percy porter

Transferring data to a new PC

I am sure I am missing something down the line but I am having trouble finding a way to transfer data.

I have recently upgraded TMG to v6.09 and I wish to transfer all my data to a new PC. In the earlier version I was able to save my file to a new source then burn it to a cd. So far I have been unable to find a way of doing this.

The two pcs' are networked and if I could find a way it should be possible to transfer the files via the network.

I do not have a floppy on either pc so can not save and transfer that way.

As mentioned earlier I am sure the answer is there somewere but I just can't find it, any help would be apprecaiatted.

Once you have installed TMG on the new machine, there are several ways to transfer the data files. If you need to physically move it with a floppy, CD, thumb drive, etc., the easiest is to make a backup, which compresses the files and combines them into a single file for transfer. Then copy that backup to the new PC, and Restore it. The backup can also include report definitions and other customizations you have made.

Since your machines are networked, it's easy to copy that backup between machines over the network. You could also use the Copy Project command (File menu), but that will not copy your customizations.

Once you have installed TMG on the new machine, there are several ways to transfer the data files. If you need to physically move it with a floppy, CD, thumb drive, etc., the easiest is to make a backup, which compresses the files and combines them into a single file for transfer. Then copy that backup to the new PC, and Restore it. The backup can also include report definitions and other customizations you have made.

Since your machines are networked, it's easy to copy that backup between machines over the network. You could also use the Copy Project command (File menu), but that will not copy your customizations.

Thanks Terry, I understand that, as previously stated neither machine has a floppy so that process is out. The problem I have is actually finding the file with all the data on it and moving it to the folder I use for transferring data between the two pcs'.

With my previous version of TMG I was able to specify a file and location for the data to go to, but now it just seems to dissappear into a hole somewhere. If I knew the name of the file I could do a search and locate it that way, but I don't.

Regards

The problem I have is actually finding the file with all the data on it and moving it to the folder I use for transferring data between the two pcs'.

By "the file" I assume you mean the backup file. It goes where it's specified in Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced, under Backup. With that Project open, check what that setting is.

Or, look at the "Select backup file" field at Step 2 of the backup process - the path will be displayed there. You can uncheck the "Generate archive name automatically" box on that screen and set the folder to what you want manually.

By "the file" I assume you mean the backup file. It goes where it's specified in Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced, under Backup. With that Project open, check what that setting is.

Or, look at the "Select backup file" field at Step 2 of the backup process - the path will be displayed there. You can uncheck the "Generate archive name automatically" box on that screen and set the folder to what you want manually.

Right............

I've mastered some of that but after about an hour of sheer frustration all I have managed to achieve is saving the data to a location that I can access it from the other PC. When I try to open it it comes up with a message that it "does not appear to be a valid PJC File"

:(

Right............

I've mastered some of that but after about an hour of sheer frustration all I have managed to achieve is saving the data to a location that I can access it from the other PC. When I try to open it it comes up with a message that it "does not appear to be a valid PJC File"

:(

If you have successfully moved the Backup .sqz file to the new PC, are you using Restore (not Open) to open the .sqz file?

The only other thing I can think of is if the first PC has an older operating system (like WindowsMe) and an earlier version of tmg (one version had a problem with backups on older operating systems).

Virginia

If you have successfully moved the Backup .sqz file to the new PC, are you using Restore (not Open) to open the .sqz file?

The only other thing I can think of is if the first PC has an older operating system (like WindowsMe) and an earlier version of tmg (one version had a problem with backups on older operating systems).

Virginia

Terry/Virginia........

thanks for your replies, I don't know how but I seem to have mastered it. I fluffed around for most of last night and in the end much to my surprise the transferred data appeared. I think I may well have gone the "restore" route in the end.

I am running TMG UK Edition on both PCs however the earlier one is running ME and the later one XP, however I feel that any problems I may have encountered would have been largely of my own making.

Again thank you both for your input it was much appreciatted and was largely responsible for my ability to percivere rather than throwing both pcs' through the window.

Can you explain to me the difference between .sqc file and .pjc file?

Regards

I'm glad you were able to get it working on the new PC.

TMG backup files have a .sqz extension. Those files cannot be 'Opened', but must be 'Restored'. The backup files are compressed to save room and must be decompressed to be opened. 'Restore' decompresses the files and opens the project.

The .pjc file is a single file in your project - which includes over 80 files. It is a simple text file containing your project settings and is the file TMG looks for and accesses when it 'Opens' your project.

The TMG file structure is explained at:

http://www.tmgtips.com/dbnames2.htm

Hope this helps -

Virginia