Trillemus

Managing the same data on two computers?

For many years I have been using TMG on a desktop computer. Now I have got a laptop, which I intend to use when travelling and visiting the archives.

Which method is the easiest/best to keep the data synchronized? My OS is Windowx XP Home Edition and I do not use the two computers at the same time.

/Kurt

The traditional way to do this is to:

Before leaving:

1. Make a backup from your desktop

2. Copy the backup to the laptop (by local network, floppy disk, or CD)

3. Restore the backup on the laptop

4. Make sure to make no more entries on the desktop until your return.

Upon return, if you have made any entries in the data, reverse the above process to restore a backup from the laptop to the desktop.

More recently some users have reported good results by moving the working copy of their project to a "thumb drive" - which plugs into the USB port of your computer. Then, you simply remove that drive from the desk top and use it on the laptop while away. Advantages - simpler; less chance of entering data on the "wrong" copy. Disadvantages - you have the thumb drive sticking out of your laptop, and it's little and easy to loose (be sure to have backups someplace else).

You might want to try something like Good Sync (http://www.goodsync.com/) especially if you have other files that you would like to keep in sync. It's free for non-commercial use.

You can also use it to set up an automated sync between the computers and a thumb drive or a sync between the computers. Once set up it's just a couple of clicks to sync.

Obviously Terry's 4th step above still needs to be followed.

Kevin

You might want to try something like Good Sync (http://www.goodsync.com/) especially if you have other files that you would like to keep in sync. It's free for non-commercial use.

You can also use it to set up an automated sync between the computers and a thumb drive or a sync between the computers. Once set up it's just a couple of clicks to sync.

Obviously Terry's 4th step above still needs to be followed.

Kevin

I haven't fully tested it for travel yet as most of my entry is still playing catch-up and clean-up but if you have a network at home you can also use drive mapping, and offline files. The offline files should allow you to travel with the laptop and will sync automatically next time it finds your desktop. If you use both at home with external exhibits this has the advantage of being able to add them from both computers but storing them only one one.

I haven't fully tested it for travel yet as most of my entry is still playing catch-up and clean-up but if you have a network at home you can also use drive mapping, and offline files. The offline files should allow you to travel with the laptop and will sync automatically next time it finds your desktop.

I'd caution you to plan carefully before relying on any "fully automated" system - I can see a number of possible risks.

For example, simply opening the Project causes the pjc file to be updated. Opening any tag, source, etc. and making no changes, but hitting OK rather than Cancel, causes a number of files to be updated. So if you were to enter data on one computer, then simply view the project on the other, an auto-sync could discard the files with real changes in favor of later-dated files with no actual data changes.

Of course with any auto-sync system it is vital that you only update on one computer at a time. If you were to add data to both computers and then sync, some of the changes will be discarded.

Finally, since the data set is actually a collection of dozens of files, it seems possible to end up with a mix of files from the two copies, with unpredictable results.

I'd be very careful of any automatic sync approach. I'd expect it to work as long as you are careful to:

1- Only "use" the project on one computer, and

2- Remember "use" includes simply opening the project and looking at the data.

This means, for example, you can't safely take the laptop to the kitchen to look at some data while your desktop is the "live" machine (unless you are careful to use yet another copy of the project).

I think it's much safer to use a system in which you stay in control of the sync process.

I'd caution you to plan carefully before relying on any "fully automated" system - I can see a number of possible risks.

For example, simply opening the Project causes the pjc file to be updated. Opening any tag, source, etc. and making no changes, but hitting OK rather than Cancel, causes a number of files to be updated. So if you were to enter data on one computer, then simply view the project on the other, an auto-sync could discard the files with real changes in favor of later-dated files with no actual data changes.

Of course with any auto-sync system it is vital that you only update on one computer at a time. If you were to add data to both computers and then sync, some of the changes will be discarded.

Finally, since the data set is actually a collection of dozens of files, it seems possible to end up with a mix of files from the two copies, with unpredictable results.

I'd be very careful of any automatic sync approach. I'd expect it to work as long as you are careful to:

1- Only "use" the project on one computer, and

2- Remember "use" includes simply opening the project and looking at the data.

This means, for example, you can't safely take the laptop to the kitchen to look at some data while your desktop is the "live" machine (unless you are careful to use yet another copy of the project).

I think it's much safer to use a system in which you stay in control of the sync process.

I agree, with your point but feel I should clarify that using a mapped network drive does only use one copy of the project when you are on the same network. Ie, my system has the project on my desktop only but I can edit it on my laptop, and TMG automatically locks the record that in open on one, should I accidentally have the same project open on both. That part is in the users guide, and why I have chosen to use this system.

However, after some more testing and playing with offline files, it will not allow you to travel with the laptop since dbf files cannot be made available offline, a fact widows failed to note the first time. It does however, still work for your exhibits, and a backup restore of the project before and after travel would work just fine.

Thanks to all - very informative. I have had some troubles with my LAN and conflicts with my firewall. The best solution for me is to use the backup feature and a USB Data Link cable. It works and it's easy and handy to use.

/ Kurt

Thanks to all - very informative. I have had some troubles with my LAN and conflicts with my firewall. The best solution for me is to use the backup feature and a USB Data Link cable. It works and it's easy and handy to use.

/ Kurt

This may sound very simplistic but it has worked for me for many years. I'm also sure that there are several "cons" to this method but I haven't found them yet. I use both a laptop and and desktop and TMG is installed and setup on both in exactly the same way. When I make changes on one of the computers I copy the changed Project file(s), and PIC, REPORT, etc folders if necessary to a jump drive. I then copy the copies files to the other computer and both are the same. To me, this saves time as I do not have to go through the "backup" process. Just one more way to accomplish the same end result.