Jim M.

The "Professional Amateur" Genealogist's Toolkit

I visited my local state library yesterday. I had a lot of fun figuring out how the system works. (see signature line) After reading and signing a good half-dozen forms, showing my driver's license twice (which was copied both times), I finally reach the manuscript area. There are cameras everywhere - what are those for?

I had -

• An 8.5x11 legal pad in a zippered folio, two carefully chosen black ballpoint pens (had to be sure they'd actually work!), and a 1GB thumb drive
    [Addressing me very slowly, e-nun-ci-a-ting e-ver-y syll-a-ble, she loudly announces to the entire room: "We ask patrons only to use loose paper and pencils in this area. (pointing) That's what the lockers are for." <_< The two "power genealogist" types across the room roll their eyes in unison - how did they do that? Wait - never mind - I know.]
  • No change in hand
    ["Pa-trons are ad-vised to bring su-ffi-cient funds with them to the li-bra-ry, in-clu-ding loo-oose change for the lock-ers." :wacko: I don't know how she did it, but she's got the word "loose" with two syllables - I heard them! And - it's a good thing I don't take myself too seriously.]
  • Not much time to do any research after getting set up in and learning the "system" :(

I ask: "Why do you need cameras? People would actually steal this stuff?" [i get "the look", then her eyes drop down and to the right, and she clears her throat, preparing to speak. Then it hits me.] "Uh, wait a minute, I know." [Of course - there's always been a market for historical documents, stolen or otherwise. I wonder if it's possible to get "Rookie" tatooed on my forehead on a Saturday afternoon. :lookaround:]

I'll be much better prepared next time... :)

I saw a number of people using various combinations of the following items.

• Laptop (some had very expensive Dells - >$4K) - all apparently wireless, no one using Ethernet cables
  • An expensive magnifying glass
  • Loose-leaf notebook paper
  • Pencils out the wazoo
  • Rolls of quarters
  • Some wheeled carry-on luggage rigs, custom designed to carry all of the above
  • Bonafide attitude

What's in your toolkit?

Would you consider -

• A small flatbed scanner - USB-attached to a laptop?
  • A camera?
  • One of those portable document photography "frame" gizmos?

Edited by Jim M.

I've had good success copying full 8 1/2 x 11 sheets with a now ancient 2 MegaPixel digital camera (which I don't think you can even buy anymore). If there is decent light, you can shoot hand-held, with no flash. I'd guess modern camera's would do better.

I found it reassuring to download some test images to my laptop to verify they were satisfactory. The results were probably not as good as a good scanner, but very readable, and nothing has to touch the original. That's an issue with some originals.

I carry my laptop

Pens

Postit notes,

Hard candy (if I get low blood sugar, I get a migraine)

Lots of change

TMG

And it doesn't hurt to take a small snack in case you get lucky and don't want to take a long lunch. THe TN archives has lockers for this, but they allow laptops, etc into the library, but they do search you when you leave.

I wonder why it is that many libraries and archives are so anti-notebook-computer? The good news is that the attitude seems to be changing, but it's no surprise that government-agency-run facilities are the last to adapt.

Personally, I've been drooling over pen-based scanners for a long time now. Have yet to justify such a purchase. I've not had much luck with using a digital camera, but I haven't spent a lot of time trying to make it work, either!

Have you used the macro setting on the camera? This usually works best for "up close" photos.

I've not had much luck with using a digital camera, but I haven't spent a lot of time trying to make it work, either!

Laura,

I think it's because we take in a laptop, and scanner, and we basically can bypass their one way to "tax" non-residents of the county, photocopying fees. True they are probably only making 1-2 cents on each page when you consider paper, ink and copy repair, but multiply that by say 10,000 sheets a day, and you are looking at a fairly large income over the year on genealogists, that a cheap scanner and a laptop can easily remove.

That and laptops usually come in large cases where documents and books can easily be stolen from the library or archives with relative ease.

Laura,

I think it's because we take in a laptop, and scanner, and we basically can bypass their one way to "tax" non-residents of the county, photocopying fees. True they are probably only making 1-2 cents on each page when you consider paper, ink and copy repair, but multiply that by say 10,000 sheets a day, and you are looking at a fairly large income over the year on genealogists, that a cheap scanner and a laptop can easily remove.

That and laptops usually come in large cases where documents and books can easily be stolen from the library or archives with relative ease.

Egad! Sorry, but I just had to respond to this one.

There is an "Unnamed" County in Virginia that charges $3.00 per copy for any certificate, bond, bahn, license, etc. This fee is charged whether the copy is Certified or unCertified. The copier is old -- the last time I saw one, like this county uses, in the business world was c. 1999. Patrons generally are not allowed to make their own copies, yet employee made copies are often smudged, off center, and light to the point of unusable. Copier repairs are not always done in a timely manner and, because of the age of the copier, you stand a 50-50 chance of walking away empty handed for the day set aside to visit the court house. This particular court house comes nowhere close to 10,000 copies per day, but is closer to 100-200 copies on a good day. Camera's, scanners, and notebook computers are not allowed. Resident or non-resident makes no difference.

Let's say they make 100 copies per day at $3.00 per copy. That's $300.00 per day, $1,500.00 per 5-day week. Using a 50-week year that comes to a whopping $75,000.00. In your case of 10,000 copies per day that would be an unheard of $150,000.00 per week and $7,500,000 per 50-week year! A more reasonable amount of $0.50 per copy is charged at other court houses, yet this still comes to $12,500.00 per 50-week year for just 100 copies per day. At either rate per copy I expect a class A copier, excellent reproductions, toner lining the walls, multiple sized paper trays, and employees that know their left hand from their right. Since most court houses do not provide those features I expect to be able to use a camera, scanner, and notebook computer. After all, part of my tax dollars go toward their salaries, the building, the equipment, and even down to helping me.

Yes, but no matter what they make off copies, it is pure profit. I can't believe the haven't bought new copieres and yes, there's a county like that in TN too.

I am just telling you why they don't allow scanners according to what I have been told.

Interesting. The only reason I want to use a scanner or camera or photocopier, in general, is to acquire a usable image of a fragile book that is not allowed to be used on the photocopier at all. My philosophy is always to get a copy of the original document, as notetaking is prone to error. I want (or I want my successors) to be able to re-examine the document later to see if I missed some data or copied something wrong.

Otherwise, the only reason I want to use my notebook computer is to be able to save time and effort on my part, entering data directly into TMG (or even into a plain text file) instead of taking notes with a pencil and paper. I have been taking notes on a notebook computer for both work and school for over ten years, and find it very efficient, and much easier to keep notes organized (not to mention that I can type faster than I can write). In the case of a book (or other source) that cannot be photocopied, I can type the text verbatim faster than I would be able to jot notes extracting the info I want. This is my preferred method if I can't make a digital image (1st preference) or a photocopy (2nd preference).

I've always been lectured by staff that x cents a page is a "nominal" fee that doesn't even cover paper and toner. I'll have to do the math next time!

Edited by laura1814

I've always been lectured by staff that x cents a page is a "nominal" fee that doesn't even cover paper and toner. I'll have to do the math next time!

Well- Officemax has copy paper at $28.99 per 5000 sheets [.005798 cents per sheet] so they must be using Gold for toner !

OK - COME ON, GUYS. There's a lot of you pros out there that have completely dissed this thread.

So - what do you bring to a state archives?

A new twist on the same train of thougt-- How do you prepare for a cemetery visit? What do you take?

It would seem to me that if there's not enough response here - there will be some of you (in my area, at least) that will be interrupted to have these questions posed to you... but nobody wants that, right?

Reply to this thread!

Sincerely -

Jim "Rookie with questions" M. (see below)

Well, for cemeteries, I take:

Camera and LOTS of digital film

AA batteries

Laptop

snake boots

Bug spray

soft brush to remove dirt and leaves

husband (or other friend)

cell phone

map of area (in case I need to call 911)

snacks (in case the local town is a long way off)

So - what do you bring to a state archives?

A new twist on the same train of thougt-- How do you prepare for a cemetery visit? What do you take?

For a cemetery visit I go loaded and it doesn't matter if it's a church, family or public cemetery. Let's see ...

Notebook computer -- never know when I'm going to want to look something up or upload pictures to it

Two 1Gb memory sticks

Digital camera with 1Gb memory

Battery charger -- one charger for AA and AAA batteries

AA rechargeable batteries -- about 10 or 12 so I don't have to wait while they charge

Small tape recorder -- preferably voice activated

AAA rechargeable batteries -- about 6 so I don't have to wait while they charge

Boots in trunk of car -- in case I need them instead of tennis shoes

Bug spray -- more bug spray -- depending on the season, more bug spray

Soft brush

Gallon of water

Pocket knife -- this fall I will purchase a machete to keep in the trunk

Cell phone

County map of each county I "might" go to

Another person (wife, daughter, cousin, friend), although I've done cemeteries by myself

Drinking water, snacks (including chips and candy), and at least one soda

A small pack of any medications I might need -- band-aids too

Basically I take the exact same items with me to the state and county library, state archives, genealogical societies, visiting people, etc. I didn't mention a full page scanner in the list above because I don't use it at cemeteries, but it's in the car in case I stop somewhere that it's needed. Maybe you think I'm nuts for having all these things available all the time; maybe, but catch this. I'll never forget the day I was doing a cemetery in Campbell County, Virginia. On the way back to where I was staying in Charlotte County I decided to stop by and see a very distant relative I had never met. Much to my surprise, Lenny pulled out an 1850 Family Bible with BMD information recorded! I began to drool. HA HA Needless to say, I was able to scan what I wanted on the spot. It looks like a lot of items to take with me, but they take up an amazingly small amount of room. Most of it always stays in the car or trunk, but at least its there if I need it.

Don't forget to come home and upload those pictures to the local county website. or county cemetery website. No sense in doing them and not sharing them.

I have had so many positive emails from my website that I can't even begin to tell you how many lives I have touched and most of the work has been done by other researchers. I always pass the praise on to the proper researcher too so they can see how much thier work has touched others.

Don't forget to come home and upload those pictures to the local county website. or county cemetery website. No sense in doing them and not sharing them.

I have had so many positive emails from my website that I can't even begin to tell you how many lives I have touched and most of the work has been done by other researchers. I always pass the praise on to the proper researcher too so they can see how much thier work has touched others.

I'd also suggest adding them to th Find-A-Grave website! Great resource.

For a cemetery visit I go loaded.....

Pocket knife -- this fall I will purchase a machete to keep in the trunk

I take the exact same items with me to the state and county library, state archives, genealogical societies, visiting people, etc.

Really! ;)

Keeping on topic, I am planning my first proper outing soon and I would have forgot a lot of stuff if I hadnt read these.

Ben

Edited by The Oakster

This hot weather made me almost forget something. Between early October and early May I carry at least 3 winter jackets, 3 flannel shirts, and a couple of sweatshirts along with me -- all are my size, so they will fit almost anyone. HA HA HA They get folded up and squished, and I put them in that little area in the trunk that's behind the backseat of the car. You would be dazzled at the number of folks I've had with me that forget to bring something to keep warm in if the winds pick up or if the temps drop. It's appreciated, takes no effort, takes almost no space, and always sitting there just in case it's needed. I also have a supply of those large, black trash bags just in case it rains and someone wants to cover up a bit.

Again, I know this sounds like a lot of stuff to haul around. It really isn't that much. Most of it is small and fits into those nooks and crannies in the trunk of the car. Some goes in the glove compartment. I have a carrying case that holds both the notebook computer and the scanner. The rest goes in one of those genealogical society bags. It all works great.

Well, I don't think I carry much that different from others, but here's a list:

a folio with a pad of good lined paper

plastic folder for copies

sticky notes

leather book weight for holding books open

a metal gizmo for holding books open

a pencil bag containing:

----several pencils

----plastic erasers (block or long pencil-size)

----straight-edge/ruler

----box/paper cutter

----magnifying glass

----calculator

----pens

----pen and pencil refills

notebook computer

power supply & cord

flash drive

sometimes, depending on what specifically I'm researching, I'll take earlier notes, photocopies, 3-ring binders, etc.

sweatshirt or overshirt, clean socks (I'm always cold in libraries)

light reading

snacks and candy in case I get low blood sugar

several water bottles

eye drops, kleenex, bandages, etc.

cell phone

All this goes in a briefcase on wheels.

always in the car (packed by my mom the Girl Scout):

jumper cables

first-aid kit

flares and flags

Key-map of Houston

map of Beaumont

at least one map of Texas, maybe more

paper towels

cloth towel

TP

wet ones

eye drops

gum

whisk broom

plastic bags

I'm sure there's some other stuff in there I'm forgetting! How's that for a start?

Edited by laura1814

Darn ... Laura's latest post just reminded me how good this thread really is! She mentioned things I didn't have on my list that I do take (and I bet Teresa does too) and things I should take, but never seem to think of when I'm packing. After seeing all the great information being posted about "The Genealogist's Toolkit" or "The Well-equipped Genealogist," I'm thinking about some kind of checklist. This would be especially nice for the novice, but would serve a good purpose for some of us "forgetful" ol' timers. If anyone can add to the list of items, please do it. (Um-m-m-m, no gourmet meals or Hummer's please. :rolleyes: )

I forgot to mention my digital camera! I probably forget to pack it too! :)

What did you forget to pack, Tom? TP?

People are always amazed that I keep jumper cables in my car. To me, that one's a no-brainer! I mean, the only time I'll ever need them, whether for my own car or for someone else's, is in my car! (BTW my car just turned over 100K and I don't think it's ever needed a jump! It's a Subaru Forester: MUCH better than a Hummer!)

Seriously, the eye drops and facial tissues are pretty important for me. I get the sniffles in cold libraries and driving with a/c dries out my eyes, plus it's dry in libraries. Oh! I forgot to mention hand lotion and lip balm! In summer sometimes I wear shorts outside and carry a pair of sweatpants because it's so cold inside.

And I forgot to say that when in a picky library or archive that won't let me take in anything but pencils and paper, I put everything in a locker except about two pencils, eraser, kleenex, and the folio pad.

And these days, I rarely use quarters. Copicards, my friends!

Edited by laura1814

What did you forget to pack, Tom? TP?

:crybaby: Wouldn't want to be caught without the ol' TP! :thumbsup: HA HA HA HA HA And a box of those moist wipe thingies. Seriously, they are useful for a lot of things. Just wiping the ol' face down after its been beat with minor blowing dust feels good.

But I forgot to say anything at all about paper, pencils, pens, hi-liters for marking maps, and all that good stuff. Eye drops are a real necessity if you suffer from any form of "dry eyes" like Laura and me. And then there's the lip balm -- for some reason, I can't be in a cemetery for more than 10 minutes and my lips are dry and cracking.

Have we mentioned gloves? A pair of gloves for almost any cemetery that is off the beaten path. Thorn bushes, briars, sticks, pricklys, low branches, moving something that has fallen, um-m-m chasing a possum out of the way, keeping poisonous plants away from your hands -- all these things and many more are reasons to always have a pair of gloves. Not to mention that if you have to do any cemetery clean-up gloves are almost going to be required.

YES! Copicards are the way to go for places that have them implemented. Convienent, hassle free, no pockets or purses full of change.

My briefcase on wheels is more like a small suitcase on wheels. I found one that exactly holds the fullsize scanner on one side and the notebook computer (in case) on the other side. There is enough room on the notebook side to hold a few small items, like pens and paper and such. The other "bag" I take is one of those genealogical society bags -- kind of a canvas thing. It holds a ton of small stuff.

For those wondering, again, it sounds like a lot of stuff to carry or haul around. Its not. Just a little bit of planning and you'd be surprised at the little space it really takes. Still have lots of room for suitcases and other stuff if I'm going on an out-of-town trip by myself or with the family.

Darn ... Laura's latest post just reminded me how good this thread really is! She mentioned things I didn't have on my list that I do take (and I bet Teresa does too) and things I should take, but never seem to think of when I'm packing. After seeing all the great information being posted about "The Genealogist's Toolkit" or "The Well-equipped Genealogist," I'm thinking about some kind of checklist. This would be especially nice for the novice, but would serve a good purpose for some of us "forgetful" ol' timers. If anyone can add to the list of items, please do it. (Um-m-m-m, no gourmet meals or Hummer's please. :rolleyes: )

For those cemetery trips you might want to add a good flashlight. Sometimes changing the way light is hitting an older headstone might be the difference between a photo that can provide a good reference and a picture of a grey stone that nothing can be read on.

Dave

Wet wipes are one of the most valued components of care packages for soldiers in Iraq!

Okay, I'm going to out on a limb here. The last time I tromped around a country cemetery it was not well planned. I wished I had a portapotty.

Okay, I'm going to out on a limb here. The last time I tromped around a country cemetery it was not well planned. I wished I had a portapotty.

Hm-m-m-m. Isn't that what the woods are for? :rolleyes:

Nope, not gonna delve any deeper in this particular line of thinking. :angelnot: