Jim M.

Name-Marr tag

TMG's prompting me concerning Name-Marr tags whenever I add a new Wife person.

What's the concensus as to when these tags should be used? Every marriage? Or only those marriages when it's known that "wifey" continues to use her maiden name or she's using the oh-so-stylish hyphenated surname?

I'd guess this is probably a modern phenomenon - but I'd be curious to know if anyone out there has seen any records where wives did this before the 1960's.

In my view, the main value of married name tags is to create names that can be found in the Picklist or Project Explorer. That lets you find a married woman in your data base when you are looking at records created with her married name, such as death and burial records.

I see no value in having these tags appear in reports, simply stating that her married name was whatever. Most reports offer an option to omit these tags, and if they don't I use the Selected tag option on the Tag tab of report Options to suppress them.

If you prefer that narratives refer to women by their married names after marriage, you can achive that by selecting the married name on each of those tags.

For these reasons, I always allow the creation of the married name tag unless the woman involved was living in a time and culture where wives did not use their husbands surname, or I know a specific woman did not do so.

TMG's prompting me concerning Name-Marr tags whenever I add a new Wife person.

What's the concensus as to when these tags should be used? Every marriage? Or only those marriages when it's known that "wifey" continues to use her maiden name or she's using the oh-so-stylish hyphenated surname?

I'd guess this is probably a modern phenomenon - but I'd be curious to know if anyone out there has seen any records where wives did this before the 1960's.

First of all, Jim the rookie, welcome to the TMG and its companion forum.

I get the impression from your homely use of "wifey" and the remarks about "oh-so-stylish hyphenated surname" that you approve of neither.

Having married into a Dutch family I have learnt the real value of the so-called hyphernated names, particularly when tracing back the female side of any family. In this way, I have been able to trace one branch of her family back to the late 1500s - now try that with your UK gr.grandmother's female side of the family. Yes it can be done but not without some very good verifiable sources and the further down the century road you go, the more difficult it is.

I find it a great pity that more UK and US don't adopt the same form. From the hyphernated name it is immediately possible, or at least 90% certain, that the wife's maiden or family name is second, ie in my wife's case her family name is Jonker where nearly all mail addressed to her is written as Mrs Ward-Jonker.

Enjoy TMG

Dave

First of all, Jim the rookie, welcome to the TMG and its companion forum.

I get the impression from your homely use of "wifey" and the remarks about "oh-so-stylish hyphenated surname" that you approve of neither.

Having married into a Dutch family I have learnt the real value of the so-called hyphernated names, particularly when tracing back the female side of any family. In this way, I have been able to trace one branch of her family back to the late 1500s - now try that with your UK gr.grandmother's female side of the family. Yes it can be done but not without some very good verifiable sources and the further down the century road you go, the more difficult it is.

I find it a great pity that more UK and US don't adopt the same form. From the hyphernated name it is immediately possible, or at least 90% certain, that the wife's maiden or family name is second, ie in my wife's case her family name is Jonker where nearly all mail addressed to her is written as Mrs Ward-Jonker.

Enjoy TMG

Dave

In my area, the yuppies and social climbers do the hyphenated thing to increase the perceived level of prestige/social position - something like a nominal tatoo. :blink:

There was no intention to imply anything re: "wifey"... what does it mean to you?

Regards... Jim M-S-B-M ("hubby") ;)

Edited by Jim M.