Donald Joseph Schulteis

What is AVATAR?

What is AVATAR?

I think an avatar is defined (roughly) as "a digital representation of a user in a virtual context." In virtual reality contexts, avatars are dynamic or interactive. The avatar simulates the user's movement through the virtual space, the user's mood, etc. This forum software supports a simple icon that appears in the box to the left of posts you submit.

Although it's been adapted for contemporary internet use as the embodiment of the communicator, it is not a new word and is in the dictionary. One usage is from Hindu mythology, where an avatar is the incarnation of Vishnu.

Virginia

What you see at the left on this message. You can pick from a list (actually three) or upload your own.

To be clear, there are three lists (or galleries) - or a total of some 40+ available avatars. You can choose among them or you can point to one that you have saved on a different server.

.....You can choose among them or you can point to one that you have saved on a different server.

Bob, Duncan is darling! :D

Now that I know what an avatar is, I want to put up one of my own but I haven't a clue of how one would get a jpg or other graphic saved on a server to be pointed to -- I feel sort of dumb not knowing and figure it's probably easy, IF you know how to do it! Can someone clue me in????

Thanks!

Kerry

Go to your control panel, and use the link on the left to Edit Avatar. On that screen you will see the specifications as to size and file types allowed. Create an image you like that meets those specs. Since it looks like you have a website, you could upload it to that site. Then, go back to the edit avatar screen and enter the address on the Link to field. I'd think it might be something like:

http://www.davisbeantrees.com/myavatar.jpg

though that would very depending on what you called the image and where you loaded it on your website.

..... Since it looks like you have a website, you could upload it to that site. Then, go back to the edit avatar screen and enter the address on the Link to field. I'd think it might be something like:

http://www.davisbeantrees.com/myavatar.jpg

though that would very depending on what you called the image and where you loaded it on your website.

Oh, that's easier than I thought it would be -- something to play with tomorrow! Thanks so much Terry!

Kerry

To be clear, there are three lists (or galleries) - or a total of some 40+ available avatars.  You can choose among them or you can point to one that you have saved on a different server.

Somehow, I never quite pictured you looking like that Bob....

I'm most impressed with this entire 'Community' and look forward to participating frequently.

B)

Joan