fnfship

Create and use tag list in other language?

Hi,

I have some questions about the use of tag list in another language. I have set TMG to Danish language, and menus are shown in Danish, but the tag list is still in English:

- How do I create my own tag list, and save it for future use?

- When starting a new project. How do I use the tag list I have created?

- When importing a GEDCOM file from an other program. How do I use my tag list?

- And how do I change the tags from English to Danish within an existing project?

Thanks

Finn Frederiksen

Hi,

I have some questions about the use of tag list in another language. I have set TMG to Danish language, and menus are shown in Danish, but the tag list is still in English:

- And how do I change the tags from English to Danish within an existing project?

Thanks

Finn Frederiksen

Hi, Finn,

first I would like to point you to Terry Reigel's TMG Tips pages because not long ago he published a really great series of articles dealing with all kind of different issues a user might come across while using another language than the standard English (US).

Terry's homepage is here: http://tmg.reigelridge.com/index.htm

The introduction page for his language articles can be found here: http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Language-overview.htm

You will no doubt find the answers to all of your questions on his sites - much better explained than I can do. :)

Questions 1 to 3 are covered in his article "Selecting and Editing Languages" ( http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Language-editing.htm )

Once you have created your custom language simply run TMG using it. That will provide your preferred "Tag List", be used for a new project and also when importing a GEDCOM file. ;)

Question 4

Go to Tools > Master Tag Type List > highlight the tag on the left you want to edit > click the Edit button.

On Tag Type Definition screen > open the pull-down menu for Languages > select Danish (these two last steps are only necessary if you haven't already set TMG's interface language to Danish).

Then on the "General" tab type in your preferred Label for that tag and so on. On the Roles and Sentences tab you may also customize the sentence structure used of this tag.

(Of course unnecessary to say but please pay attention and make sure that you only edit the language "Danish". :ph34r: )

I'd of course second Vera's suggestion to read my language articles. :D

You don't actually save a new list; rather you supply Labels in your langauge for each tag type you want to use. In a newly generated project TMG now has those labels for the standard tag types for several languages, but not in Danish.

You use the "Translate" function, as described in the articles Vera points to, to copy them from your first project to others.

After the import, use the "Translate" function to copy them from another project.