Each tag would have to be set individually by the user to change colors at all.

As I see it, if you do NOTHING, then TMG would use the colors based on how you selected colors in PREFERENCES. If you opened the MASTER TAG TYPE list, and selected a tag, say Marriage, and made the background Blue with white font for both principals and witnesses and closed the MASTER TAG TYPE list, then the PV of the person who was open would immediately have all marriage tags with the label field only turn blue with a white font. Then lets say you decided that marriages needed to be green because your family was from Ireland and you liked Green better than blue. You would repeat the whole thing, changing the Blue to Green and when you closed the MTTL, the PV would then show marriages in a green background with a white font.

This would allow a user to make certain tag types stand out more to the eye in the list of tags in a Person View. Some users would only use it for marriages, while others might use it for census data, or for deeds, or for tags where data is not conclusive. THe users would vary as much as the users who would use it.

Would like to know what others think of the idea and if it is even feasible to be added to TMG 7.0?

I think the option would be beneficial for me in the area of witnesses. I have a number of people that it seems like all they did was witness things and their entries just blend together when I see them. I would especially like the feature on census entries. I don't seem to have as big a problem with the principals, but the addition of an accent type feature would help there too.

Yes, that would be the beauty of what I am proposing. You would be able to highlight both Principals and witnesses, just principals, or just witnesses, based on your research needs.

And when those needs changed, it would be fairly easy to change the display.

Teresa, I agree this would be useful.

Your description seems well thought out and clear to me - just one small point...

Each tag would have to be set individually by the user to change colors at all.

Everywere else you were clear this option applies to Tag Types, which I assume is what you meant here too?

I especially like the idea of being able to easily turn this feature off and on. It will make it easier to find tag types one is editing on a busy PV. If I am checking marriages, for instance, being able to highlight them all by changing the background will make them much easier to find - and a quick way to do so.

I especially like the idea of being able to easily turn this feature off and on. It will make it easier to find tag types one is editing on a busy PV. If I am checking marriages, for instance, being able to highlight them all by changing the background will make them much easier to find - and a quick way to do so.

In a case like that - checking marriages - you can use the 'filter for tags of this type' on the right click menu and see only the marriage tags in the PV's. I use that a lot for Censuses.

Virginia