Lee39

Sort order for undated tags in reports

Hi, my name is Willie. I have TMG v6.07. Is there any way to control the sort order for undated tags when printing reports? On the screen, I have 2 undated "Name" tags at the top, and 2 undated "Misc." tags (which I created) at the bottom. This is exactly the order in which I would like my "Individual Detail" reports to be printed. However, when I actually print the reports, TMG always moves my 2 undated "Misc." tags from the bottom to the top, directly under my 2 undated "Name" tags. I currently have my preference for sorting undated tags set on "Bottom," but this does not seem to affect the sort order on the screen OR on my reports.

Hi, my name is Willie. I have TMG v6.07. Is there any way to control the sort order for undated tags when printing reports? On the screen, I have 2 undated "Name" tags at the top, and 2 undated "Misc." tags (which I created) at the bottom. This is exactly the order in which I would like my "Individual Detail" reports to be printed. However, when I actually print the reports, TMG always moves my 2 undated "Misc." tags from the bottom to the top, directly under my 2 undated "Name" tags. I currently have my preference for sorting undated tags set on "Bottom," but this does not seem to affect the sort order on the screen OR on my reports.

First make sure you are in the Advanced Editing mode...Preferences>Program Options>Data Entry, click on Advance under Data Entry Mode...

This gives you access to a Sort Date for all tags...enter a Sort Date to put the tags in the sequence you want...the Sort Date never prints and is just used for sequencing tags...

This gives you access to a Sort Date for all tags...enter a Sort Date to put the tags in the sequence you want...the Sort Date never prints and is just used for sequencing tags...

The sort date does nothing to control where these tags end up on the reports. I have posted many times under Wish List and asked that this be changed. The sort date works wonderfully on the screen view BUT NOT REPORTS!!!

Again, TMG, please add the sort date capability to reports. I have TMG set to view the undated fields at the bottom. I would like to be able to do the same thing for reports. Going back and putting sort dates in hundreds of tags is not practical.

Anita

The sort date does nothing to control where these tags end up on the reports. I have posted many times under Wish List and asked that this be changed. The sort date works wonderfully on the screen view BUT NOT REPORTS!!

It certainly does work in reports. I use it all the time to control the order of tags in reports. :)

Are you talking about the option to specify where undated tags appear? That option does apply only to the person view, and applies only to tags with no sort date.

It certainly does work in reports. I use it all the time to control the order of tags in reports. :)

Are you talking about the option to specify where undated tags appear? That option does apply only to the person view, and applies only to tags with no sort date.

Terry,

I am talking about journal reports, individual narrative and other reports. All show undated tags right after the person's name. If I put a sort date in TMG, the tag is sorted according to that date. The undated tags do not sort to the bottom like they do in TMG if that option is checked in preferences.

Anita

Terry,

I am talking about journal reports, individual narrative and other reports. All show undated tags right after the person's name. If I put a sort date in TMG, the tag is sorted according to that date. The undated tags do not sort to the bottom like they do in TMG if that option is checked in preferences.

Anita

Yep, like Terry just said, the option checked in preferences for where undated tags sort works ONLY for the Person View, and does NOT affect reports. This is why I always set that option to sort first, as that is the way they will show in reports. This helps to remind me that if I want them to apper in some other order I need to add a Sort Date to those tags.

If you have lots of tags that have no Sort Dates and you want them to sort in a particular order, one way to force a sort date on tags to ensure that tag sort by the TYPE of tag would be using TMG Utility. See its feature of "set sort dates", but carefully read its help file that explains what it will and will not do. This utility does NOT have an option to force all undated tags to sort last.

Michael

The sort date does nothing to control where these tags end up on the reports. I have posted many times under Wish List and asked that this be changed. The sort date works wonderfully on the screen view BUT NOT REPORTS!!!

Again, TMG, please add the sort date capability to reports. I have TMG set to view the undated fields at the bottom. I would like to be able to do the same thing for reports. Going back and putting sort dates in hundreds of tags is not practical.

Anita

It works in reports for me and always has since I started using TMG...

First make sure you are in the Advanced Editing mode...Preferences>Program Options>Data Entry, click on Advance under Data Entry Mode...

I tried it, and you're right! It works like a charm for my individual detail reports! The key is to leave the "Date" box empty for your undated tag but type in any date you wish -- that is, a date that would put your undated tag in sequence with your other tags -- in the "Sort Date" box. The report will print in the exact order it appears on the screen! I even went back and looked at the sample project that came with TMG and double-clicked on an undated tag. Sure enough, the "Date" box was empty, but a date was put in the "Sort Date" box, so that the tag would stay in the preferred order on the screen AND on the printed report.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi, my name is Willie. I have TMG v6.07.

Willie,

I'm glad you figured out the solution to your problem! Aren't these folks wonderful?

I'm writing because you said that you are using 6.07. The current version is 6.09. You can check for an update from the Help menu in TMG if you are connected to the internet.

could I add a third, please?